Winter protection

2ndy

Advanced Member
Didn't even know there was a detailing section!

Seeing people use their imports all year round and then looking immaculate has got me in the mood to not put my car into storage and enjoy it the odd time over winter!

It goes for paint correction in the new year so for now I just polished and waxed it today. Going to use ACF 50 underneath and in the engine bay.

Anyone any other tips for keep the cars good?

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I give my car regular washes. I don't use it daily as my work is walking distance. It is outside in the rain everyday though at the moment until I get a house with a garage next year.. hopefully!

If you use a snow foam to get most of the rubbish off before cleaning it and then make sure you do the 2 bucket wash to prevent getting any small scratches.

Most importantly for me is the salt on the road. Sometimes is unpreventable as I don't have a second car at the moment. But I try and keep it off the road on the worst days when the gritters are out in numbers. I am now in the habit of using the hose on a really hide setting and getting on my knees and giving it a blast under the car. That will get any salt lying about off. My car has been very well undersealed underneath and in all the cavity's but giving it a quick spray underneath gives me some reassurance that salt isn't doing any damage.

My car is super clean underneath so I am OCD about keeping it that way!

I got my car back in July and the import company had it detailed and ceramic coated so it's protected for this winter. The general rule of thumb I had with previous cars was a polish and wax before and then after winter.

Jordan

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I give my car regular washes. I don't use it daily as my work is walking distance. It is outside in the rain everyday though at the moment until I get a house with a garage next year.. hopefully!

If you use a snow foam to get most of the rubbish off before cleaning it and then make sure you do the 2 bucket wash to prevent getting any small scratches.

Most importantly for me is the salt on the road. Sometimes is unpreventable as I don't have a second car at the moment. But I try and keep it off the road on the worst days when the gritters are out in numbers. I am now in the habit of using the hose on a really hide setting and getting on my knees and giving it a blast under the car. That will get any salt lying about off. My car has been very well undersealed underneath and in all the cavity's but giving it a quick spray underneath gives me some reassurance that salt isn't doing any damage.

My car is super clean underneath so I am OCD about keeping it that way!
This is basically the case with me and my car, it's outside 24/7 as I sell my house and move onto another with a garage so as it's my only car and I walk to work etc it's used whenever needed and just cleaned properly after if any salts been put down recently.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Mines sat in my garage, filthy, after being used for the first time in two months! Took my 4 year old son to Oulton Park as there was an open pit day on and I wanted to check it out. He got to sit in a Caterham which he was super pleased about :)

I‘ll probably do a foam, dry and stick another coat of wax on this weekend, but she‘ll be laid up now until next year. I have some Dynax S50 on order so I‘ll be stripping the interior out, skirts off (and repainted) etc etc. Very lucky to have a nice double garage!

lewis87

Advanced Member
Quality underseal like Dynax UC and their cavity wax S50 with lots of anti corrosion spray ACF50 like you say in the engine bay on alloy parts, brackets, anything! Ha.

I use a jet wash to wash all the salt from the underside and put it away in my garage.

Although being parked outside is fine I think, the enemy is the salt not so much just being wet.