Winter tyres - do any of you run these

p1tse

Advanced Member
I probably know the answer already and would imagine very few run specific winter tyres

I know these topics always has some who think:
- you've been driving for years and never needed them, why now
- dc5 should be tucked away in bad conditions
- you've got the skills on normal tyres
- we don't get enough snow

But:
- I've seen some imports come with winter tyres, I assume would have come from heights and cold of japan, so know Japanese use them
- I've had them on a previous car albeit a rwd BMW, the confidence it gave me was phenomenal ie icey quantock lanes
- they performed well in wet and cold conditions and save the summer tyre wear

So do any of you actually run winter tyres?

martinj46

Advanced Member
When my DC5 was in daily use, I used kumho winter tyres during winter. Living quite far north in Scotland, and out in the country, it was a no brainier for me. You've got to remember they aren't "snow tyres" so even if it doesn't snow you'll still see the benefit of them. They were noticeable better in cold, damp conditions. Anything above 10 degrees though and they were awful. I've since run Michelin winters on another car, and they worked fairly well no matter what the temperature, I'd definitely buy them again.

Chewy

Advanced Member
I have a set of winter tyres on my OEM wheels for winter - Nexen Wingaurd sport (215/45/17 91 V XL).

DC5 is my daily, I don't have an alternative at present so chose to give them a go, I have quite early starts for work and I find I'm usually out before the gritters are so the snow/ice is untouched, plus the stretch of dual carrige way I use is renowned for pooling water.

They've served their purpose so far, they were a cheaper alternative, around £50 a corner, Not driven in the snow/winter conditions on the Eagle F1's so I have no comparison but I don't rate them (F1's) all that well in wet conditions anyway.

They've got me through 2 seasons so far and no major pants filling moments with the winters on, obviously I've not pushed the DC5 when I have them on due to conditions but they're all good.

Handle snow/Ice/standing water very well, reduced aquaplaning, and as you've suggested swapping wheels have prolonged the life of both sets of tyres and the winters are still good to go on for their 3rd season.

Fez

Advanced Member
Uniroyal Rainsports is what i usually use through the winter, awesome tyre and very good price too.

But i just bought re070 as an all rounder

p1tse

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Uniroyal Rainsports is what i usually use through the winter, awesome tyre and very good price too.

But i just bought re070 as an all rounder
Good luck as a mate said the re070 are awesome in dry and he notices when damp

@ chewy, thanks. I remember back on another forum some other mentioned and recommend nexen actually. Like you say you don't push on as hard in conditions and they help in adverse conditions

Fez

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Good luck as a mate said the re070 are awesome in dry and he notices when damp
I always used federal 595 rsr in the dry and when it was wet it was terrible lol. But so far the re070 seems to be better in wet and dry

nellly

Advanced Member
last year the Re070's were a little poor in the snow but they was running close to the wear markers so that is to be expected. we will see how they fair this winter as they are only a couple of months old.

To be honest though last year we only had 3 days where you really needed another set of tyres where i live in Derbyshire. i just cant see it being worth it buying another set just for a few days.