Winter tyres

Stewlark

Advanced Member
Obviously this is wrong time to talk about these.
I was wondering if any of you guys run winter tyres in the winter. I won't be as I am fortunate enough to have another car.
I have received an extra spare set of wheels on the purchase of my car and they have winter tyres on. I personally don't think dc5 owners will run them, but I am looking for someone to prove me wrong so I can decide where to sell them.

So does anyone run winter tyres?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
i have always ran eagle f1's in the winter.

what winter tyres are they?

Stewlark

Advanced Member
Yer been looking for them online for quite a bit, but aren't really retailed in this country.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hmm. Might be interested in these. I will be running my OEM wheels in the winter so could be a good idea as I will have AD08r's.

Benneh

Advanced Member
Mandatory in the UK? What rubbish. In the extremes of the Highlands they may well be granted, but the UK never gets weather bad enough to warrant winter tyres. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the idea of them and the added control and stability they add in cold conditions, but mandatory is a bit extreme when the majority of cold-climate accidents could be avoided through more careful application of the right foot!

nellly

Advanced Member
you only have to look at the last winter, we had nothing that needed anything close to winter tyres. but the few years before that we had a good few weeks of bad weather that you could have taken advantage of some winter tyres but do you really want another set of tyres for only a few days of the year.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
I dont have the need for winter tyres due to company car, etc. I won't be using the teg in the winter as it will be garaged.
Winter tyres operate better than normal tyres in temperatures below 7 degrees, which in our country is usually for a few months. I wasn't convinced by them but my brother in law has a bmw m135i and he swears by them. He has noticed the difference on them as well as on a golf gti mk6 that he had previously. He uses them every year now.
I will be selling the set I have as I won't be using them.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Stewlark said:
I dont have the need for winter tyres due to company car, etc. I won't be using the teg in the winter as it will be garaged.
Winter tyres operate better than normal tyres in temperatures below 7 degrees, which in our country is usually for a few months. I wasn't convinced by them but my brother in law has a bmw m135i and he swears by them. He has noticed the difference on them as well as on a golf gti mk6 that he had previously. He uses them every year now.
I will be selling the set I have as I won't be using them.
Have you sold these yet?

Stewlark

Advanced Member
No I still have them. Not had time to think or do anything with them yet. I don't even know what they are worth.

haitch

Advanced Member
It may be only a few months but well worth it, you don't need an expensive set & depending on your mileage you will get 2-4 seasons from them with proper storage, just put mine on the Mondeo, probably take them off in mid March or April, trying the Nokians this time.

I don't drive fast on the road but they handle better, have more grip & stop quicker in the cold, nights & early mornings especially as I do shifts, sure it does not snow much & it was mild last year, but when it does its great to watch people floundering on the road & small hills, its a no brainer.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
p1tse said:
Did you just get the tyres?

They are rated for minimum tread at 4mm
They came with the car when I imported it in June. Look pretty new, I will measure the tyre depths soon. I will be putting them up for sale soon. When I get a spare 5 mins basically!