Winter Tyres

adam.

Advanced Member
I just put a set of EP3 wheels on, with some Avon ZZ3s.

The car won't be coming out of the garage very often, Jesus I'd forgotten how bad normal tyres are.

They're not winter tyres per se though, and they're 215/45R17.

spooke

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Got uniroyal rainsport 3's on the girlfriends ep3, they have so much grip in the wet.
I've had them before on my previous cars, but I want something specifically for ice/snow.

adamlstr said:
I just put a set of EP3 wheels on, with some Avon ZZ3s.

The car won't be coming out of the garage very often, Jesus I'd forgotten how bad normal tyres are.

They're not winter tyres per se though, and they're 215/45R17.
I'll be driving mine daily so I'm after some winters. Currently using AD08R but want to put my OEM wheels back on for winter and start refurbing my wheels - however the tyres they have are shockingly bad so I thought I may as well replace them with winter tyres.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had Toyo Snowprox on my old DC5 on EP3 wheels/tyre size. Fine through the winter and dealt with snow with easy.

Chewy

Advanced Member
I had 215/45/17 winter tyres on OEM wheels for when I ran mine as a daily, I went for budget type just to give them ago 'Nexen Wingaurd Sport'.

I have quite early starts so usually set off before the gritters had been out again in the morning, Drove in Wet, icy and snow conditions and they performed very well, Obviously when I say 'performed' common sense was applied and I never pushed the car in those conditions.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I had Toyo Snowprox on my old DC5 on EP3 wheels/tyre size. Fine through the winter and dealt with snow with easy.
Sounds good, will check out some reviews but they're a little pricey for what I want to pay for winter tyres.

Chewy said:
I had 215/45/17 winter tyres on OEM wheels for when I ran mine as a daily, I went for budget type just to give them ago 'Nexen Wingaurd Sport'.

I have quite early starts so usually set off before the gritters had been out again in the morning, Drove in Wet, icy and snow conditions and they performed very well, Obviously when I say 'performed' common sense was applied and I never pushed the car in those conditions.
Judging from last year generally the roads I use are pretty clear, I do leave for work early (6am). From the reviews they seem pretty decent for the cost, gotta be better than Yokohama ECOS ES31 :)

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
the 2 I'd go with would be either eagle f1's or conti sport contacts.
I'm sure there's loads out there though.

brilliant in the wet, can't comment on performance in the snow though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

p1tse

Advanced Member
I've had specific winter tyres before on a rwd family motor

From memory I think they were falken. I think any branded branded mid range will be good if requiring them.

They got me through snowy quantock hills but still had to be cautious, then again I would have had no chance with summer tyres.

Some are good for wet, icy, snow, mud conditions; so are worth the performance compromise of spirited driving for the grip of you tackle these situations on a regular basis

spooke

Advanced Member
Jinis dust said:
the 2 I'd go with would be either eagle f1's or conti sport contacts.
I'm sure there's loads out there though.

brilliant in the wet, can't comment on performance in the snow though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I want tyres specifically for rain and snow. Thanks though.

Patch_teg said:
I've had specific winter tyres before on a rwd family motor

From memory I think they were falken. I think any branded branded mid range will be good if requiring them.

They got me through snowy quantock hills but still had to be cautious, then again I would have had no chance with summer tyres.

Some are good for wet, icy, snow, mud conditions; so are worth the performance compromise of spirited driving for the grip of you tackle these situations on a regular basis
Generally it's just a slushy road I have to deal with and the odd bit of snow. I just don't really fancy tackling it with AD08R's or the ditch finders my original wheels have :D

p1tse

Advanced Member
I know others have managed winters on ad08r

But I can't recommend winters highly enough in adverse conditions; but some will say we don't get enough bad weather.
Saying that a friend had winters on a BMW 330 all year as a commuter

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Michelin Alpin are a fantastic winter tyre for snow, I ran them one particularly bad year that I had to cross the length of the A66 to the M6 multiple times in deep snow and couldn't believe how good they were (on an avensis hack I had).

Only problem I found was that I could stop in snow at a significantly shorter distance than the cars behind me running normal tyres so something to be conscious of, makes for some thrilling entertainment via the rear view mirror though 😝

wj51fut

Advanced Member
AD08R's in Snowdonia! Lol.

I think I will look for a set for the Chavic in the new year so will keep an eye on this thread.