Anyone here owned an S2000?

rick c

Advanced Member
Looks like I'll be selling the Teg... for an S2000 :green:

I'm starting to get itchy feet and fancy a change, and I might take the opportunity to free up a bit of cash also by selling the Teg and picking up an early (01) S2000. I'll be sad to see the Teg go (although I'm not quite ready to sell yet) but I thought I'd start looking at what's available.

I know quite a few of you have owned S2000's and moved to/from DC5's so I wonder if you could give me any insight into everyday ownership?

MarkyD

Advanced Member
Everyday ownership with regards to running costs are about the same, although the insurance is cheaper.

The engine is amazing but the steering feels a bit numb and that ruined the driving experience for me. The early cars were a bit tail happy but thats not aways a bad thing if you know what your doing. Stock for stock i think the s2 is a quicker car but i always feel more confident to push the limits in my DC5.

Comfort wise, the s2000 is a good everyday car and more refined than the DC5 but you dont buy a car for this you buy a car for grin factor and the DC5 wins on that one.

linzi94

Advanced Member
i had a shot of my mate's s2 and it was a total anti climax. i was expecting so much more. i expressed this to him, then gave him a shot of my car and he couldnt believe the difference; more responsive, more stable, and faster. he had that gutted look on his face as he got back into his s2.

rick c

Advanced Member
To be totally honest I wouldn't mind something a little more refined... most of the roads near me are littered with pot holes and speed bumps which the Teg just isn't built for.

Besides I don't expect I'd own it for more than a year or so...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
wife has one, its heavily modded, my teg would have eaten it alive. insurance is expensive compared to any other jap car, was even more than the evo

rick c

Advanced Member
Does anyone know how it might compare to an RX8 in terms of outright acceleration and track handling? I've done a few laps at the ring in an RX8 and loved it! I suppose those are the main things I'd find difficult to discover without actually owning an S2.

larz

Advanced Member
RX8 has the rotary (wankle) engine which is high maintenance from what i've read. Also, don't be surprised to get under 20mpg in an rx8... they're supposed to be great fun to drive but a nightmare to own.

be aware of the tax and insurance too though as some companies see it as a 2.7litre and other even think it's a 3.5litre. Lovely looking car and rear wheel drive is a bit of fun but the teg won hands down when i was deciding what to buy...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
RX8 is slow by comparrison, they are horrendous on fuel and use loads of oil too more than any honda

the rx8 would be much easier to drive fast due to its neutral feel (compared to the s2k) but you will find the s2k more rewarding.
I always think of the rx8 as a kind of sports looking car that my dad would drive, bit softer, bit easier etc.

I think the prodrive versions are better tho. best thing is to go and drive some.

plus very soon we will be hopefully selling lots of cool stuff for an s2k ;) ;)
Ti exhaust, wheels, bodykit etc etc.

rick c

Advanced Member
Good stuff I'll arrange some test drives then :)

This may be a stupid question but I expect the JDM S2000 and the UK spec S2000 are the same?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
some claim they have more hp, but on the dyno it would appear thats not always the case, it is more likely down to the better fuel they have in Japan. and some are up some are down but i have never seen one make the anywhere near the claimed factory hp, always at least 20 short.
normally seem to be around 215 ish. the teg will also be short but only a couple of hp generally again this is prob down to the fuel.

rick c

Advanced Member
alucardo said:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301506

Good forum guide above.

There is no techincal difference in the engines as far as im aware when I was looking. Get a uk one itll save on insurance.
Good find!

yum1

I have just switched from my DC5 to an S2k in the past couple of weeks and have to say i much prefer the s2! You get the feeling your driving something a little more special and to be honest with the rwd its really hard to compare to a 5. Totally different drive altogether. Feels a little quicker in a straight line than my 5 and looks better too imo. When pushing the s2k and the back steps out a little exiting corners for me it gives much more satisfaction than the point and shoot the dc5 delivers.

I'd say go for it! plenty examples out there to choose from too!

hondafreek

Advanced Member
I am pretty lucky and own both a DC5 and an S2000. I enjoy driving both, but prefer the DC5. I find it more comfortable and my teg is lowered! The S feels like it revs much higher too.

The thing that really is crap with the S is that it has no space for anything. The boot is tiny. I wanted to take it to europe to drive to Paris (easy and cheap from jersey) but there is no way me and the mrs could get enough luggage in it.
I
f I had to chose, i'd keep the DC5.

rick c

Advanced Member
yum1 said:
I have just switched from my DC5 to an S2k in the past couple of weeks and have to say i much prefer the s2! You get the feeling your driving something a little more special and to be honest with the rwd its really hard to compare to a 5. Totally different drive altogether. Feels a little quicker in a straight line than my 5 and looks better too imo. When pushing the s2k and the back steps out a little exiting corners for me it gives much more satisfaction than the point and shoot the dc5 delivers.

I'd say go for it! plenty examples out there to choose from too!
Well that sounds encouraging, thanks! :)

Well the DC5 only has 18k miles on it (!) at the moment and part of the reason for selling is to release some funds to pay off a few things. Could buy just a higher mileage DC5 but I figure if I'm changing the car anyway I may as well go for something different. S2000 seems to be an obvious choice and there's plenty about for < £9k. I'm hoping the DC5 will fetch £11,500 - £12k so we'll see.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Only problem I have with s2k's is the lack of modifications there are for plug and play performance as the F series engine is already highly strung. Also ive never seen one on track driven well and have always ended up lapping them. Also travelling to track days as covered they have no space so forget about spare alloys...