Immobiliser chip

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
If I wanted to get a second key cut, but the car has a separate immobiliser system how would I go about doing this? The immobiliser chip is housed in plastic and is attached separately to the key ring.

Can they cut a key with a chip built in, and program it to the same coding, even though I have no information etc as to what the immobiliser is?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
as you have a prefacelift , get a CRV blank and any decent key cutter should be able to cut it,

your immobiliser wont be quite so simple, as you will need some details (like the certificate) about the make and model of the immobiliser and then contact the manufacturer for a second unit. all the chips used are different these days so you wont be able to get a generic unit fitted into the key sadly :(

my immobiliser bit was never used unless the alarm had a problem as it was an override type thing, do you have an alarm fob as well? its very possible you dont need it all the time, in which case just hide it in the wiring loom or under the dash somewhere just for emergencies

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I went to Timpsons and the guy checked the key and also scanned the separate immobiliser chip. He said that he can get that programmed into a chip key, so I said give it a go.

If it works, it saves having to mess around removing the immobiliser, or finding somewhere to stick the current chip.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Just had the key cut with the immobiliser chip built in, programmed to my current chip. It works fine apart from a very minor bit of resistance in the passenger door lock but that will be down to a fresh cut and the lock probably not being very worn.
Timpsons are deffinitely recommended for key cutting.

Mebz

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Just had the key cut with the immobiliser chip built in, programmed to my current chip. It works fine apart from a very minor bit of resistance in the passenger door lock but that will be down to a fresh cut and the lock probably not being very worn.
Timpsons are deffinitely recommended for key cutting.
Which Timpsons did you use? I went to my local Timpsons and they wouldn't even attempt cutting.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've got my spare CRV key now and a fob which has stopped working so I may pop over next week sometime