off to pod, whats the best way to set off

benny

Advanced Member
any body got any tips for the 1/4 mile at pod? setting off and all, there in a few weeks, dont have k-pro, dont have time to get k-pro, so i wont be having launch control, just be doing it the old fashioned way? clutch up and foot down? then :evil: driving!! :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
4000 rpm let clutch out quickly but Don't sidestep, keep practising until you get it right, due to different tyre types etc, its impossible to say.
-take everything practical out of the car spare wheel etc.
- lower the front tyre pressure by a couple of pounds (8-10) it will help.
-raie the rear tyre pressure by 10-15 psi to reduce drag.
-if you have coilovers make the front as soft as poss
- and the rears as hard as poss
-raise the rear spring height
-shift gears a split second before the rev limiter you need to use all the available rpm per gear
-Do not do a burnout it will overheat the tyres and make them greasy.
-let the clutch out as soon as you see the last amber light for a better reaction time. (this doesn't help much in rwyb but racing it really counts)

While at rotorstock i got to the 1/4 finals and was up against a quick supercharged ctr, his car was a good 3/4 seconds faster than mine but my reactions were almost 3/4 second faster than his. Had it not rained it would have been a close race. Even with the faster car he was nervous about racing me :wink:

Remember to keep your timeslips for bragging as only slips from pod and Shakespear are worth the paper their written on (they are the only 2 drag strips recognised by the MSA).
Cars always seem to be quicker at Crail and Elvington. :?

benny

Advanced Member
been reading all the post in track chat, all tips will help, is it true at pod you dont have to go when the light goes? just when ever and it times it from when you break the beam??

mikegsi

Staff member
yep, you dont have to go as it doesnt start your 1/4 mile timing till you break the beam, however this will affect your reaction time, plus when theres a car in the lane next to you you want to be first past the line!!!

sh33n

Advanced Member
Is there any gain in "power shifting"? Sounds far too fast and furious, but there is some theory to it I guess.

Never tried it, but I'm guessing the box is strong enough to take the odd "power shift" if it was worth it?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the box will take power shifting, however your engine will hit the rev limiter when doing so .(not that there's anything wrong doing that)

benny

Advanced Member
what it is, and how do you do it, i did try and get a quick shift box, but cant be arsed anymore?

sh33n

Advanced Member
Do you think it's worth doing when 1/4 miling then? Would it help times?

Guess the only way to find out is to give it a go! :)

Neil_H

Advanced Member
I'd never do that to my own car, is it really worth knackering your gearbox to save a few milliseconds?.... :)

benny

Advanced Member
yes it is haha, it wont do that much damage as long as you dont do it all day long, other wise you wouldnt have that feature with k-pro?