shg slider rack - install guide anyone?

nsxer

Advanced Member
has anyone got an install guide for this ?

i have read just snippets of instruction but has anyone done something a bit more comprehensive

done searches on the forum before asking this question ... no real results

hoping to get installed this week!!

thanks in advance

Fez

Advanced Member
I did mine few weeks ago and it was a nightmare lol.

The threads were so tight, even with the lock rings flattened, luckily i had a huge bar to crack them off. My mate had done one before and we were struggling.

adam.

Advanced Member
Step 1: Open bonnet.
Step 2: Realise just how much of an arse the job is.
Step 3: Close bonnet.
Step 4: Take it to Dream autos*.

*Location may vary.

Fez

Advanced Member
I wouldn't like to do it again. But i also hate paying people to do jobs i know i can do/should be able to do lol.

I genuinely think it would have been quicker for me to pull the engine out, do the slider and then refit engine 🙄

From what i can remember..
Remove strut brace
Remove lower brace
Straighten the lock rings
Then use a spanner to loosen the arms (this is where i had to use the bar) ( i think i had more room with the steering full lock right) mine were tight thread all the way off and had to use the spanner all the way
Once they are off unbolt the bracket, which the bolts were also really tight on mine.
Remove clip off the rack gaiter(passenger side)
Slide the gaiter over
Pull slider out.
Fit metal inserts to new slider
Refit slider

Then reverse all of the above, using thread lock on all the threads.

It is an easy-ish job, just really time consuming, and involves many swear words.

2ndy

Advanced Member
It is a complete nightmare to do with the rack in place but it can be done.. I was lucky that someone had fitted the rack riser to mine so the bolts werent too tight.. Il try and explain as best i can but im pretty rubbish at explaining stuff Ive put the number of the part from the diagram on it just to be sure what i mean. The way i done it was:

Remove steering arms from the centre bracket (13)

Remove the bolts (19) Think they 14mms, from the bracket. When these are removed the slider is now free to move side to side in its guide.

Snip the tie (5/12) that holds the rubber boot and turn the car to full lock to the left

If you stretch out the boot you will be able to get at the slider to pull it out. It needs pulled towards the front of the car to lift it out of the guide in the rack then pull it through the gap. I used long pliers to get at it.

Then when its out its just a reverse of what you did, its pretty fiddly/frustratin getting it fitted cause there is very little room. A bit of heat on the boot can help. But just push the new slider through the gap and into the guide. Cover it in grease and spray grease into the rack if you can.

Centre the steering when you have the guide sitting in the rack and then its a case of putting the steering arm brack on and moving it about until you get the bolts to line up

Hope this helps!

George657

Advanced Member
I did mine with the engine out. Was a doddle. But yea, I wouldn't like to do it with the engine in!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Remove the exhaust manifold!! I spent a good 2 to 3 hours struggling then eventually gave in and took the manifold off.

It made the job 1000% easier since it gave what felt like acres of extra space to work in.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Handed to my go to garage/ mechanic in bristol, pro garage if you're near by

But was a great mod, has taken away what people described as torque steer, bump steer, wheels wandering upon acceleration

Sonny1

Advanced Member
I also had one fitted by my mechanic when I was getting all the suspension bits and bobs fitted. Def a great mod as the steering feels far more precise now with it fitted.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Step 1: Open bonnet.
Step 2: Realise just how much of an arse the job is.
Step 3: Close bonnet.
Step 4: Take it to Dream autos*.

*Location may vary.
Ha, I didn't even open the bonnet, just got Performance Autoworks to do it.

Dan Page

Remove steering rack from the car And change it on the bench. I can do them start to finish in about 60-90 mins that's including cleaning out all the old grease and putting new in too :)

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Dan Page said:
Remove steering rack from the car And change it on the bench. I can do them start to finish in about 60-90 mins that's including cleaning out all the old grease and putting new in too :)

Think I'd be going down the rack route before I mess with the manifold, had them out a few times and they're pretty easy if you're a suitably skilled guy

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The manifold is easy enough to remove though. Does the rack leak any fluid when you disconnect it? I've never looked into the removal process for it.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The manifold is easy enough to remove though. Does the rack leak any fluid when you disconnect it? I've never looked into the removal process for it.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Last time I had to remove the mani off the hangers it was a pain plus having to crawl under the car whilst on axle stands plus having to replace the gasket. You do lose fluid and I thought it would make a mess but i would just find it easier.

Everyone to their own I suppose, I've got a standard one to fit and I'll be attempting to do it without removing either first