£324 your joking(Updated again)

CHRIS-R

Long story cut short.
EML light came on and no Vtec,took it to honda this morning and charged me £40 for fault code check PO500(Vehicle Speed Sensor) has no poise.

They then told me i had to re-book the car in for 2 days to find the fault at a cost of £324 :shock: and that's not even to fix the fault.

Any suggestions or help on the fault code and a cheaper alternative would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

logik

Advanced Member
Ouch, that sounds a little crazy with the money if you ask me. Generally most folks stay clear of Honda when it comes to getting things done.

I am sure someone here will have a good contact for you to get the work done.

Hope you get sorted soon.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
That's why I don't go to Honda dealers. Saying that, if they are decent then they won't charge you for checking the fault code as it's a 2 min job.

I'm sure someone from north of the border will point you to a decent place to look at it for you.

jostrom

Advanced Member
Does your speedo still work? If not, it's likely that the VSS-sensor is bad (or wiring of course). If it does, then you have an electric problem in the VSS wiring/ECU.

CHRIS-R

The speedo works fine.
I reset the ECU and was working fine for about ten minutes and then again EML came on and no VTEC :roll:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
remove airbox, its on the back of the gearbox, change the speed sensor, your problems will be sorted, you can check the output directly on the ecu with a meter.
I am at silverstone at the mo but someone will be able to find you a pin out drg of the ecu

jostrom

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
remove airbox, its on the back of the gearbox, change the speed sensor, your problems will be sorted, you can check the output directly on the ecu with a meter.
I am at silverstone at the mo but someone will be able to find you a pin out drg of the ecu
You think the sensor is done, but how do you then explain that the speedo works? Speedo and ECU use the same sensor/signal... Or can it be broken so that the ECU does not like the signal and speedo can still use it? You can measure that you're getting some signal, but as it's pulses you can't really see if it's ok with a multimeter.

The wire comes to the A-connector of the ECU to the pin 18 (middle row) and it is white/green (the signal is white/green all the way from the sensor). Sorry, I can't remember which way the DC5 ECU is mounted, but the A-connector is on the left when looking at the ECU from the connector side and the ECU cover facing up.

CHRIS-R

Thanks for the info guys.

I'll have a look again tonight :-k

I have got the car booked in at Dicksons of Perth for Tuesday as Niki was more than happy to try and resolve the problem.

Cheers

Chris

CTR_Chris

Advanced Member
It could be your speedo convertor causing this problem, these are quite often hard wired into the wires of the speed sensor.

I have a spare convertor, but I dont have a spare sensor anymore im afraid

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there is possibly an intermittent fault with the sensor or the wiring , the reasion your speedo can still work is due to the speed at which the fault happens , if it is a very quick break and make the ecu can sense the fault and put on the light before the speedo is affected.
The ecu wont automatically reset the fault while you are still travelling along.

you should also check the speedo converter.

CHRIS-R

Thanks again for the suggestion.

I'll check the speed converter wiring,etc.

I take it the speed converter should be situated somewhere next to the speed sensor plug?

Thanks

Chris

CTR_Chris

Advanced Member
You might also want to check the earth strap that goes from the battery to the gearbox, these are prone to rusting. This happend to mine and made my speedo jump irraticly.

CHRIS-R

Checked the cars connections this afternoon and everything seemed fine.

Reset the ECU and went for a long drive and everything seemed fine no engine light until i gave some Vtec and again only let me drive upto 5000 revs and engine light came on.

I cannot understand why the car lets me drive normal with no problems :? until i give it some welly.

It must be a wonky speedo converter :|

CHRIS-R

It was the VSS :wink:

Now i can get back to happy Vtec land :lol:

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers

Chris

CHRIS-R

I drove the car back from Perth to Aberdeen yesterday and car was working perfect.

Then drove to the work this morning and 10 minutes into my drive no Vtec but no engine light.

Reset the ECU before leaving work and Vtec worked but engine light came on this time.

Checked code when got home and again came up faulty VSS(PO500).

What is going on :roll:

I have notice that i can engage reverse at 70mph.(Faulty reverse solenoid perhaps)

What's going on :x

Chris