10K bulbs?

armjoker

Advanced Member
Hey guys, today I washed my car and got some water in the driver side headlight (cloudy) after that at evening my headlight died. I am thinking its the Bulb but not sure, have to check cos it may be the ballast to. I searched here and found that the bulb code is D2R. Can you confirm that any D2R will fit the DC5? Also what is max power I can put on the OEM is 4.6K? I am thinking to put 10K will the ballast handle it?

Also if you know some good place to buy bulbs from let me know.

Regards

David

rodney

Advanced Member
Anything other than OEM bulb brightness looks pish IMO. I had 6k on my DC2 and were too blue. 10k's going to look like a an expensive mobile disco light.

Can't say what OEM brightness is, sure it's been covered before..

armjoker

Advanced Member
rodney said:
Anything other than OEM bulb brightness looks pish IMO. I had 6k on my DC2 and were too blue. 10k's going to look like a an expensive mobile disco light.

Can't say what OEM brightness is, sure it's been covered before..
I liked mine I think they were the OEM ones not sure tho. I am thinking if I buy new then Ill get something good/cool...

dave kil

Advanced Member
I've got 6k in mine and it's a pure white light.
If you do find out that one of the ballasts is gone then I would recommend going for an after market HID kit (I think someone on the forums actually sells these) as the OEM ballast is about 200 euro from Honda new.
If it's the igniter cable those are about 200 euro also.

I believe the HID kit is in the region of 80 GBP if I'm not mistaken.

Finding out what's wrong is the hard part though but when it's over you will be able have your bumper off and headlights out in under 5 minutes with all the practise :p

Marpol

Advanced Member
I know that 8K look really blue so 10k would be getting onto purple! :eek:

Think OEM is around 4.3k, I have changed mine to 6k and there pure white :D

danny100

Advanced Member
Hi,dave sorry to hear that... what i would do:-
1.To get another D2R bulb(2nd hand will do) to try n' it ll tell you is it the bulb or the ballast is duff??

2.if its only the bulb...that'd be easy,BTW i would not advise u to buy the 10,000K with the OEM ballast which is 35W, i ve got a 8000k with OEM ballast i ve noticed it doesn't give a lot of light to the floor as the OEM 4300K or the 6000k does,but it looks great,
yes i belive it will take 10,000K and it'll look great but less light...

3.If your Ballast is gone, hey pesto, treat yourself a full kit with 50W ballast,with 10000K bulb (still D2R fitment) then your Teg'll look great also with plenty more light =D> because u r worth it..

Regards danny :)

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I had a headlight out awhile ago, turned out water was getting into it which filtered down into the ballast.
I removed the headlight and separated the ballast from the the underside of it.
After cleaning out the inside of the headlight, drying and sealing it I then tackled the ballast.

I could hear water moving around inside the ballast. I opened it up, cleaned it and the circuit board with electrical spray then sealed it back together with Tiger Seal.

It worked straight away and I've not had a problem since...and that's been 8 months now :)

armjoker

Advanced Member
I dont have problem taking the bamper off, I have done it lot of times. Ill start it as soon as I get home. I have one bulb at home so i will be able to test if its the ballast or the bulb. Then Ill se what I can do about it...

I also decided to go for the same Bulb as I have on the car atm cos I like them. Probably its OEM 4.3K ones

Thx guys for help. :xcheers:

mikegsi

Staff member
oem is 4.6k from memory, 6k ones look muchos better imo, they are white with a slight blue tinge on the edge of the beam, any more than that is too much blue

cpoh

Advanced Member
Its 90% your ballast I would imagine, had the same problem myself over christmas. I managed to drain the water out of the light but didnt have the clamps to properly remove, clean and reseal the unit.

@VT Doo fair play to unit for fixing the ballast! Did you find where the leak was coming from in the headlight?

armjoker

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
Its 90% your ballast I would imagine, had the same problem myself over christmas. I managed to drain the water out of the light but didnt have the clamps to properly remove, clean and reseal the unit.

@VT Doo fair play to unit for fixing the ballast! Did you find where the leak was coming from in the headlight?
Yeah just finished with car, the cloud in the headlight cause also water in ballast. Because the ballast is under the headlight, as soon as ther is some water in headlight it will go into ballast. It wasnt mush tho, I just feel water on connection of ballast. I removed it and headlight, dried with hairdryer both and now they are laying under the sun to make sure I dried all the water.

I didnt test anything yet to understand if its the bulb or not, thought it would be better to test with dry ballast.

Not sure where the water got in. Ill dry all and put it back and if there will be more water, then Ill have to remove it and open the headlight and close it with some silicone.

Anybody know the temperature I should use if I want to put it in oven?

David

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I don't know exactly where the water was getting in the headlight. I simply put Tiger Seal around the joint and made sure the back cap was screwed on tight.

Unfortunately my headlights are really cloudy, but have had so much water in it (think fish bowl :lol: ) that it can not be on the inside. I'm hoping the PlastX will make a difference

IMHO splitting the headlight is not necessary but it would leave a neater finish if done properly.

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
Generally speaking the brighter the h.i.d bulb the less distance the bulb covers on the road how ever the higher the number the brighter the bulb.

If you are gonna change from the oem 4300k bulb put a 6000k bulb in as they are much better in my opinion O:)

-Woody-

Advanced Member
The higher 'K' the more blue/purple the beam will be. 6K is perfect if you ask me.

With your light going out, easiest thing to do is check the ballast first, swap it with the opposite side. They are expensive to replace, cheaper ones on ebay(around £80 2nd hand). IMO your better off getting a aftermarket HID kit. They look prefect, more reliable and cheap. I now dont attempt to seal the light and leave it well aired and havnt had a problem in months.

armjoker

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
I don't know exactly where the water was getting in the headlight. I simply put Tiger Seal around the joint and made sure the back cap was screwed on tight.

Unfortunately my headlights are really cloudy, but have had so much water in it (think fish bowl :lol: ) that it can not be on the inside. I'm hoping the PlastX will make a difference

IMHO splitting the headlight is not necessary but it would leave a neater finish if done properly.
So its good idea to put some silicone around the headlight just in case, without splitting it? My bro bought aftermarket HID kit for his dc5 cos he had problem with his light. Again water inside and at the end its burned away. it was the ballast not the bulb. But his kit compared to mine is not good. He has H1 now not D2Rs also he had to make a hall to put H1's. I may take his one blast witch he doesnt use anymore.

cpoh

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:

Might try and get the light off and dry it overnight and try seal it up. Cheers for the advice!

Armjoker, there's a cheap ballast for sale in the for sale section that would be a great buy if yours cant be fixed by drying it out!

armjoker

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
VT-Doo said:

Might try and get the light off and dry it overnight and try seal it up. Cheers for the advice!

Armjoker, there's a cheap ballast for sale in the for sale section that would be a great buy if yours cant be fixed by drying it out!
I have an extra ballast atm m8 from my bros car. I just sealed the headlight with silicone. The old OEM silicone had some visible holes in it so i put silicon all over the head light connection line. tomorrow morning ill put the light back on the car and hopefully it will work, otherwise Ill have to take my bros dc5 a part to get the ballast from it, anyway he dont use it.

Ill give some update tomorrow.
:xcheers:

armjoker

Advanced Member
Ok, Good news First, I put the car together today and guess what? I worked :xyes: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

It was the water in ballast, after drying it and sealing the headlight with silicon, it worked as it should.

David

cpoh

Advanced Member
How did ye guys manage to take the ballast apart? Having trouble separating the unit at the moment.