15w-40 top up ??

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Hi guys, i've not had the Teg long, i checked the oil level today and its a bit low (about half way from bottom marker to the bottom of the dip stick.)

Ive got some Halfords 15w-40, could i top it up with this untill my next service in about 4k miles or should i just go buy some decent stuff?

Thanks for feedback, Ben

linzi94

Advanced Member
did you mean halfway between the minimum marker and the end of the dipstick? or is it half way between min and max level marker? as in half full?

if its the first one, panic, your missing about 2ltrs if the latter is the case, i would get some good stuff as the refill capacity is about 4.7ltr.

i use 0/40 mobil1

tedg

Advanced Member
cliowner said:
.......(about half way from bottom marker to the bottom of the dip stick.)
Hey Ben, you are short of nearly 2 ltrs of oil........ Get some branded synthetic 0-40 ASAP and put in 1.5ltr. Then check and add oil to bring the level to between the two holes.

Not sure about your teg, but mine has a sticker to remind me to 'check oil every week' in the petrol filler cover. They DO NOT joke about this :)

--Don't worry, there should be no damage as long as you top up before doing any more miles. Remember driving Tegs is much like making love to a beautiful woman - treat her gentle from cold :) -- And after driving hard make sure she cruises on idle to low revs to cool down properly

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Oh right, bit worrying. Yes its definitely half way between the end of the dip stick and the minimun marker! :shock:

Ive owned it about a month and it the 1st time ive checked it because the previous owner said he'd just had the oil changed..

So i want some decent 0w-40 then?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Check for any posts in this section by " oilman" his name is Simon and anything you need to know about oil for your Teg,contact him (pm) and he`ll be only too happy to help :wink:

tedg

Advanced Member
Yes, oilman has lots of advice, and you can buy some v. good oils from him and other sources on the internet. But make sure you get a top up before of some 0-40 or so before anymore miles.

Sh33n was very good a changing oil at reg intervals..... if i remember correctly he got some silkolene pro s for it.

Check the oil section for more info on oils....

tedg said:
Remember driving Tegs is much like making love to a beautiful woman -
Oh yeah... make sure she is lubed :xlol:

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Ive topped her up with 1.5L of halfords 5w/40 fully synth for now.

Il get some decent stuff when the time comes around.

Bit scary how low it got tho, in such a short time! :?

ally_mac

Advanced Member
Have you ever checked the oil since you got the car, its possible the previous didnt fill it right to the Max mark, so you mightnt have used as much as you think, if you know what I mean.

Try and get some decend oil in the car like Mobil or Silkolene pro as Im sure that Halfrauds stuff is probably cheap crap. You dont want to be putting cheap oil in your car as they can start to break up under high temperature etc, (oilman can give you a better explanation than me)

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
It 1st yes :oops: as he said he'd lituraly just had it changed. Ive owned it a month now, i will be ordering some silkoline pro next i think, i've had an email from oilman with his recommendations. :)