180 KM/H LIMITER

GHOSTITR

I am frustrated by not finding any other options than the chip to remove the 180 Km/H speed limiter.

I have searched for a replacement CLUSTER to indicate cars full potential (i.e 240 Km/h). All i was able to find is the JDM type(e-bay) same one as I have.

Anyone knows if there is a direct replacement cluster (i.e. Australian). I was told that if i swap clusters it also removes the 180 limiter - Correct?

See i hit 180 while in 4th and two more gears left. I need to use K20A's full potential. (Road running in Cyprus) 8) V-tec gets so much sweeter in 5th and 6th gear.

In the event that i take the option to chip; do i need some sort of speedo calibrator simiral to m/bikes or my speedo would simply read Km/H indications as MPH. Road signs in Cyprus are in KM/H :?

Anyone ever tried this ?

BTW I haven't been able to find anything by searching other than that SVA test requirement.

Thanks in advance
George

GHOSTITR

bump!!!

No Reply no indication no remarks. How do you all do this in te UK and are all your cars able to hit top speed after the SVA "chip" conversion.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Sorry for not replying Ghost but I don't know how its done. As far as I know - car goes off for SVA and is de-restricted as part of this..... :oops:

MindMorgue

The way I believe it works is the box-of-tricks that converts the speed from km/h to mp/h for display on the JDM speedo also has the effect of moving the limiter from 180 mp/h which is effectivly unlimited.
I don't know any more about it than that.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
I don't know how it's done either but I have seen both Speedo Converters and Piggy-back ECUs advertised as carrying out this function. Not very helpful cos I can't remember which models (as this is clearly a function I've skimmed over, mine already having been delimited). Sorry mate - if I come across one again I'll post immediately.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
This is usually done in the conversion process, as part of the chip.

The speed signal comes from the engine to the ECU and the Speedo. To remove the limiter, we 'clamp' the one feeding the ECU, which means once say 150KPH is reached, the ECU sees no change in the speed signal, so when you get to 180KPH and above, the car thinks it's doing 150KPH therefore the limiter does not kick in. :xvtec:

This will not affect your speedo reading, as that is fed off of the sensor, and will continue to read beyond the 'clamped' value. :D

Hope this is of some use.

GHOSTITR

Ok, First of all thanks to all of you for your comments to my post.

From what i am able to understand is that my best option here would be the "Speedo Converter E0021" without any other mods.

This will simply convert my 180Km/h speedo readings to 180mph therefore bypassing the 180 km/h restriction cause it is impossible to ever reach 180mph. Correct.

This generates one more question: How accurate will the speed reading be and what is the norm on % for error.

I know my bike has 7% error in speed reading from factory. Is this the same for this car.

JOM

Advanced Member
If you get the convertor as you mentioned it means that the markings on you speedo with show mph rather than kph.

In the UK is it standard practice to place a sticker to replace the kph with mph on the speedo.

Not sure how acurate it will then be.

Paul,

can you give an idication of acuracy base on your gps readings?

James

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Yes James, indeed I can - my speedo reads higher than actual road speeds (compared to gps readings) but well within that 7% parameter. This does waver slightly dependant upon your driving style at the moment but the most normal cross-references are: 31mph reading = 30mph actual, 100 mph reading = 96mph, 170mph reading = 163 mph actual (Don't ask :shock: :p )which by my reckoning is between 3 and 4%.

GHOSTITR

I certainly believe that is now time to put this thread after your replies to the subject.

I should be ordering the part from funky products soon since it seems to be the best option with the least hassle involved.

Thanks again and great information with regards to Paul's GPS readings. Kind of confused about the 170 mph indications thouhg :?

George.

TYPER

speed cut

GHOSTITR

Blitz makes a nice peice of kit that i bought that not only disables the speed cut but it also has a speedo attached as well as a GTECH that measures 1/4 mile times 0-60 etc.
It is quite small i have it mounted on top of the steering wheel and it does not block anything on the dashboard.

:eek: To the above answer,who will fit the kit for me if i get the speedo convertor,is it an DIY job or do u have to know wat u r doing

TYPER

I did not do it myself but I think it is quite easy to do so you could probably do it, If not any mechanic should be able to do it in an hour or two.

GHOSTITR

TYPER

I've decided to go with the Funky Products Speedo Converter. A friend will buy this from the UK and bring it to me in couple of weeks. I am not too fond of the idea on any external installations on the dash.

Mind you i am only 5.3" and i barely see on top of the steering wheel; keeping this in mind I will not be able to read the blitz unit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its crazy when you think about it.

TYPER

I've decided to go with the Funky Products Speedo Converter. A friend will buy this from the UK and bring it to me in couple of weeks. I am not too fond of the idea on any external installations on the dash.

GHOSTITR

Must have trouble averaging in the car with those low seats, the controller however is very small i just put it on top of the steering wheel does not block the dash at all only thing i do not like is when u are driving over the 180 u have to take your eyes off the road to see what the speed is.
Anyway good luck with speedo converter