1st track day

Raff_DC5

Just thought I'd say my experience.

Track: Oulton Park
Date: 22/10/2016

A mate told me he was going and I booked on last minute. Had a week to get the car ready. Got in touch with Area motorsport and ordered some PBD front discs and DS250 pads, as there was no one around West Yorkshire who stocked anything decent. For the rear I went OEM disc and Mintex pads. Also got some HEL braided brake lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Car got booked in and work done along with oil change and got it ready just in time.

Mods on my car:

RBS inlet
Tegiwa 70mm throttle body
Tegiwa Carbon induction kit
Tegiwa manifold
Decat
Fujitsubo RM01A exhaust.
Cusco Coilovers
Standard rims with Nankang NSR-2s

I was going to book it in to TDI for remap and but didn't have the time before the track. Car had been running fine with no issues so I thought I'd go anyway.

So me and my little brother drove down to Oulton park along with a mate in his 1990 BMW 328i which is track ready. Signed on and briefing done. I was now bricking it being my 1st time on track. Got myself a novice sticker so others knew lol. Drove down and had sound test which went well. Time to hit the track for a couple of sighting laps which really helped kill the nerves. After this I felt ready to hit the track and went out, started off slow and gradually started to speed up as I became more confident. By the afternoon I was really giving it some and boy did the car do well. Kept pushing it all day and it still wanted more. I was really impressed how the car handled and this made me feel more confident on the track.

We had one small incident where we cracked the passenger side rim. Don't know how this happened. Kept away from the kerbs all day. The only thing I could think caused it was the wheels had been powder coated and oven baked which does make them weaker. Correct me if I'm wrong tough. Luckily it was close to the end of the day and we had brought a spare set with us which gave us a couple more runs.

Overall loved the experience and the track. being a quick track and the brakes were brilliant, handled all the hard braking. For the tyres I cant fault them once warmed up they held the car well on around corners. My mate in his BMW couldn't catch me lol. I was getting more speed into the corners and better traction around the corners but out the corners he was getting the better of me. Need to learn how to heel and toe. But I was still quicker overall around the track.

For my next track day I will be more prepared.
Car will be mapped before hand
I'm going to try ADVANs AD08s.
Drop the rear OEM brakes and go with something with a bit more bite
Rear control arms and fast road set up.

Anyway thanks for reading.

I will post some pics later and a vid if I can get one.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Nice. Did you see a white DC2 going like that clappers? That will have been Danny.

I would try a different pad, DC2500 are quite harsh on discs. Did you notice any judder under braking?

I wouldn't change anything about the rear brakes to be honest. Get lines and fluid instead.

Cracked rim could be due to nuts being too tight, quite common on track days.

Raff_DC5

Yeah there was 3 DC2s. 1 98 spec and 2 96 specs.

Is Danny the one with the 98 spec Spoon brake set up? If that was him he defo was.

Yeah I'm going for PBS front pads next time. I already have HEL lines and RBF600 fluid.

When I checked the nuts they were not tight at all. I even changed the nuts to some black spline nuts which I got from Area motorsport. Oh well I can live with a cracked rim anyway.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Danny's is actually a UK spec but with a 98 spec JDM front end. Cut rear bumper, stripped, caged, plated diff, goes like stink.

PBS are nice but some have issues with the pads delaminating. There are others of course, all depends how aggressive you want to go and if you want to run a road pad and then a track pad.

I've got two spare rims if you want one? Can deliver one for £60, would need a refurb though.

Fez

Advanced Member
Glad you had a good day!

The crack is probably down to the powder coating, done badly. Quite common, thats why I stay away from it, as you wont know its a good job until its too late lol.

Raff_DC5

Yep seen him.

He had a novice sticker like me but he was going like stink which made me think is he really a novice. lol.

I will have a look at what is available. what's the best for braking without going for into big kits?

I have a full spare set but might need one. I will let you know. Thanks for the offer.

Raff_DC5

My little brother thought the rims may not be a good idea for track but didn't mention anything after it cracked. lol. nice of him.

No powder coating for me in the future anyway.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Ha, he isn't a novice, look him up on YouTube, dannydc2. He has a video of Oulton already so you may be in it.

Problem with pads is people want the performance but not the dust or noise. Sadly for the better track pads, you have to make a compromise. You can choose something like PBS, DS2500 or Pagid RS15 but the reality is that they are easy to work over their operating temperature so they brake down and leave deposits on the discs. People falsely assume this is a warped disk due to shudder so change the discs and the problem goes away.

If you want a proper track pad that won't do this then look at Carbotech XP10, CL RC6 or Pagid RS29. But they will be noisier and dusty.

One often overlooked and one of the most important areas is cooling, a bit of ducting to the back of the discs can do wonders.

Indi

Advanced Member
Oulton park is a great circuit I did my first Oulton park track day three weeks ago but now doing another track day there next week :).

Ferodo DS3000 is a great pad to consider too, only downside to them is the wear rate is relatively fast.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Oulton park is a great circuit I did my first Oulton park track day three weeks ago but now doing another track day there next week :).

Ferodo DS3000 is a great pad to consider too, only downside to them is the wear rate is relatively fast.
Fast? Kevin knackered a set in two sessions of the 'ring GP circuit last year, I remember him saying he wasn't happy about that.

Raff_DC5

Yeah he is the one with Spoon brake set up with a green windscreen sticker. My mistake he wasn't the one with the novice sticker. He was going like stick. I met him at York run way doing and we got talking about his crash at nurb and he not really a fan of drags but wanted to get his car up and running before tracks. I think he is now running a k20 swap. Good guy with a very quick car. I ill have a look at his vids.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yeah Dan's a good bloke, met him over in Germany on his visit before the crash, we did a 9 minute lap together in traffic which was fun.

Raff_DC5

Now that I have done 1 track day I cant wait for my next. Yeah I heard the DS3000 wear too quick. I guess I will have a play with a few different ones and also consider some ducting

Indi

Advanced Member
Fast? Kevin knackered a set in two sessions of the 'ring GP circuit last year, I remember him saying he wasn't happy about that.
But he also seems to highly rate DS3000's in terms of performance. Fast wear rate doesn't really bother me it's not as if they cost the world to buy really.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Very true. But then people like Jason (Nosman) run CL6 pads all year round at over 6 track days without changing them.

Indi

Advanced Member
That's true but CL pads need shaving down to fit our OEM calipers which is the only thing that puts me off buying them. Once I have a BBK sorted over winter I'll be opting for Pagid RS29 pads heard they are a great endurance pad.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
That's true but CL pads need shaving down to fit our OEM calipers which is the only thing that puts me off buying them. Once I have a BBK sorted over winter I'll be opting for Pagid RS29 pads heard they are a great endurance pad.
I've got the TGM F50 BBK and RS29 pads have just been put in.

I had thought about getting some road pads as well and swapping them out, but the car will hardly be used on the road so not sure if it's worth it.

Indi

Advanced Member
Nice!!

Probably isn't worth the hassle of changing pads over if it's hardly used on the road. I don't use mine on the road much and I plan on sticking to one pad for both occasions :).

martinj46

Advanced Member
I've just finished a set of RS29 pads in the oem brembo caliper, and will definitely be replacing them with another set over winter. They lasted for 10 trackdays and quite a few road miles. They work well from cold on the road, but the hotter they get, the better they are. Only downsides are they need shaved down as they are too thick to fit straight out of the box, the dust has ruined my white wheels and they did squeal a lot towards the end of their life span. The downsides don't outweigh the positives for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raff_DC5

Mine doesn't see much road miles. In the last 2 years I must have drove it 200 miles tops. So I might go for something more track focused.

I'm already thinking of booking my next track session.