2001 DC 5 Leak in Footwell

TrickyDickyNZ

Hi All,
Just bought my son a 2001 DC5 and noticed that there is a leak, with water gathering in the footwell. Couldn't have spotted it as the previous owner kept it in the garage.... Hmmmmm....
Anyway, seem to have located the leak ingress point under the dashboard. After some nimble twisting and turning I managed to get a photo of what I think is the ingress point.
It is a right hand drive, hence the location. We have noticed a crack on the windshield / windscreen plastic, doubt that it would be that simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

danr19

Advanced Member
A potential cause could be the sealant in the roof gullies drying out and tiny hairline cracks forming. This allows water to ingress via the gulley where the gulley meets the windscreen - it will then run down the A-pillar to the dash and down to the footwell. A way to check this is to pop the internal light grey coloured plastic covers off (that follow the windscreen from the dash up to the roof along the A-pillar and see if there is signs of water running down). You may also notice some staining on the roof lining if this is the issue. You can also remove the black plastic roof gulley mouldings very easily and check for any cracks - they'll be very fine and almost look like nothing (I'd check front and rear on all corners). I've seen it on a few DC5s. It's not a huge issue and a fairly simple fix - a localised reseal and repaint in the gulley externally. As you've done - lift the carpet and check the water hasn't caused any issues in the footwell / along the sill seams.

The plastic trim that is cracked you mentioned is just a cover trim I believe so it's unlikely to be anything to do with that. The seal on the windscreen will be stopping any water getting in.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member

I made a guide a while back as I had endless problems with water leaks. It looks like yours may be coming from behind the wheel arch where the pillars meet.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk