2005 Facelift with Skunk2 Megapower R 70mm & Skunk2 Alpha Manifold

MorttisMachine

Hi, after years of waiting I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a 2005 DC5 facelift from Torque GT. I've been doing some research on this forum and using the search function but still have a few questions you can hopefully help me with.

Will this exhaust and manifold fit a standard 2005 DC5 without having to make modifications? Tegiwa imports have stated it should fit without modification but I wanted to double check here.

From what I'v found on the forum I'm aware that this exhaust system is pretty loud, I only drive 4 miles per day in a 40mph area, does anyone know what the noise volume is like when you don't have your foot planted to the floor so to speak?

These are the products I'm considering

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/exhaust/skunk2-megapower-r-exhaust-70mm-02-06-honda-integra-type-r-dc5.html

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/exhaust/skunk2-alpha-exhaust-manifold-header-02-06-honda-integra-dc5-02-05-civic-type-r-ep3.html

Thanks
Chris

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I wouldn't advise using the Skunk 2 system, it's very, very loud. I've also heard the quality is quite poor, it doesn't fit very well and bangs against the chassis.

Are you looking for a loud exhaust or do you want something subtle? I would highly recommend a Kakimoto Regu or a Fujitsubo RM-01A. Fantastic exhausts and the quality is top notch.

Manifold should fit, but from info on the forum the Tegiwa or DC Sports manifolds are very good. To be honest I wouldn't change the manifold unless you were able to get the ECU re-mapped. The OEM manifold is very good and Honda extracted as much power as they could from it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MorttisMachine

Thanks Sam, exhaust wise I did want something fairly loud which is why I initially looked at the Skunk2 R 70mm, although I am totally open to suggestions.

nails

Advanced Member
I am getting this exact exhaust fitted on wednesday by tgm. Tom at tgm said the exhausts are good quality and they will be able to make sure it doesn't bang on the chassis etc.

I am going for this one as I want something loud which sounds a bit bonkers in vtec. I have heard the fujitsubo and for me it is far far too quiet, and sounds very boring, that's just my opinion.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I can't personally comment on the 'loud' exhausts as I've always had a subtle one fitted as I don't like attention that comes with them. Mine however is my daily drive and I have to get up at 5am, I'd like to stay on side with my neighbours.

Just remember if you do fit something loud if you want to go on track you'll most likely fail the noise test so something to think about.

These cars do have a wideband O2 sensor but changing the manifold and deleting the cat without a remap is asking for trouble as you'll be running quite lean.

My RM-01A makes a nice noise, no drone and sounds nice on the overrun. Can't really hear it over my Gruppe M when in VTEC. Kakimoto sounds like a jet fighter in VTEC though!

J's Racing and a Spoon N1 are other 'loud' systems to consider.

MorttisMachine

Thanks Sam, this will also be my daily driver but I don't leave until after 9am luckily. That's good advice on the re-map front. I think to start with may just go with a cat back system and a intake to start with if that won't require a re-map.

nails

Advanced Member
MorttisMachine said:
Thanks nails, are you just having the cat back version fitted with standard headers?
Yes I already have a gruppe m intake. I will only change the headers if I ever decide to remap.

Loud and anti social is the way forward haha

SamDC5

Advanced Member
ECU is at the limit with an intake and exhaust really. At WOT and in VTEC I'm sure the ECU uses an open loop system to fuel anyway so you won't see any power increase at the top end unless you're getting mapped.

If I were you I'd save the money from a manifold and invest in suspension mods or decent tyres/brakes. If you want noise I'd recommend an intake as the crossover will be enough to keep you happy. 😃

nails

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
ECU is at the limit with an intake and exhaust really. At WOT and in VTEC I'm sure the ECU uses an open loop system to fuel anyway so you won't see any power increase at the top end unless you're getting mapped.
If I were you I'd save the money from a manifold and invest suspension mods or decent tyres/brakes. If you want noise I'd recommend an intake as the crossover will be enough to keep you happy.
Personally I don't find my gruppe m that loud and certainly isn't enough to keep me happy. All down to personal taste I guess.

MorttisMachine

Nails I would be interested to hear what your's sounds like once you have it fitted on Wednesday.

Thanks Sam, all options to consider.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
nails said:
Personally I don't find my gruppe m that loud and certainly isn't enough to keep me happy. All down to personal taste I guess.
Have you cleaned the filter? Mine's really loud and the crossover is crystal clear.

nails

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Have you cleaned the filter? Mine's really loud and the crossover is crystal clear.
No, it's fine I just want louder haha

nails

Advanced Member
MorttisMachine said:
Nails I would be interested to hear what your's sounds like once you have it fitted on Wednesday.

Thanks Sam, all options to consider.
I will try and get a video of it up once fitted, although I find videos don't always do the sound of an exhaust justice. Where are you based?

MorttisMachine

nails said:
I will try and get a video of it up once fitted, although I find videos don't always do the sound of an exhaust justice. Where are you based?
I agree on the video front but better than nothing, I'm in Ashford, Kent

nails

Advanced Member
MortiisMachine said:
Not far at all, if you are over this way in the Integra give me a shout, would be great to hear that new exhaust
So TGM fitted the skunk 2 megapower r 70mm exhaust yesterday, and it sounds incredible. So glad I went for this over a spoon in the end. It burbles on over runs and is not raspy. In vtec it sounds bonkers. I am not sure a video will do it justice but I will try and put one up on my profile thread in the next few days. In regards to fitment, Tom had to bend a heatshield slightly and muck about with a couple of the hangers, it added a few minutes to the job, that's it. It does not bang or hit the chassis or anywhere else. I am so happy with this exhaust, the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a DC5 in person by a mile.

Obviously this is all my opinion, some people won't like it because it is loud and anti-social. :xhappy:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I agree on the video front but better than nothing, I'm in Ashford, Kent
Not far from me then mate, I am only in West Malling

So TGM fitted the exhaust yesterday, and it sounds incredible. So glad I went for this over a spoon in the end. It burbles on over runs and is not raspy. In vtec it sounds bonkers. I am not sure a video will do it justice but I will try and put one up on my profile thread in the next few days. In regards to fitment, Tom had to bend a heatshield slightly and muck about with a couple of the hangers, it added a few minutes to the job, that's it. It does not bang or hit the chassis or anywhere else. I am so happy with this exhaust, the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a DC5 in person by a mile.

Obviously this is all my opinion, some people won't like it because it is loud and anti-social. :xhappy:
Hi mate what system did you go for in the end?