2007 Civic Type R VS 2006 Integra R ?!?

Charlie1

I saw Best Motoring 2007, "CIVIC Type R returns". It pitted the FD2 Civic R, with the DC5 R (facelift ver), Honda NSX type S, Nissan 350Z and Honda S2000.

The Civic R beat all the cars except the NSX type S on Japan's Suzuka Circuit (i think it was a 4 lap race). The margin of victory between the NSX S and Civic R FD2 was almost even, the civic was right on the NSX's bumper across the finnish line.

Personally i think this is very amazing, the civic R doesn't seem like that much of an improvement over the integra so this kinda performance seems like a promotional stunt. The video was in japanses so i didn't understand anything the dirvers said before and after the runs!!

Civic FD2: Price Y 2,835,000 hp 225, length 4540mm, width 1770mm, height 1430mm, curb weight 1270KG, wheelbase 2700mm, wheels 18" , tires 225/40/18

Integra DC5: hp 220, curb weight 1180 KG , wheelbase 2570mm, wheels 17", tires 215/45/17

Suzuka Circuit best lap times and finnish position:

1st NSX type S : 1'07"66
2nd Civic R FD2: 1'07"93
3rd nissan 350Z: 1'07"87
4th Honda S2000: 1'09"20
5th Honda Integra DC5: 1'10"91

Other time comparison at Suzuka, 1 lap standing start

Civic R lap time: 2'35"20
NSX Type S Zero lap time: 2'35"44
Lancer Evo6 RS Lap time :2'36"50
RX-7 type RS Lap Time : 2'36"81
Skyline GT-R V-spec lap time :2'39"56

Results from 0-300m drag run
Civic FD2 : 12.061 secs
Integra DC5: 12.440 secs

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
I do love the best motoring races, but i do feel that some of the races are slightly fixed, its like they are trying to show how good the car of the moment is, i've seen plenty of DC5's kicking a lot of cars arses s2000, 350Z etc, but on races where th dc5 isnt the star most other cars beat it, but they dont beat the new car of the moment.

And making the FD2 "almost" as good as the NSX gives you an idea of what they are trying to say about their latest creation.

I am probably totally wrong, but its just my thoughts really :)

celox performance

Advanced Member
I reckon the Stig should drive both cars round the Topgear track and then compare the times to see which is the quicker.

I don't go by those videos and it depends on driver ability and not solely on the cars performance. On the 0-300m drag, nearly 0.5 seconds quicker for the FD2 compared to the DC5, is noticably quicker :?

keevster

Advanced Member
From looking at those videos the FD2 does seem to rev a lot quicker than the DC5.

But as said, those vids are down to individual drivers, i dont think the DC5 driver was the best guy to be driving the car, IMO.

Things move on anyway, so yes i would expect the FD2 to be quicker than the DC5 :?: but by how much, we will have to wait and see :?:

Paul :wink:

tron2k3

Advanced Member
When they move inside the car in the NSX the driver is totally backing off the throttle way before the corners, then when they accelarate out he seems to be on 1/2 throttle.

I'm not totally convinced it's as good as it's made out to be on track, maybe on the roads as it's a softer setup compared to the DC5.

Charlie1

sinbad said:
what tyres does the civic come with?
It come with good ole brigdestone rubber 225/40/18s. But there was one point where they changed the tires to sumitomo. The tire change shaved off significant time off the lap time.....

neilmac

Just had that dvd delivered the other day from the us. Pretty interesting. It was Tsukuba circuit not Suzuka. The fd2 is supposedly even more impressive around Suzuka which is no surprise given that honda own it. Think the nsx could have had it a couple of times just in terms of straight line grunt even though the fd2 had better corner exit speed. Not much difference in straight line grunt in 2nd gear. 3rd was a different story,nsx much quicker.

G4Z

Not much difference in straight line grunt in 2nd gear. 3rd was a different story,nsx much quicker.
The NSX was quicker above 80mph where the FD2 would be changing to 4th. Once 3rd stretched its legs in the NSX as said, it was gone :)

Suzuka suits the fwd layout more than Tsukuba. Only really 1 slow bend where the fwd strugles to put its power down. Around Tsukuba theres 3 really tight bends which suit the awd cars to get the power down quick. The cornering speed of the FD2 at 80mph is very impressive as seen around Suzuka. The FD2 is quicker around Suzuka than the lovely yellow/blue stripped out spoon dc2 too :shock:

Charlie1

But don't you guys think when you compare the HP, the weight and size of the FD2 that its performance should not exceed that of the DC5 by such a wide margin??!
The DC5 R is a lower, shorter car, weighs 300lbs less and only 5 HP shy of the FD2, what am i missing here??!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You are not missing anything, it is common knowlage that these vieos are a fix.

matt b

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
You are not missing anything, it is common knowlage that these vieos are a fix.
that doesnt suprise me, they take some crazy lines sometimes :?