2007's dream head unit is...

crxvtec

Advanced Member
To get the best out of this HU, you must use a 5G iPod connected via USB. The HU uses the USB 2.0 protocol to stream DATA from the iPod to be played back through its own internal DACs.

If you don't have a 5G, then you can use a regular iPod by purchasing the KCE-422 cable (same cable used on 2006 FULLSPEED HUs) - this will give you the same level of control as the former, without the sound quality as it will simply take the line out of the iPod and so you don't get the SQ of the Burr-Brown DACs that this HU has on board.

I believe they're working on getting the USB connection to work with the iPod nano as well. This will be by firmware update.

If you want to connect 2 iPods, you can, though only one will get the benefit of the USB connection. The other will have to use the KCE-422 cable (sold separately).

I can't find much about the KCE-300BT at all; what little info is out there is US related. We've only recently seen the launch of the KCE-200BT in Europe, which doesn't seem that sophisticated. The 300BT does seem better and appears to be designed with 2007 HUs in mind, however it's been designed in conjunction with Motorola so it will probably work with their products more readily than other vendors'. I wish they'd kept their partnership with Nokia as they did with the Mobile Hub.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep I saw that - except a) they have no stock, b) you can't go to their shop and collect and c) how'd you know they're not going to take your money and run? Beware of offers that look too good to be true. They often are.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
I would not pre-order - I would go to the caraudiosecurity.com store in Hayes, see one on the shelf and take one home with me.

Pre-ordering is risky in my opinion because you're committed to buy from that company as and when they get a stock allocation and at the price pre-agreed - that's not my style of buying.

gaz3434

Advanced Member
The screen on that is tiny and next to useless! Now if it was double DIN sized I would be excited! :D

I like the sound of the faster iPod control tho; my current Pioneer iPod adapter is slower than a dead tortoise! But I'm used to the Pioneer setup and really like it's ease of use & design so it would take a really amazing Alpine unit to tempt me away from them. I'm banking on the Pioneer iPod adapters getting better thru the generations.... :wink:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Gaz, go back into the ICE forum and see the thread I recently started - Pioneer have a new Double-DIN unit with fast iPod control built in - right up your street :D

gaz3434

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Gaz, go back into the ICE forum and see the thread I recently started - Pioneer have a new Double-DIN unit with fast iPod control built in - right up your street :D
Cheers for that Chirag, that Pioneer unit is the dogs danglies! Shame about the whopping £1500 price tag tho.

p3eps

Pre-ordered the Alpine iDA-X001 today - as it says shipping end of Feb.
£220 is what I sold myAlpine 9855R for on eBay, so that'll pay for it nicely. I've come to terms with it not having a CD player now!

Sold my parrot CK3300 handsfree kit and got £95 for that - so hopefully the Alpine BT adapter will be out soon and cheaper than £95!

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Don't believe the hype - I popped into caraudiosecurity.com yesterday and they said it'll be mid-march before they can fulfil orders. There's no scheduled availability on the KCE-300BT as yet.

Apparently this is done (by manufacturers) to clear backlogs of 2006 units - if the 07 units are shipped out straight away, they'll not be able to shift the old stock.

So somebody get a job at Alpine and *leave* the warehouse door open :)

p3eps

Currently I have a Cartozerria (or something to that effect) double DIN cd/tape player that displays in Japanese, and doesnt go above 92 FM! I've only have the car for 4 days and its bugging me already.

I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and get the stereo I want than buy something now just for the sake of getting rid of this Japanese pile of crap!

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Carrozeria=Pioneer.

You're right for waiting. Meanwhile a 5G iPod with a cheap non amplified speaker will keep you sane, or get a "learn Japanese" CD and pop that into the CD slot while you wait :)

p3eps

It has a Pioneer badge on it at the top.
I think I might try using an iPod tape adapter - if the lead will fit in behind the motorised face plate which hides the tape deck.
I like listening to Radio1 in the mornings, but its too high up the scale!!!