215 or 225

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Just wonderin what width tyres people have on their DC5's. Manual seems to say 215 and thats what I used to use (and what I got it on). Last time round had 225 on all 4 as they were considerably cheaper and chap said they would fit fine. Seems to handle fine.

Would 225 over 215 give anymore grip?

225 seems to offer bit of alloy protection as tyre wall overhangs alloy rim a bit.

Also it seems goodyear eagle F1's are a popular choice on here. Anyone know where around Preston/Wigan/St. Helens area would be the best/cheapest place to get them?

T666YPR

Also,My Tyres are good value too,though you'll need to use you're local fitter.
Handy if you have some mates who work at a tyre fitters 8)

Zero7

Advanced Member
I ordered a set from Mytyres, and had them fitted yesterday, (Goodyear F1's), wow, what a difference these tyres have made to the ride.

My car was previously running on 4yr old Japan rubber and I could feel every pot hole. It now feels like I have softer springs on the car and the ride has been smoothed out. The handling is yet to be tested but first impressions are good :D

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
andyd22 said:
whats size 225s was you after?

would be ok 225/40/17

Andy

Currently have Michelin pilot sport 2 225/45/17 on all 4.
Need to get new rear tyres soon. Will it matter having 225 on front and 215 on rear?

Suped

Advanced Member
got jap rubber on mine that will need changing shortly and was thinking going for 225s.

Physically, a differnce in terms of protection against the alloy as they are a tad bit wider, but in terms of cost and handling does it match up against the 215s?

Highlander

Sorry but I dont think that either of these are cheap! Checking prices of Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 225/45/ZR17 they are WAY more expensive than my local tyre fitter.

If you are in the Easy MIdlands check out Inner Ring Tyres in Derby

M-Tyres £145
Etyres 128

Inner Ring £112 !

And they know what they're doing, not an air hammer in the joint. Been using them for years.

Trikki Nikki

I would put 225 on the rear to give it more grip, and 215 on the front so you don't get as much tramline through the steering :wink:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
While out in Japan, I was given a couple of Honda Tuning Mags (just looked at the Pics :!: ).

Anyway, there was an article / test on tyre profiles on the DC5. Basically 215 verse 225......

Have a guess at the result of going round a circuit :?:

Well, the 215 profile was slightly quicker round the circuit by just over 0.6 secs. Just goes to show, that Honda selected the size of tyre correctly in the first place.

Just a bit of info

Mike