225s on 7.5?

Greedy Sheedy

Hi Guys,

Going to lower my car in a few weeks but need to sort out some new tyres as they are currently far too low profile for my liking (215/35 r18).

I was thinking of going for 225/45s but will 225s fit on 7.5s? I have had a look online and found a few places which say yes, a few places which say no. Also called up one garage and the guy said he had no idea (Decided I won't be going with them!). I have wondered whether 215/45s might be better but I wanted to get a chunkier look from the tyre and also have a bit of give from them when I lower it.

Whilst I am at it, any recommendations for tyres? Currently am considering Khumo Ecsta PS91s (£101 per tyre inc fitting) or Toyo Proxes T1 Sport (£98). Have to buy 4 of them and then get coilovers, rim refurb and a few other bits hence not wanting to blow my wad, so I'm going for low-mid rang tyres I think. Any suggestions or preferences?

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
You can fit 225/45 on 7" wheels so there will be no problem at all on 7.5"

Im not really up to scratch on tyres but I have been impressed with the AD08r's but Im not sure how much they are in 18's

badeshi

Advanced Member
Depends how low you want to go. I have 225s and they used to rub on hard corners or if I had a car full.
I have forgotten how wide my wheels are so can't comment on that fitment however I have the ecsta tyres and very happy with them for road driving in wet and dry

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

badeshi

Advanced Member
Just seen on 18s... 45 might be a bit big with any lowering I would guess.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Not exactly the same question form me but to save another post I am running OEM wheels and have recently got some new suspension to fit, B16 Bilstein Coilovers, does anyone know if I can run 225/45/17's with the B16's and not have any rubbing or need to role the arches? Or will I be better of sticking with 215/45/17's.

I basically only want to go wider for track days and grip but will 100% stay away from rolling the arches and so would prefer oem size tyres if the larger will be a problem.

Thanks

Carl

Greedy Sheedy

badeshi said:
Depends how low you want to go. I have 225s and they used to rub on hard corners or if I had a car full.
I have forgotten how wide my wheels are so can't comment on that fitment however I have the ecsta tyres and very happy with them for road driving in wet and dry

Yeah I am undecided on clearance at present to be honest, I am a bit of a novice but it needs lowering as it looks....unfinished and a bit cheap (check pictures on my newbie thread).I guess I could have minimal clearance if I had quite a stiff set up?

badeshi said:
Just seen on 18s... 45 might be a bit big with any lowering I would guess.

Yeah the 18s are a bit of a mixed bag for me. In ways I'd prefer the look of 17s but when I do lower it, having that extra inch of ground clearance is handy for speed bumps (my old EK3 was very low and I had to avoid all manner of road obstacles!). At the same time, like you said the 18s with a thicker profile tyre might cause issues. By a 'bit big' where exactly would they potentially rub and what measures can you take to stop that? Rolling arches? (Apologies for being such a noob!!).

DC5Curn said:
You can fit 225/45 on 7" wheels so there will be no problem at all on 7.5"

Im not really up to scratch on tyres but I have been impressed with the AD08r's but Im not sure how much they are in 18's
Yeah I like the look of them and the reviews are great but a little out of my preferred priced range atm.

badeshi

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Not exactly the same question form me but to save another post I am running OEM wheels and have recently got some new suspension to fit, B16 Bilstein Coilovers, does anyone know if I can run 225/45/17's with the B16's and not have any rubbing or need to role the arches? Or will I be better of sticking with 215/45/17's.

I basically only want to go wider for track days and grip but will 100% stay away from rolling the arches and so would prefer oem size tyres if the larger will be a problem.

Thanks

Carl
I have B14s on higher setting with 225s 17 and they are fine. My arches are rolled due to previous setup but don't think they are needed now. I will take a picture in a bit of you like?

badeshi

Advanced Member
Greedy Sheedy said:
Yeah I am undecided on clearance at present to be honest, I am a bit of a novice but it needs lowering as it looks....unfinished and a bit cheap (check pictures on my newbie thread).I guess I could have minimal clearance if I had quite a stiff set up?

Yeah the 18s are a bit of a mixed bag for me. In ways I'd prefer the look of 17s but when I do lower it, having that extra inch of ground clearance is handy for speed bumps (my old EK3 was very low and I had to avoid all manner of road obstacles!). At the same time, like you said the 18s with a thicker profile tyre might cause issues. By a 'bit big' where exactly would they potentially rub and what measures can you take to stop that? Rolling arches? (Apologies for being such a noob!!).

Yeah I like the look of them and the reviews are great but a little out of my preferred priced range atm.
My previous setup was very stiff with minimal clearance and it wasn't that enjoyable on the road. Always would cringe when the wheel scrapped. With 18s surely the gap is minimal?
You can always try tucking the tops in a little with camber?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have B14s on higher setting with 225s 17 and they are fine. My arches are rolled due to previous setup but don't think they are needed now. I will take a picture in a bit of you like?

That'd be great mate thanks as I want it to sit at the same height as my mugen and spoon setup if I can as that doesn't rub at all (but need to ensure this will be the case with bigger tyres also)

Thanks Carl

Rom

Advanced Member
Watch out for sidewall stiffness. I ran 225 on oem, Eagle F1s. And the area would wobble when you shut a door etc.

As the sidewall wasn't being held at its optimum angle, reducing stiffness.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Greedy Sheedy

So would you just recommend a 215/45 set up instead? Still haven't committed to this yet but need to sort it soon....mmm decisions decisions.

Greedy Sheedy

badeshi said:
My previous setup was very stiff with minimal clearance and it wasn't that enjoyable on the road. Always would cringe when the wheel scrapped. With 18s surely the gap is minimal?
You can always try tucking the tops in a little with camber?

I made some crude measurements (didn't check when wheel was turned in/out or anything) when planning and it is about 2.2 inches clear on both driver's side wheels, 2.75 inches clearance on passenger front and about 1.2 inches clear and passenger rear. So as you can see a bit lopsided on the passenger side but am assuming it should be about 2.2 clear all round. That way I'd lose an inch clearance from fitting 225/45s instead of 215/35s and then have about 25-30mm clearance for lowering.

I have to be honest I don't want it to rub though, so would be willing to get done whatever else is necessary to get the stance I want but ensure it doesn't rub (like roll the arches if needed). Basically I'd like a stance maybe similar to this >>>>

http://autotk.com/tuning/acura/rsx/2033/

Btw, very grateful for the input lads :)

2ndy

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:

Thanks

Carl
I have 225 on standard wheels, lowered with 5mm spacers and it‘s fine so you‘ll be fine mate

badeshi

Advanced Member
Hi sorry to take so long to find a pic, this is with 17 225s and b14 suspension.
At the moment no rubbing and handling is very good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vr1hxnAIMmxKW8G03

This was with previous setup, quite a bit lower and much stiffer suspension, also had to run more camber at the rear to tuck the top of tyre. On a 215 tyre I dont think this would be an issue.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M9YI6Q40hURdQeyL2

225s on 18s would prob be ok but have to go for thinner tyre 35 -40 I guess

Greedy Sheedy

Nice ^^^ Looks really good, can't wait to get mine lowered now.

I went with 215/45s in the end, actually makes the wheel look much bigger than before and really makes me realise how much I need 17s. They'll have to wait though as I am going to get it lowered a week Monday!

p1tse

Advanced Member
17‘s look the best. In the early days of ownership I was tempted by the civic fn2 18‘s but the oem style looks best and 17‘s are best for speed and handling

Good luck on the lowering though

What Tyres did you go for in the end, as makes a big difference in terms of the car feel too

Greedy Sheedy

Well considering I'm not planning on keeping 18s for ages I thought it was a waste to spend too much on tyres, so went with Uniroyal Rainsports. About £115 per tyre so considerably cheaper than Advans at £190 pt. Wasn't so sure when I got them on but since I have had it lowered I'm actually quite happy with them, so might keep the 18s on for a little longer.