235/40x17

firthy22

Advanced Member
Just wondered if anyone has tried 235/40x17 tyre on a Dc5 and have any photos of them fitted.

Just had some new 17x8 rims fitted with 225/45 tyres. Very happy with them but after seeing the stretched tryes I thought that 235 would be perfect width for an 8" rim.

On checking the diameter with a tyre converter 235/40 is actually closer to oem size than 225/45 so was considering this for my next tyre.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Silver devil ran 235/40/17 I think on his ssr alloys but had to have the arches rolled.

firthy22

Advanced Member
Cheers Olly, will be a while off yet but possibly my next project. 235/40 tyres and get arches rolled.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I'll check with him later as they may have been 235/45, I suppose there is only so much you can calculate until you take he plunge

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
depends on the wheel offset really.

just remember the profile (40) is a percentage of the width so
- 225x45 has a sidewall height of 101.25mm
-235x40 has a height of 94 mm
-215x45 has a height of 96.75mm

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Be interested to know how you get on. I've just had 225's fitted on my 8" rims and I was really impressed with how much more planted it felt on the 225 width. Would be tempted to try a 235 next time as my arches are already rolled but I know you can only go so wide before you end up actually losing grip. Something to do with the more you spread the cars weight the less downward pressure on each tyre surface so it's always a compromise between putting more tyre surface to the road but not so much that there isn't enough downward pressure. The Teg is a pretty light car as is which is probably why Honda went with just 215 which is reasonably slim in comparison to others I think? This probably would have all been calculated so I'm guessing it wouldn't be a good idea to stray to far away from the standard sizes.
Be interested to see what the fully lightened stripped out Tegs on this forum are using in the way of width?

One other thing, when I was running my 18s I had 40 profile and I couldn't believe what a difference going to a 17/45 tyre made for quieting down road noise a making the ride feel less crashy but maybe that wasn't helped by the stiff coilovers I was running at the time