2nd gear grinding/rubbing noise

clearout

Hello there,

I'm new to the Integra scene having bought a DC5 earlier in the week. The drive is completely different to my old car but there is something in 2nd gear which I'm sure cannot be blamed on my bad driving :)

When running from a cold start 2nd gear is much harder to select than the other gears and rather clunks into gear. This happens when shifting up or down but mainly up. The other (and for me more worrying) is at low speeds I get a really odd rubbing/grinding noise from the front, happens when I turn left or running straight. I'm not too technical with cars so don't know where to start - apart from asking you guys so any advice you have would be much appreciated. The car is standard.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I only get it regularly when there is a passenger in the car - and they weight like 2 stone :)

mikegsi

Staff member
did you not notice this when you test drove the car?

im pretty sure there is a similar fault/problem with some ctr's, which involved a trip to dealership under the warrenty, have a look on the ctr forum and do a search fro 2nd gear problems, im sure youll find the thread

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
Hi most K20's 6 spd have this prob. Get the G oil changed and dont worry about it, just take it easy or miss 2nd when cold.
Dunx

clearout

Thanks for the feedback. The grinding doesn't sound right but I am new to driving a DC5 so like dunx said it may just be a feature of them. I've checked the CTR forums and read about the 1/2 5/6 gear issue. If the problem gets any worse after the suggestions I have had today then I'll take it to be checked but hopefully it's just me getting used to the car.

TC

Suped

Advanced Member
get that and seems very normal. Just take it easy when the car is cold. One thing when booting it, try not to miss 3rd gear and shovel it into 1st acidentally.. almost lifted my clutch up doing that first couple of times..!!

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
Suped said:
get that and seems very normal. Just take it easy when the car is cold. One thing when booting it, try not to miss 3rd gear and shovel it into 1st acidentally.. almost lifted my clutch up doing that first couple of times..!!
If you lifted the rods would have packed there bags and left home at 15k ish rpm, thats about the only way to destroy one of these, oh and the oil surge thing.

Suped

Advanced Member
type-r-dunk said:
Suped said:
If you lifted the rods would have packed there bags and left home at 15k ish rpm, thats about the only way to destroy one of these, oh and the oil surge thing.
Sounds very scary!! :shock: abit of an expensive mis-hap too!

mikegsi

Staff member
very expensive, ive heard stories of people doing the very same thing!

sherv14

Advanced Member
I know exactly what you mean about the grinding noise, as I get it too. My mates S2K also gets it. No idea on the cause though, Im taking it into the dealers to get it checked out. I think someone on here said it could be worn teeth on the tranny, cant remember if it was the same symptoms though.

Personally I dont have a problem with 2nd gear.

jonnyr

Theres a lot of info on this on clubrsx.com.. Dont know if the RSX type S has a similar gear box to the DC5, but there seems to be an issue with grinding in 2nd gear on those cars.. Might be of some help to you.

gregb

Advanced Member
clearout said:
When running from a cold start 2nd gear is much harder to select than the other gears and rather clunks into gear. This happens when shifting up or down but mainly up.
mine is the same and worried me alot at the start.it does go in it just hesitates.
i`m changing the tranny oil hopefully next week with some redline and hope this sorts it.

T666YPR

This question is often asked.
We will have to put this in the FAQ's as this is very common and nearly all have a difficult engagement of 2nd gear when cold.

Keep in a garage overnight with a radiator,like me and the problem goes away. 8)

mikegsi

Staff member
mine is kept in a garage, no radiator though! and i dont have this problem, however when the car is first started from cold it revs very high at idle (around the 2k mark), its only done this since the injen went on, my dc2 used to do this too with the aem cai kit..
obviously the choke comepnsating for the lack of any hot air!

gregb

Advanced Member
the high idle from the choke from a cold start does seem make it feel tight aswell and it might just aid that sticky feel but once it`s warmed up it`s :xvtec: