3" exhaust sounds

Dc5Mike

just had mine fitted yesterday with 2 silencers and i can say sitting at 60 -70 -80 mph there is a tiny bit more drone then my 2.5" 2 silencer system with a smaller exit then standard and that barely droned.

I'm well pleased with it, quiet while cruising but as soon as you give it some damn it sounds mean :xvtec: :twisted:

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Mike that sounds perfect now please get some videos up! Who made it for you?

James-T

Advanced Member
My old EP3 had a 3" system on it... Wasn't too bad for droning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3w_iXipxI&list=UUmoMwrv812Cr01WwOs7Zjbg

tombakers

Mine is droany, am going to make a few changes, hopefully will help.

Work of art though, mandrel bends and tig welded

Sounds lovely on tec.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
tombakers said:
Mine is droany, am going to make a few changes, hopefully will help.

Work of art though, mandrel bends and tig welded

Sounds lovely on tec.

*snip*
Looks a nice system, am I right in saying you have 2 tiny silences in the b-pipe there?

You should be able to fit a bigger one where the OEM b-pipe silence fits, should help with the *boom* a bit.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Here is what my mid silencer is like

This is the tail pipe silencer

I also have the spoon 4:" with the small resonator in it.

I think a what some people call a drone others may not. And what some think is loud others think its too quiet. They are quite big silencers and when travelling along a motorway its droney, but when Idling its not much louder than my toda.

tombakers

Wingnuttzz said:
Looks a nice system, am I right in saying you have 2 tiny silences in the b-pipe there?

You should be able to fit a bigger one where the OEM b-pipe silence fits, should help with the *boom* a bit.
Yeah I did wonder about the size of the silencers, bit on the small side.

Was also considering a helmholtz resonator, they come standard on a s2000 and basically target a certain frequency of sound (the drone) and cancel it out by using the correct length pipe. It's a bit like blowing over a bottle afaik

See this link

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/510969-amuse-helmholtz-resonator-dimensions/page__st__25

There is an equation for working out the correct length pipe but first you need to know the frequency of the sound you are trying to cancel out. I have just ordered a db tester that has a frequency testing function also.

I had the car noise tested at the track the other day and it read 104db and there limit is 101.

Need to try and know 5-10db off that and some 3.5-4.5k drone. Decel is horrendous in this range.

Lewis.

Not a DC5 but a k20 all the same.

Heres my old kswap ek running a k tuned mani and a 3" Solid fabrications system with a toda tip. Was taking it easy as the car wasnt mapped at this point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXTaWEkl3U

estilo92

Sorry bringing up old thread.

I am new here. I have eg with k20a type R DC5 engine.

I have 2.5 in. I was wondering if upgrading to 3 in will add up some more HP.

I don't mind with the loud sound as long as it will add up some more HP.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Yes in short

Few people have done the upgrade and dyno checks to confirm hopefully they'll be along to chip in.

For me I went from the buddy club pro spec to a custom 3" and never looked back no figures to confirm before and after but drive definitely felt better (across the whole range)

Gordon

integraleo

Advanced Member
From a 2.38" system to a 3" system with proper mapping you will gain between 9-14hp depending on quality of both systems. Over and above a 2.5" system you're looking at 6-10hp increase. These are of course estimates based on my own experience with doing the same but it gives you a rough idea what to expect

2ndy

Advanced Member
What sort of money are people paying for 3 inch exhausts? I currently have a HKS Hi power and tegiwa exhast manifold. Would like to keep these two, would i see the gains just replacing the centre section with a 3 inch?

integraleo

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
What sort of money are people paying for 3 inch exhausts? I currently have a HKS Hi power and tegiwa exhast manifold. Would like to keep these two, would i see the gains just replacing the centre section with a 3 inch?
You probably would yes,the solid fabrication 3" exhaust system cost me £550 and using dc sports manifold which is 2.38-2.5" (can't remember) still gained me 10 hp when it replaced my trust exhaust system. On swapping out the 3" for a kakimoto regu06r I lost 12.5 hp. Main difference between the trust and kakimoto can be seen by looking up the tail pipe where the kakimoto is very restrictive and narrow loosing a couple more hp than the trust. You won't have a problem with the manifold not being 3". Personally what I would do is get solid fab to make the system with a connection at same point as your back box with a reducer pipe allowing you to choose and swap rear boxes to see which you prefer.
One thing I will say even when talking 10 hp differences I can honestly say performance gains are not really noticeable on the road. After fitting the kakimoto I reeeeaaallllyyyy couldn't tell any difference in performance

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
For me I had a local place do mines (search Evil exhausts on FB).

He's a good mate of mine and for the system you'd be looking at around £500 for it. He stopped doing them for a bit but could always check if anyone around the area was interested.

Mine is mated to a six sigma racing manifold and the decat pipe (3") has the required step down for this.

Reason I don't have before and after is well the car changed with more than the exhaust from first dyno so not a fair comparison lol.

Still need to get rolling vids of mine but spending more time getting myself healed than driving it which is a shame.

Gordon