3 inch exhaust system

sinbad

Advanced Member
What is your exhaust setup now including the manifold?
What other mods do you have.

Skunk2 exhaust are decent. Do you really need a 3inch system though? unless your forced induction a good 2.5" system is good for 300bhp.

The Tegiwa intake's good for as much power as you need.

sinbad

Advanced Member
The spoon exhaust is not a true 2.5" Exhaust (its a 2.38"), so with your mods i think it could be restricting it.

Although the manifolds good, the Buddyclub and Toda make slightly better gains and would make a difference on a highly tuned engine like yours.

Im sceptical about the readings of the intake, have they watched the intake pressure on an actual live datalog on the road. The readings are only so realistic on a dyno as the fan speed is always constant and )wind speed) never gets anywhere near the speed your achieving on the road. The fan on a dyno is probably good for anything upto 50-60mph but above this your car would actually be getting a good RAM effect in real life, something which a dyno datalogcould not replicate. Considering thats how the Tegiwa (GruppeM)intake is designed to work then it should be tested correctly. By all means they could still be right but im sceptical and it should still be tested in real world conditions before you go splashing more cash on a new intake that might not be needed.

You could always go ITB's

Maybe also consider swapping the RBC for the RRC intake manifold if your after the best gains. You'll get most of your money back for the RBS so it will only cost a small amount extra to get the RCC, much cheaper then changing any air filter(intake)

sinbad

Advanced Member
If you have Krpo then you can do live datalogs as you drive round. In fact the best type of tuning is done on the road as you can map part throttle and different loads etc using real conditions. But yes all the sensor readings (incl intake manifold pressure) can be watched live on the road.

And your right, tuning in itself is expensive, its just how far you want to take it and can afford.

Part of tuning is the fun you learn on the journey. :xgrin:

R-GREG

Also been thinking about trying a 3 inch exhaust, my only worry would be that it would be too noisy for track days.

AP-Performance

3" catback on the k20 engine's are worthwhile. The Skunk2 catbacks are very good and the 76mm would be ideal for your engine. Just be warned though they are really loud!

paul hughes

buddyclub developed a flat oval 3" system in 2008 for ATCS , it was really loud but worked (3bhp) on the 9800 screamer 2ltr NA engines, we in UK went back to 2.5 Buddyclub Pro Spec in 2009 because it passed Time Attack noise test and we still got 305bhp NA. Asia dont have noise regs...

nuf said...

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
I'll be looking to settle this in a couple of weeks at TDI-N, going to run a before and after on the dyno - moving from a 2.5" two muffler to a 3" two muffler system.

Luke - what you want is a 3" intake with a velocity stack!

sinbad

Advanced Member
Oh interesting, will have a look.

Haha towards the end of Oulton Park yesterday I took my bung out of my full Spoon system since it had quietened down. When I took it out some wadding and what looked like fine metal strips came out too.

Now it sounds like a tin can and is really buzzy and raspy doh :(
Baffles are on the way out but thats kind of normal.