3rd gear popping

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi,

When I'm driving along at a normal pace the gears seem ok. But if I put my foot down in 3rd gear and go to change to 4th gear it kind of pops out. Not on it's own but when I move the gear knob. Kind of a notch really. But only seems to be noticeable in 3rd to 4th.

Also getting into reverse, even when the car/gearbox is warm has become difficult. The gear lever tends to rock when reversing too. Clutch was changed about 40k miles ago. Perhaps it needs adjusting? I've been advised that the gear linkages might be worn as Honda use plastic ones. Only replacements I can find are the Hybrid racing ones. The K tuned ones don't fit/work apparently. The other thing is it could be a mount although I do have both front and rear esmm's.

Any ideas or am I being simple??! 😔

Mark_teg

Staff member
All sounds normal to me.
If you fail to select reverse, just back to neutral - foot off clutch - depress clutch again and it'll slip in easy.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
All sounds normal to me.
If you fail to select reverse, just back to neutral - foot off clutch - depress clutch again and it'll slip in easy.
I do that quite often but it's taking a few times to get it in now. No laughing. So does yours pop out of 3rd too? After all the work you have had done?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Mine does the same thing in 3rd, The only way I can describe it is a spring action when going 3rd - 4th.

Reverse is also temperamental, and it's all been like this from stock and when I put in the buddy club short shifter and fresh gearbox oil so I put it down to characteristics.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I know what you mean with the third gear, it almost gets snatched out your hand when driving at pace changing into 4th...took me by supprise too although it doesn't happen all the time. I don't have any issues with mine though, it must just be foot/ hand coordination at times that just gets it perfik for the "quickshift" haha

As for reverse, mine has to be stationary to engage, and like mark said, on occasion its just foot off and back on too.

Its the cold weather playing havoc with your mind and the cars gearbox.....you are secretly trying to find an excuse to fit your final drive earlier I'd say ;) haha

davidpingu

Advanced Member
It just added type R features. You get a racing driver 3rd to 4th shift to help keep those pesky ST's at bay and the time taken to find reverse is an inbuilt safety feature with the car telling you you should be spending more time looking where you're backing up ;)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Thanks guys. Will be taking the J's kit off this weekend to give it a good look over. Not something I have ever done. Need to crack it open to get the filter out.

Mark_teg

Staff member
3rd to 4th is straight back, so has no 'side spring' to it like 1st to 2nd & 5th to 6th, so it feels different ;)

Liam

Advanced Member
I get the popping effect you describe when shifting from second to third and sometimes third to fourth - only from cold though. It's not a crunch as it's when you're removing it from the old gear, but I guess it could easily be mistaken as slightly crunching a gear.

Clutch and gearbox oil are brand new, so I've just put it down to being a quirk/ clutch not being disengaged enough/ worn synchros/ a combination of all!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Mine does the same thing in 3rd, The only way I can describe it is a spring action when going 3rd - 4th.

Reverse is also temperamental, and it's all been like this from stock and when I put in the buddy club short shifter and fresh gearbox oil so I put it down to characteristics.
It happens on mine all the time on virtually every drive I go out I get this spring action.

Really annoying it is. Hoping when I get my clutch replaced next year that this will be eradicated but it doesn't sound like it will.

James-T

Advanced Member
I believe it's to do with how fast you let off the throttle/engine movement causing the shifter to be snatchy as the cables are moving slightly.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
It happens on mine all the time on virtually every drive I go out I get this spring action.

Really annoying it is. Hoping when I get my clutch replaced next year that this will be eradicated but it doesn't sound like it will.
It's never really bothered me too much, It just makes a quick change from 3rd to 4th even easier, In a way.

It's not casing any issues and always goes into gear smoothly, threw me when I first got the DC5 but now I'm used to It and know It's coming...

Will be interested to see If changing your clutch makes any difference to it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
It's never really bothered me too much, It just makes a quick change from 3rd to 4th even easier, In a way.

It's not casing any issues and always goes into gear smoothly, threw me when I first got the DC5 but now I'm used to It and know It's coming...

Will be interested to see If changing your clutch makes any difference to it.
I think it bothers me because when it happens it I'm not driving particularly quickly and then it will just happen and it catches me off guard.

You described it perfectly and that is that is 'springs' into 4th sort of on its own accord.

After reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like it's a common thing/problem so I'd be surprised if a new clutch will help.

kazmo

Advanced Member
sounds expensive! lucky you didnt waste all that money on a brand new belt...! :xhappy:

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm not alone on this and might have to put up with it. Never really noticed it much before though.

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
I always thought this was due to worn left and right engine mounts, as you lift the throttle off quickly, and in perfect timing with changing from 2nd to 3rd, the engine and gearbox bounce forward (or twist) as the torque being produced stops, this pulls the gear selection mechanisms on the gearbox forward along with the engine and box jumping forward, which in turn pulls the gearstick cables, which snatches the gear stick,

So I'll report back when I replace the drivers side engine mount, and put an insert in the gearbox mount, as I already have the front and back inserts in place.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Would be interesting to hear from anyone with the avid side mounts or similar.

I've thought about a gearbox insert for a while now but couldn't find anything conclusive on whether it really makes a noticeable difference?

When it's on cold start and I'm in a high gear just crawling, if I dip the clutch it kind of feels as though the whole transmission jolts slightly from the torque suddenly being taken away in an instant and I've sometimes wondered if the insert would reduce this movement I can feel

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
k20-outlaw said:
I always thought this was due to worn left and right engine mounts, as you lift the throttle off quickly, and in perfect timing with changing from 2nd to 3rd, the engine and gearbox bounce forward (or twist) as the torque being produced stops, this pulls the gear selection mechanisms on the gearbox forward along with the engine and box jumping forward, which in turn pulls the gearstick cables, which snatches the gear stick,

So I'll report back when I replace the drivers side engine mount, and put an insert in the gearbox mount, as I already have the front and back inserts in place.
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
This is what I am thinking. Will investigate over the weekend.
I'm wondering if it is the engine mounts then.

I remember Adam you posted a response to a thread I created regarding the scrunching noise when off throttle and both you and Dotty said it could be engine mounts which I've still yet to check. I remember you gave me some instructions on how to check if the engine mounts are worn, something about the engine rocking the other direction or along those lines so I will do a little test over the weekend.