4000rpm - metalic buzzing noise?

tomreis48

Hi guys,

In all gears @ just under 4000rpm i get an annoying matalic vibration/buzzing sound coming from inside the centre console area towards the floor. I've had the heat sheild securely fastened but its still there!! Its especially annoying on the motorway when the revs are consistanly around te same place!

Any ideas?

ausR

Advanced Member
tomreis48 said:
I've had the heat sheild securely fastened but its still there!!
all of the heat shields? theres a couple along the exhaust system, ive had a couple of em come loose.

bezza4

Advanced Member
I had something similar after I got my car serviced at TGM. Was exactly at 3.5k revs. It went away on its own after a couple of weeks. No idea what it was. (Sorry not much help).

kingston

Advanced Member
Ive got it too, happens between 4 - 4250k rpm, sounds like a creaking sound. Had TGM's 'finest' listen to it but its nothing terminal and is most likely something lose.

Seem to have another one at around 6k after a recent track day :?

tomreis48

Hmm

I'll have to check the other heat sheilds... thanks guys.. thinking about whats under the center console, it might be something around the manifold? what ya recon?

Wootty

Advanced Member
Used to be loads of threads on here about that. Its your heast shield around the mani at the bottom. The washers compress over time and come loose. Best to just take them off and be done with them. Drove me mad for the first 3 months till I sorted it :D

kingston

Advanced Member
Wootty said:
Used to be loads of threads on here about that. Its your heast shield around the mani at the bottom. The washers compress over time and come loose. Best to just take them off and be done with them. Drove me mad for the first 3 months till I sorted it :D
its not that on mine as we took it off and was still there :wink:

just got used to it and only comes every now and then

tomreis48

Mine is always there at the same revs! I guess im gonna have to get it on a ramp either way. All help is much appreciated guys, thanks

Stevieg

Advanced Member
I got this too a few months ago. Toms (TGM) has been out in it and they gave it a good going over but couldnt find anything wrong! TDi also has a little listen when i got the car k-rpoed and couldnt find anything...

I thought it would be the manifold heat shield as well but my manifold was changed to a Toda one and the noise is still there!

Mines about the same point in the rev range as yours and sounds like its coming from the centre / left side of the console....

I'm also interested if anyone else had this and sorted it - the cars drives absolutely fine but its bloody annoying especially when you have a passenger and they think your cars badly made :lol:

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Not sure this will help or not, but I had this a few times over the last few years. Figured it was one of the heathshields, or some thing that could vibrate, so basically just bent the shields a little (I'm no physics expert but that should alter the frequency that is needed to make it vibrate -hence eliminating it) - it does work.....

also changed the manifold with the compressable washers, as the washers are a part of it, and yes as already said they can get squashed as people overtighten them adn then allow the heatshield to vibrate.

HTH :wink:

ausR

Advanced Member
just another thought, do u have an aftermarket catback on it at all?

after i fitted a new catback i think it moved the header a tiny bit and one of the heatsheilds tapped on something,
it wasnt loose as such but still made a noise, bent it a little bit an it solved the problem.

neil_integra

Advanced Member
I have a noise as well i know what it is though. Its the accelerator pedal but i dont know how to fix it. Any ideas?

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
DITTO> I think it's my ETD though. Has 2 b loose so it can function properly.
Annoying as hell though.

:evil:

clio_phil

if you get under your car and look at the mani heat shield from underneath, youle should see what i think is the drive shaft shield, its directly in line with the manifold heatshield
mine is rattling quite badly at 4k rpm.

JCW

Advanced Member
I had a vibration sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car around the 3800/4000 rpm range. so i looked underneath and i could see the hanger on my back box looked like it could be making contacting with the hanger on the car, at first i just cut off a small piece of garden hose and shoved that on there, it worked for a while but then just wore right through it, so i just dremelled that unnecessary extra piece off and now it doesnt vibrate at all.

ausR

Advanced Member
JCW-u dont have an early toda catback do you?

i had one and it did the same thing, it drove me insane, bad design by toda, they revised it along with the weak as piss mid silencer.

JCW

Advanced Member
took a pic to explain better , the same thing has happened on two systems i had on the car - an amuse ti and a mugen twin loop. i don't think it's a fault with the exhausts it just that the exhaust hanger on my car had quite a lot extra material sticking out which under certain circumstances interferes with the hanger on the back box.