400bhp safe on std engine?

Chris-141

Advanced Member
Thinking about charging + nos, would the standard dc5 engine take that sort of power safely?

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
At 400 bhp you would be safer to put in a lower compression ep3 engine. Although it still could easily go bang.

Built engine FTW

Chris-141

Advanced Member
I just blew up my ep3 engine, had pretty much bought myself a dc5 and had a buyer for my ep3 but that all went out the window, so was planning on putting in a dc5 engine and box and charging it, considered nos but I think ill stick with the charger just

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
You can make 400hp on a charge / intercooled Rotrex kit, or a GT30 sized turbo.

The stock bottom end will be okay, but you might need some stiffer valve springs with over 12 pounds of boost.

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
pulpmelon_r said:
You can make 400hp on a charge / intercooled Rotrex kit, or a GT30 sized turbo.

The stock bottom end will be okay, but you might need some stiffer valve springs with over 12 pounds of boost.
I wouldn't risk it. You'd definitely be running the gauntlet there

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
jdmsteve said:
I wouldn't risk it. You'd definitely be running the gauntlet there
Ben @ TDI-N runs 18 pounds of boost, stock motor K-swapped EG

Tune it right and it all stays together oddly enough.

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
pulpmelon_r said:
Ben @ TDI-N runs 18 pounds of boost, stock motor K-swapped EG

Tune it right and it all stays together oddly enough.
I doubt that's a dc5 k20a engine. More like a lower compression a2 lump. I doubt a dc5 would run that much boost without any issues. I'm quite sure Paul from tdi advises a built engine from power above the 370/380 mark. At the end of the day I'm sure there's people out there that might have got away with higher pressures but I know from experience that it's a recipe for disaster

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
It depends what sort of power your looking for. My dc5 is supercharged on the k20a itr engine and it's fine but I'm only running 300hp at around 7psi.
This is one of the reasons i went with the Jackson instead of the Rotrex kit. It's designed to work with oem internals.

People have been running them for years with minimal horror stories. When I spoke to Richard at tts who supply the Rotrex charger. He said for my engine to keep to the sport kit as the boost pressures will be a little on the high side to guarantee reliability.

One thing that is for sure is the Rotrex charger will outperform the jrsc but IMO any more than 300whp is going to compromise the handling/drivability of the car. Although it depends on what your after. Drag racing is a different thing all together and not in my case what I was looking for.

I know Dave off here is running around the 400bhp mark and he's running a built engine. Hope this helps

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I don't have a boosted car but I can't see the point in paying all that extra money for a dc5 lump if you're going to FI the hell out of it. Most of the differences between the dc5 and ep3 lump are surely aimed at giving a little bit more na driveability. That will be lost on you once you start ramming stacks of air in to it I'd think???

Going for the lower compression makes sense to me. Save your money you'd have spent on the dc5 block and put it towards the work. Just my opinion though.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Even the dc5 box isn't necessary is it? I may be wrong but I don't think there's any difference in the strength of the boxes? Think I recall the only difference is 4th to 6th ratios are slightly shorter in the dc5? Again if you're boosted you may favour the longer ratios of the ep3 box? Think the ep3 ratios are also the same as fd2 or at least 6th is.

Again just thinking if it means more money don't bother. Dc5 engines and boxes are often quite overpriced compared with ep3.

Or was it the lsd you were mainly after? In which case that makes sense ;)

Think an lsd will drop into the ep3 box though won't it?

Chris-141

Advanced Member
Well my current box needs synchros and I was wanting the dc5 box for the lsd! Seemed a cheaper option than building my box with a lsd and new synchros? Or am I wrong?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you want to run big power then you will want an aftermarket LSD anyway

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Hmm in the short term perhaps but you'll probably end up having the new box out before long with the sort of power you're talking lol. Might be worth considering rebuilding the existing box. Not sure what parts are out there that you could use to help strengthen the box other than carbon coated synchros but they aren't cheap! Perhaps some of the boosted guys can advise on suggestions on gearbox components? I paid £250 for my oem lsd FYI. Or there's wavetrac etc :)

Chris-141

Advanced Member
Is that the sort of price for a standard lsd? As I was setting aside 700-1000 for a dc5 box so I may actually be cheaper to build a box then?

Cheers for all the help so far guys! Alot more than iv had anywhere else!