4WD conversion

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Guys,

Does anyone know if this is possible for a DC5, I am soon going to have a cammed setup which wont really require the 4wd however if i decide to get boost in the future I wouldnt really consider doing this still FWD.

The DC5 with 4wd and a Rotrex mixed into a cammed DC5 would be epic.

I have had a huge power FWD setup and I think its a waste of power unless perfect conditions are present.

Due to the DC5 light weight and say 420bhp that would be a supercar killer when 4wd is applied?

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
It's a really big ask, you'd have to do sooo many custom modifications and fabrications to make it work. What 4wd system would you use? would you take it from a donor car? what car?

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
It's a really big ask, you'd have to do sooo many custom modifications and fabrications to make it work. What 4wd system would you use? would you take it from a donor car? what car?
Thats the question I want a answer to, on other cars its not as complicated. I used to have a big power Fiat coupe, 4WD conversions were possible with the Lancia 4wd. The coupe actually can handle over 500bhp on FWD (just) due to the setup. On the DC5 I feel it will be near its limit at 270bhp due to weight over the front.

Dont get me wrong it will put power down in 3rd and above but whats the point?

Does Honda have a 4wd donor car?

Alex.J

Advanced Member
My question is, why would you want too?!

It's spot on exactly as it is, if you want fwd !

If you wanted 4wd, buy an evo etc..

It's not worth the money, hassle, problems etc as it will still not be as good as an evo anyway!

Just enjoy a well sorted dc5 as it was meant to be!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
DaveC car handles 400bhp pretty well.

4wd is just not worth it,

hondas with the red H are front wheel drive and NA for a reason in my opinion

MrRy

Advanced Member
I'd look at RWD conversions. The DC2 shell design had more in common with RWD chassis' than most other FWD cars so wonder if the DC5 is similar.

Overall I'd say - buy a different car though IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Have to agree with the above comments sorry. It would be like making an evo rear wheel drive and rear engined to handle like a porshe or a Ferrari 430 4wd. It would be sacrilege really as you're just taking the soul out of the car. It won't feel like a Honda any more and it won't drive like one.
4wd amongst purists is a driving pleasure killer. It makes the drive more boring. I know fwd is not for the purists either but the way the dc5 handles in this format is exceptional and sort of defies the laws of physics really.

If you think a Fiat can handle 500 bhp through the front wheels why wouldn't a Teg? They are a much better car! I don't believe either can handle that sort of power well really but I do think the type r is in a different league to a Fiat!

The trick to getting the best from driving enjoyment in a dc5 I'd say is to go for high power na and to get it as light as possible. It's expensive but cheaper than a 4wd conversion! Enjoy its nimble characteristics rather than adding hundreds of KGs.

Having said all that if you really are set on it you'd probably only have two options. The easier of the two would be the crv but the standard diffs would overheat very quickly as I don't think they are made for permanent 4wd above say 30mph so as said, some very expensive custom parts.
Second option is I have read that there was a very limited edition 4wd version of the dc5 over in Japan. It was nothing special and only low power but you'd probably struggle to source one and as above you'd still need to throw huge amounts of money at it for it to take the power.

Ask yourself, if an evo breaks every 5 minutes when it was made to be that way, will a custom one off system be any better!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen 600hp put down on an fn2 FWD no problem at all. The key is boost by gear and without it, yes it's a waste. Consider a turbo setup by tdi north or at least go out in one of their setups, insane!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Rom

Advanced Member
Any ive seen have had some form of donor to scavenge parts from.

What 4WD have Honda made ? CRV ? Wasnt there an old Shuttle or something ? Probably too old to be of much use.

Id love to see it, purely from an engineering stand point.

What about another K20 in the boot, driving the rear. Seen this done on a 205 with 2 Mi16 engines!

ITR BOY

Advanced Member
To be fair, would be a lot less work and stress just to get a big power Evo, to covert a front wheel drive car to a 4 wheel drive is more work that begs belief.
I had a mate who owns Dimma Uk covert a pug 206 many years ago, cosworth powered, He basically had to put a whole new floor plan in to accom the prop shaft, also strengthening and bracing, brake lines, set up geometrys etc, was a nightmare and the cost alone was enough to scare anyone not to mention the man hours!

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
A mate has recently sold a twin rs turbo engined mk1 fiesta (sevs Motorsport)
And I know the amount of fabrication work involved in that car was rediculous, as has been said it's just not worth the hassle.

Interestingly honda did make a prototype 4wd supercharged dc2