5w50 any problems?

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is running 5w50 oil?

It's just that I've always put in Pro S 5w40 but I seem to b topping up at te end of every week.

My car is supercharged so i know it gets very hot under the bonnet, so would I run into in problems if I did use 5w50 oil instead of 5w40?

Is 5w50 recommended for a charged engine?

Cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I would use castrol edge sport 10w60 ( it's for the BMW M series engines now) as I always have done in all our Hondas , it uses very little and works well daily or racing

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks guys. I will be ordering some 10w60 oil now. I cant seem to find any 5w60?

in the mean time can i mix in some semi-synthetic oil for a top up as im running very low just until the thicker oil comes?

cheers

dave c

400hp K20
Thanks guys. I will be ordering some 10w60 oil now. I cant seem to find any 5w60?

in the mean time can i mix in some semi-synthetic oil for a top up as im running very low just until the thicker oil comes?

cheers

Yep shouldn't be a problem but id advise taking it easy until you get the new oil in there just to be super safe ;)

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks all for the advice

Just ordered two 4l of Castrol Edge @ £28 each! Bargain!!

Hopefully with this oil I wouldn't need to top up as much compared to 5w40

JDC5

Charged DC5
I've been using 10w60 and its much better then the 5w40 Pro S, I notice that the oil is still a goldie colour after a few thousand miles whereas the Pro S stuff turned rather black. Also i havent topped up since and i know with the 5w40 i would have topped up a few times by now.

So i can see for my own eyes now that 10w60 is right for force induction indeed!

dave c

400hp K20
where has this come from? im not taking a dig, just asking

I'm not a scientist so this might not be 100% accurate but the theory goes like this.

Forced induction engines run hotter for a number of reasons (I'll assume you know this), so therefore you need a slightly thicker oil to achieve the same lubrication results that you would achieve on an N/A engine with thinner oil.

Saying that I used to run 10w60 on my car when it was N/A also

JDC5 - Yep noticeable difference in topup intervals with the 60 weight

Vindots

Advanced Member
would 10w60 be ok on stock, but for trackday purpose? (high revving) = more temp. or that's too heavy?