70mm throttle body, is it necessary?

Lewis93

Advanced Member
I've seen a few people now say that upgrading the throttle body isn't really worth doing and that you loose throttle response for the sake of small power gains.

I have a GruppeM, Skunk2 intake manifold, Tegiwa exhaust manifold and Fujitsubo cat-back for my car and I'm just awaiting for some of these parts to be fitted and then mapped, I did have all intention of buying a 70mm throttle body to accompany these mods but now I'm having second thoughts about if it's wise to actually buy one or not.

I know I feel a good power increase from what I already have and a map but would I be throwing away noticeable power by not adding the throttle body?

Russty

I wouldnt say you would be throwing away noticeable power but in my eyes every little helps especially with n/a .

To me it makes sence if you have a 70mm dia intake to then have a 70mm tb and a 70mm port matched rbc / rrc to suit .

tico_87

Advanced Member
Isn't the skunk2 intake manifold 70mm or bigger anyway? Might aswell get matching throttle body to make the most of it.

integraleo

Advanced Member
The hp gain really really isn't worth the cost or jumpy throttle at slow speeds. From changing my 3" exhaust to a kakimoto regu06r I lost 12.5 hp yes that's not a typo 12.5hp!!! This may have had a small drop due to changing injen intake to a teg m at the same time. Power dropped from 238.5 to 226 bhp at eurospec and that's with k100 and full map tweak to suit the new set up. And do you know what....I never really noticed losing all that power. When you're talking 3-5 hp for a 70mm tb it more comes down to what number will you be happy with? I would say it's only worth it if you're going big on the build with 2.2 stroker or 2.4 bottom end and cams,otherwise I wouldn't bother.

FireDance

Advanced Member
I don't have a 70mm on mine. I didn't want the risk of jumpy starts as I do so many miles in mine.

Mine made a healthy 236 last time she was mapped so I didn't see the point inspend £200+ to get a 70mm TB when I know mine is good enough for what I want.

It all depends on what you want.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive not gone for one. For the same reason i didnt go for an RRC over an RBC. The gains are so minimal, unless your going for an all out, as much hp as possible.

If you got the spare cash, and nothing youd rather have, go for it. But i dont think you will notice much improvement.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ahh, but FI is a different beast :)
You cant / dont use the same parts as NA can.

integraleo

Advanced Member
And had standard tb with rbc,dc sports manifold, 3" custom exhaust/ kakimoto regu06r,injen/teg m induction. Done NA too

integraleo

Advanced Member
ep3itrdc5 said:
oooooo.... standard tb on a sc lol
Yes,with charge cooler and restrictive 2.38 exhaust too lol. Still made 308bhp,more later in the year with smaller pulley.

mikegsi

Staff member
Got my hands on a RRC intake to put on my EP3, toying whether it's worth spending the extra on a TB as well. Was just going to go with RBC but a local lad was selling a new RRC cheaper than tegiwa.

Booked in with TDi North in 2 weeks to tune it up - dc5 4-2, spoon 2-1, HKS hi power cat back, Gruppe'M intake

Bought as a weekend/track toy as have company car now.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
Got my hands on a RRC intake to put on my EP3, toying whether it's worth spending the extra on a TB as well. Was just going to go with RBC but a local lad was selling a new RRC cheaper than tegiwa.

Booked in with TDi North in 2 weeks to tune it up - dc5 4-2, spoon 2-1, HKS hi power cat back, Gruppe'M intake

Bought as a weekend/track toy as have company car now.
Please post your thoughts and figures after this? Too many different opinions....