A bit of dress up I made! - Battery cover

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Made myself a quick battery cover :)
Sorry about the rubbish phone pictures, will have to get a few better ones at the weekend...

Smartens it up quite well I think, opinions?

Josh16v

Advanced Member
A piece of carbon sheet, some foam numberplate tape, a rubber grommet, a dremmel, and some patience!

Oh and 2 little bricks polystyrene to put inside the box to stop the battery sliding around etc

Josh16v

Advanced Member
:lol: it's not 100% perfect but is pretty close. Cost about £15 for the carbon, the rest I 'borrowed' from work ;)
Cover the postage and I'll draw around it on a piece of card and send it to you if you'd like?

Remember carbon DOES conduct though (when it's bare / not lacquered), so the rubber grommet around the + terminal is pretty important even though it seats on the plastic part of the battery.

Do you have a new-ish oem battery?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Conductive sounds risky, but done correctly then suppose its ok. Where did you get your carbon from? Why did you decide not to lacquer it?

Josh16v

Advanced Member
The carbon was from this ebay seller http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ledon_racing_services/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
I bought a generic sized piece and cut it down using a ruler and about 5 stanley blades!

It is already lacquered, but when you drill / grind out the wholes, the edge of it is left bare. I'm going to stick a clear circle (like the stonechip guards you see on some car door edges) around the diameter of the + terminal by about an inch tomorrow too, just incase the + lead was to scratch into the carbon or anything.

I think 'off the shelf' stainless ones are more risky to be fair, the foam they layer the underside with can easily get wet / perish.

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
hi mate nice work you done there! would you consider doing one more and post to Cyprus? dont think it will cost too much to ship as its only sheet sized! im willing to cover everything and labour if you want too :)

also where can i get that battery stay or battery tie down as some call it? been trying to find one but all seem to come from USA

thanx

Demetris

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Finaly got round to finishing this off today. Made a little plastic ring to help prevent from scratching / short circuits, and secured everything back in place

Done :)