A few donks.... which bush?!

cfoster

Advanced Member
As above over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a few 'donks' here and there especially when first driving the car. Feels like a bush or top mount maybe but not sure where to start. I havent jacked up yet due to weather and time but was wondering it there is a mechanical diagram of the front end showing bush locations etc... Also where to start first? It does have Eibach springs and camber bolts, arms etc. I appreciate its never going to be super quiet and smooth but its my third DC5 and the other 2 were never this noisy! I was aiming to give the car a service soon so may think about replacing bushes at the same time...

Cheers
Chris

Zani

Advanced Member
Could possibly be anti-roll bar drop links... i'm doing mine this weekend

G Man

Advanced Member
I'd check drop links first too. If it's them buy the Blueprint parts as they are much cheaper than Honda and very good quality. I posted the part numbers on here somewhere.

cfoster

Advanced Member
Ok cool thanks i'll put them top of the list to check. Would I still get play in them if the car is jacked up or would it have to be up on a ramp?

Cheers

Zani

Advanced Member
I don't think you will actually be able to tell just by looking at them, they are not expensive and usually the cause of knocking noises from the front, so id change them regardless :)

cfoster

Advanced Member
Ok cool thanks, just seen that they arent cheap! Are they easy to change?!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ha ha "Donk" that's brilliant! I haven't heard that word in years!

This immediately came to mind: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag :D

On a more serious note can you isolate it only to when it's cold/cornering etc?

Other things that sprung to mind were unseated springs or bottom ball joints if not what have already been mentioned. Good luck!

DC5iveIRL

i had to come to terms that dc5's are not as smooth and quite as id like my friend has a standard one all bushes links etc new and on rough surfaces sharp bumps you still here slight noises there a really firm car even on standard suspension :(..

Dan34

Advanced Member
I've found mine to be a lot less noisy over bumps since installing coilovers.

The standard springs should have rubber/plastic covers over parts of the spring to stop them being as noisy, could be worth checking them. :)

brucey87

Advanced Member
you could just try rocking the car back and forth to try locating the knock that way. i found out where my knocking was comming from that way, thought my rear offside coilover was knocking or donking lol, but turned out to be a exhuast hanger broke and exhaust was knocking against anti roll bar! lol

cfoster

Advanced Member
thanks for all the suggestions chaps, the time that the 'donks' are at its worse is generally when its colder going down a normal road at say 20/30mph. Road is that lighter concrete so slightly bumpy. Cornering makes no odds, it doesnt make a noise if I press the throttle suddently, I get a 'donk' sometimes when I change gear, not from gearbox but perhaps an engine mount? I also dont get the donk if I pull up on my drive (angled drop curb) so dont think its steering related (on this curb the lower ball joints on my mercedes knock slightly).

Will check the spring seats at teh weekend and perhaps change the droplinks to get them out of the equation.....

G Man

Advanced Member
I checked my drop links by using a pry bar. Lay down on the ground next to the car and place the pry bar somewhere which will allow leverage against the ARB or lower arm, if you hear the same 'donk' noise this would point to drop links.

Drop links are easy to change, just give the allen key hole a good clean out so the correct size allen key fits in order to lock the bolt from turning. Other options are to angle grind them off - make sure you have the correct replacement parts before doing so, or you could try a buzz gun. In any case give them a good soaking with WD40 or equivalent before hand.

This is the thread where I posted the Blueprint numbers - http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29791-front-drop-links-by-blueprint/?hl=blueprint

cfoster

Advanced Member
Brilliant thanks for that mate i'll try that Saturday and see how I get on!

Chris :)

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Just a quick point too. It is hard to find any slop in ARB links or bushes when the car is jacked up on one side only. The ARB is put under maximum tortion and hides lots of play.

cfoster

Advanced Member
Thanks for the link, as you say for that money silly not to, another job on the list for when i'm back from travelling!

Zani

Advanced Member
No problem mate, I did mine last weekend. And all my knocking noises have gone. If you still have problems Id suggest looking at top mounts next.

The longest part of the job is taking the wheels off. Overall it's not a hard job. A tip would be to use the double spanner technique for extra leverage on the old bolts as they may be tough to get off