a little help and advice please...

steveD

48 hours into the DC5 ownership experience and I have a couple of observations/questions...

Can anybody explain or comment on the 'sizzle' felt through the throttle pedal at around 5K rpm. I drove a 2001 25,000 mile Teg and thought it was probably unique to that particular car but now I find my 450 miler has the same characteristic. It is slightly annoying but I'll probably get used to it, as you guys have already done and will wonder what I'm on about. Strange 'cos Civics don't do it...

Also advise on optimum tyre pressures for road and track (in psi please).

...and how do you set the ventilation to demist the screen without having to have the (power sapping) aircon on all the time. Funnily my old DC2 suffered the same problem. Even in normal driving conditions the screen needs constant clearing. Maybe I'm a heavy breather!!!

thanks, Steve

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hello mate and welcome to the board

Ok Q1) I know what you mean about the "Sizzle", but i have no idea why the DC5 does it.. makes my feet feel funny when I am wear my racing shoes :D

Q2) Tyre pressures depend on the drivers style mate.. I think you will find most people on here are running different pressures..

I personally run 33 at the rear and 34 at the front..

but on track (I am using semi slicks) so I start with it at around 30 all round and check the pressure after the 1st session.. 34 all round is what I aim to have it at ..

Q3) I just use the normal "air" to demist.. but i reckon you MUST breath heavy as mine never really gets streamed up..

UW

Erm

Advanced Member
you must be a heavy breather mate....... mines only ever steamed up once in 10 months of ownership :lol:

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Do you make a lot of late night phonecalls to lonely women :lol: ? Mine only used to steam up with the aircon ON (only to clear in five or ten seconds), never had a problem with misting otherwise.

Optimium tyre pressures (as per factory recommendations) 2.6 bar front, 2.4 bar Rear (33 and 30psi iirc)

The 5000rpm sizzle is your adrenalin as you prepare to hit v-tec :p . Seriously, it is a common phenomenon that I always put down to the electronics and mechanicals reaching that transitional stage of low-high cam.

steveD

thanks guys.....

re: steaming up... thinking about it, my car has been laid up for a while (6 months in Japan plus time in transit etc.,) and it may just be due to condensation in the system.

... looks like I'd better drive in Timberlands to reduce the throttle pedal buzzing!!

Seems odd putting more wind in the fronts than the rears but I'll try it anyway.

regards, Steve

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
The front is where the weight is and where the greatest forces are exerted during braking/cornering hence more supporting air is required!

T666YPR

If it's been raining and you get into the car even slightly damp you will mist up the screen with condensation.

Only other time is when the dew starts forming late at night /early morning and you then drive the car.(some of the moisture always rises up into the car from the ground)

Otherwise the screen doesn't steam up.

Or get your misses to wear shammy leathers on her shoes when you're doing the "love thang!!" :wink:

rayray

I found that if i had used the air con to demist the windows previously u always had to use the power sapping aircon after to demist the windows, as non conditioned air would not demist and often spread the mist which made the situation worse.
The only thing I found that solved the problem of not using the air con, is to turn the temp up to 30 without aircon on and then have it on full fan wait until the mist is clear, even though the mist seems to spred at first. After i had done that i didnt need to use the aircon ever again to demist the windows just a little hot air. this also reduced the number of times the window would mist up.

jonster

Advanced Member
I agree with rayray on this. Using hot-air does take longer than a quick 10 second air-con demist though.

Since my engine have been KPro mapped I don't notice the air-con load drop the power at all which is great. I absolutly refused to use air-con before until the missus started to threaten to leave me on hot days unless I turned it on.

I've got no idea what this sizzle thing you guys are talking about. I've never noticed it.

Jon

T666YPR

jonster said:
I've got no idea what this sizzle thing you guys are talking about. I've never noticed it.

Jon
The vibration through the pedal - I get it too.

It's not like a Honda trait though as this normally points to an engine that's a little less smooth. :?:

steveD

thanks for your comments...

The vibration doesn't matter when you're spanking it through the gears because you drive straight through the 'zone'. I suppose as I am hovering around the 5K mark more as the engine is brand new and I don't want to abuse it (yet!).

I hope I just get used to it. Maybe the cars with remapped ecu's don't suffer. To that end is it possible to have the Tegs system rewritten (ie Hondata?) with the emphasis on driveability not absolute power. I've noticed fuel surge or cut-off at low speeds which is probably due to emission requirements which could be improved as could the electronics ability to conpensate for extra loads like switching on of the aircon.

Steve

Erm

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
Otherwise the screen doesn't steam up.

Or get your misses to wear shammy leathers on her shoes when you're doing the "love thang!!" :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: