A-Plan & Sky discrimination

linzi94

Advanced Member
last year i had to let my insurance company (A-Plan) know that my occupation had changed to "unemployed". the chap said they may not be able to continue my insurance (all paid for in one go at the start of the year)

he phoned me back and said that was fine, although they "didnt like insuring the unemployed" and he hoped i had a job by my renewal.

that was a while ago.

now, i still dont have a job, but i have enough money to pay for another year all in one go again, so what difference does it make?

anyone else had this?

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
Re: Insurance and Occupation

Never heard of it over here in Ireland anyway!

They ask what your job is alright but at the end of the day its nothing to do with them whether your employed or not

Your still paying for your insurance like :xconfused:

raz786

Advanced Member

As stupid as it is they will say its because if your enemployed then you'll probably drive the car more if you've got the time, crap i know, and they'll probably also have a prejudice towards the unemployed. Perhaps its because of stsatistics, but its crap nonetheless as no 2 people are the same. Try a few other companies come renewal time mate if they won't insure you, if you have the money I don't see why it would be a problem. Good Luck in finding a job, that would be the best result for you xthumbup

jay82

Advanced Member

they think your a higher risk to insure cause more than likely your gonna claim.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

linzi94: Tell them you're a house wife or choosing not to work as you're a full time carer for your Gran or something :)

linzi94

Advanced Member

well, A-plan have refused to renew my insurance after 4 years of custom and the cash is waiting in my bank account for my next 12 months of insurance.

Sky refused to insure me aswell.

Swinton gave me a quote from the moon followed closely by Adrian flux. (over twice what i payed last year)

my car has hardly moved since i became unemployed as i have access to another 2 vehicles. also, im considering not renewing until i have a job and becoming a named driver on the other cars as it appears to work out a lot more cost effective.

my teg will be tucked up in the garage where it has been for the best part of a year.

insurance companies are so dissapointing.

linzi94

Advanced Member
thanks, i tried them and they said twice what adrian flux quoted.

my insurance last year cost £491 fully comp so you see why im not happy to pay £1400.

my mum who isnt unemployed but is retired only had to pay an extra £25.

apparently unemployed people use their cars a lot more because of all the spare time and job seekers allowance pays you loads so you can afford to go lots of places in all your spare time because petrol is so cheap. :roll:

vtecz

Advanced Member
hondafreek said:
Why not tell them you have a job? How can they check?
I agree

what if you work as a contracter, sometimes there are gaps betwen contracts, does this mean you have to inform them everytime, so stupid these insurance companies anything to take more money off you. Aslong as they get their money whats it got to do with them what you earn

mikegsi

Staff member
Self employed gardener, one of the best jobs to have for insurance as apparantly they don't suffer much from stress and their driving is calm and controlled........ Worked for me a few years ago

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
I hate this kind of crap that insurance companys come up with.

We (as in everybody in the country) should cancel our insurance and drive uninsured. This would make them sit up and be a bit fast in my opinion as they would all go bust in a matter of hours.

Good luck with the job hunting.

linzi94

Advanced Member
lying is not an option.

once i get a job, guess who i wont be calling for a quote...

Hoodster

Advanced Member
Don't talk to me about discrimination try living in Bradford and getting a quote ](*,)

Hoodster

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Hoodster said:
Don't talk to me about discrimination try living in Bradford and getting a quote ](*,)
Who the hell would live in Bradford ? :eek:
Bradford is a big place its not all bad just like any other city good and bad you shouldn't believe every thing you read or hear.

sn:afu

Advanced Member
Hoodster said:
dotty said:
Hoodster said:
Who the hell would live in Bradford ? :eek:
Bradford is a big place its not all bad just like any other city good and bad you shouldn't believe every thing you read or hear.
So the internet doesn't speaketh the truth? :xcry:

Shame to hear you've only got one kidney left, I also sold mine to fund my GTR insurance..... :xrealangry:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
the reason they ask your occupation is to assess what they think is the risk of insuring you.

actors and journalists are some of the worst occupations to have in terms of car insurance, something to do with the type of person you are, they think they can judge that from your occupation, whether or not you may be wreckless behind the wheel.

May be better telling them you're a funeral director....