A squeal in my head?!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Evening all,

As above when the engine is loaded. From the side area of the head where the chain would run.

Has anyone had a squeal when revs are applied from this area?! I'm thinking possibly the chain is rubbing incorrectly on one of the guides?! Or could it be the tensioner that's a bit dodgy?! Power isn't down but it's annoying as hell!

Any help / info would be great

Thanks!

Paul

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I had sort of the same problem. Got a squeal when I kicked it, and mainly in vtec.

Try driving with the air con on and off. All the electrics on and off and see if you can narrow it down abit more, that's the advice I was given.

It started happing on mine once I changed the aux belt. I thought it was the tensioner. But a mate of mine said it was coming from the other side of the block.....and to make things worse it's just stopped doing it now.

Can't be any more help I'm afraid unless you get a video up. I even bought a spare tensioner pully....lol

Hth dude.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I've alreadyc changed tensioner pulley, water pump and new belt. It's in the top of the head somewhere I'm sure or round the back anyways. I've had the vtec controller solenoid off aswell! Everything round there is fine so I'm guessing it's something to do with the chain/running gear

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
Also are there any problems/noises associated with the VTC actuator?!

Thanks again
Yes! Had mine changed as it sounded like the chain was rattling, but it turned out it was the VTC gear. They have veins/ fins that move eith oil pressure to control vtec, but off vtec mine had worked loose so just sounded like a bag of nails. Lol To change it though, budget for that part...., plus new timing chain, tensioner, guides etc its all got to come off to get to it, so might aswell put new back in. I had fd2 parts put back in as the design had been revised. Got all mine done at TGM for a reasonable price but not cheap by any stretch.

But I never had a squeaky noise though, not even during them starting to fail....so unsure as to what yours could be. I don't recall there being anything in there that can squeek?! :/ sorry

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I sounds like something rattling quickly in the head as soon as the accelerator is pressed, like the top chain guide is loose - it doesn't sound anything like the VTC faults I've watched online! I'll have to take the cam cover off tomorrow when I get time!

Cheers

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Update: I removed the cam cover and looked at the upper chain guide.

The nylon guide seems to have a lot of play on the steel bracket?! Is this normal?

Cheers!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Anyone any ideas? Or is it going to be a chain, guides and tensioner job while i have it in bits?

Thanks