About to buy...

Rob R

Advanced Member
For servicing you mean? If so TGM and EuroSpec/ARTech aren't too far away from you.

macky17

Advanced Member
Thanks Rob.

Not much luck so far - 1st car I tried the Vtec didn't even kick in at 6k! Poor paint and chavvy wheels too.

2nd car much nicer but driver's seat had been swapped for a passenger seat so you were sat to the left of the steering wheel (no doubt decent driver's seats are like rocking horse shite?). Not even derestricted either...

3rd time's a charm I hope.

Newty

Advanced Member
Some must haves to mod your car.....

KPro ECU...
GruppeM Filter...
BuddyClub Exhaust...
TODA Manifold...
Eibach Springs...

HA HA...I'm selling my DC5, White, with all of the above and some...

Have a ponder over to the 'For Sale' section!!!

macky17

Advanced Member
Yes I saw it - nice. Why do you have to live about 1000 miles away (not literally I know but it's too far for me :( )

Grov

Banned
Why is it to far? people always say that, i went to Swansea to get mine. If it's a cracker and a good price, id drive just about anywhere.

macky17

Advanced Member
Essex to Cumbria for a car I might not buy - maybe when I was younger but not now. Too knackered :)

Newty

Advanced Member
macky17 said:
Essex to Cumbria for a car I might not buy - maybe when I was younger but not now. Too knackered :)
Yeah....thats understandable!!! Location is a pain for me, the cul-de-sac of Cumbria, not an easy place to get too just for a peek, it really seems to be against me jus now!!!

I got the car from Aberdeen...didnt look at her at all, just relied on pics and info and got a transport company to bring her down...fair to say, I was sweatin until it arrived, what a risk....but been well worth it!!!

Good luck with finding a good DC5, great cars (I reckon I will be back for one in a few years!)...if you want more pics, just ask.

Grov

Banned
Ok it's a fair way, but your really limiting your options for a already rareish car, if your only willing to travel 50 miles or whatever................

Rob R

Advanced Member
I'm making a 9 hour round trip from Kent to Devon to get mine, what's half a day of travelling if you know you're getting what you want?!

macky17

Advanced Member
But that's the thing - you don't know you're getting what you want until you get there. It may come to travelling anyway but I think a look at Mike's in Norwich comes first...

Newty

Advanced Member
macky17 said:
Silly question: is there a decent buyer's guide somewhere?
Search the forum...a fair number of people have asked about buying etc...those with the know how have posted plenty about what to look for etc etc.

Kevin Girdler

Advanced Member
To be fair its probably much safer buying off someone on this forum. Most people on here are very honest and would send you any number of pics and details about the car. This would reduce the chances of you not being happy with it once you were there. Effectively you would almost definately buy it once you got there as there would be no susprises. Although i do appreciate there are no gaurantees.

macky17

Advanced Member
At last! I have purchased Mike's lovely red DC5 in Norwich and just had real fun driving it home. I love the way these things handle and feel - the car a Civic Type R should have been.

Anyway, I hoped you guys would congratulate me by cutting me some slack while I rush around not using the search facility: What tyre pressures do you recommend and when/how do you check the oil? (engine hot, engine cold, etc.) Mike has kindly given me a few litres of Mobil 1 0W40 - is this ok? I thought it should be 5W40?

That's all, promise. Will post pics soon.

macky17

Advanced Member
Thanks Mr Blue.

The tyres are 'Milanza Hero HZ1' which I assume is a budget/mid range tyre. Pretty good so far in the dry - in the wet we will see. I can tell the pressures are too low as the fronts are too inclined to squeal. I'll start at 32/32 and see how I get on. Interestingly, the front tyres are 40 profile and the rears 45 - better than the other way around I suppose. Strangely, the 45 higher profile looks better to my eyes. I'll fit some nice Toyos or Michellins when these are shot.

And checking the oil - any proceedure I should follow?? Most cars I warm the engine then take a reading 10mins after I switch off.

dave kil

Advanced Member
If I recall correctly the manual states to have the engine at normal operating temprature when checking the level.
With 0w-40 you might find it uses a god bit of oil so do what most others do and check the level every fill up

Congrats by the way =D>

dave kil

Advanced Member
To be sure, check the oil section on the forum. So much info of everyone's preferences into oil types/brands

macky17

Advanced Member
Feels better at 32/32 for sure. I think for the oil I will stick to my method with other cars.

Now I have a decision to make: the wheels are currently matt black which looks ok but wouldn't be my choice. I am trying to decide between having them refurbed and sprayed: 1) Gloss Black 2) Gloss White 3) Regular steely colour. Any opinions for a red 'teg?