ABS light stays on?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

i've recently been to view a DC5 and noticed that the ABS light stayed on for the journey after the brakes were used on the test drive.

the owner was very genuine and honest, and told me that it only happens when its wet (which it was) and he had only seen it 4 or 5 times in his ownership of around 6 months.

the brakes still worked adequately even with the light on

the owner had the theory that the issue may be related to water getting into the ABS sensor and causing an error?

anyone else experienced this?

i checked on the search function but couldnt find anything

any info appreciated, going to have another look on the weekend

thanks

p.s first post :xgrin:

Rom

Advanced Member
If the lights on, its telling you theres a fault.

You will need to get the code out of it, to know what is wrong.

Brakes will work fine with an abs fault, the same way they work all the time your not actuating abs. Abs is what you feel when you emergency stop, the pedal modulates, the brakes are being applied and let off, rather than just held on. This is to prevent locking up and skidding.

With a fault, the system should go into failsafe, which is abs off.

Ive had a quick search for you, best i could find is this

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34723-no-abs-light-at-all-and-no-abs/?p=337728

The link within the link, gives you all the codes, but i cant seem to find a 100% verified answer as to how to get them out. So please check and search for yourself.

Its likely an abs sensor, but i wouldnt buy the car until i knew what it was. Unless your knocking him down, and know you can get it fixed within budget.

You can find an RSX (US DC5, as close as we have to our Type R?) manual here http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6545-rsx-workshop-manual/

These have old inductive abs sensors which are a lot easier to test for a diy'er.

Fallout460

Yea this happens to me whenever i wash my engine stays on for a day or so then goes off on its own I did a scan once when it was on no codes showed up.. Breaks works fine ABS still worked just the light stayed on for a couple hrs. Thats it but now when i do a engine wash I cover the ABS module Thing in the engine bay on the left and the light does not come on.. so i guess the guy probably washed his engine before you came to test drive and didn't cover the ABS thing.