Accessing the mirror control switch/PCB board to replace bulb – folding mirror button impeding

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
I‘m trying to access the PCB board inside the mirror control switch to replace the bulb which does not illuminate ‘Mirror‘ when the lights are switched on. I‘ve got as far as unclipping the 2 halves of the power folding mirror switch (this is the unit that consists of the directional mirror adjustment, the power folding button and the left/right switch). It is at this point where, when I begin to separate the 2 halves, the power folding mirror button/plastic cover with the mirror logo on it impedes the separation. I can only describe this as if it has been assembled in a way where one half has been put on top of the other then the plastic folding button/cover itself has been put on last at the other side/on top which is now attached to the other side! I have tried to pull/pry the plastic folding mirror button/cover off but it is not budging and doesn‘t feel the strongest. This has made me doubt whether or not the button can even be taken off.

Hoping someone can tell me where I am going wrong, if the power folding mirror button/plastic cover cannot be taken off or if I need a bit more elbow grease and it can be taken off! This seems like the only reasonable way to separate the 2 halves to access the PCB board (by removing the button) as otherwise we would all need to buy a new mirror control switch when a bulb goes out! :)

Bonus point to anyone that happens to know the bulb type or part number. I think the part no. is 35851-S6M-A01 but I could be wrong. Appreciate any help, it is figure #1 on this link: http://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlist.php?maker=honda&type=INTEGRA%203D&cartype=25408&fig=B&fig1=1110.

Thanks.

M

mattreay

I actually did this recently. You can't buy the bulb separately from Honda but I managed to find the right type from an online electrical spares place. I ended up with a pack of 5 so I've got 4 spare. Also got a spare switch module as I originally bought one which was supposedly working but the back light was also broken. It's a little fiddly to solder the new bulb on.
You have to pull the fold mirror button off then the rest comes off the back.
Where are you located? I'm in Wrexham. If you're locally I'd happily do the repair for you like I did with mine.

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Ahh you are some man, thanks for letting me know that! I'm based in Glasgow so a bit away haha but really appreciate the offer mate.

I will give the button a firmer pull and hopefully get the old bulb out for a look. Thanks again for that Matt xthumbsup

M

mattreay

No worries. Let me know how you get on. If you're stuck I could solder one of the spare bulbs I've got in to my spare switch and do you a swap.

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Just to update this, button comes off with a good pull as you said Matt so thanks again :)

eBay only had the 14v 60ma bulb in quantities of 10 which I didn't really need! Maplin (and seemingly everywhere else) only had a 12v bulb in yellow and red so took one of each...long story short, soldered the yellow one on but barely illuminates even with the little red plastic cap/cover off of the bulb.

Ordered the white 14v 60ma bulbs off eBay as the JP Carparts link above states. Hopefully does the trick and is one of the minuscule 'to do' jobs off of the list!

M

mattreay

Nice one. I ended up reusing the little red cover on a clear bulb. The cover is a little fiddly to remove from the old bulb and got damaged a little but it did the job fine

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Thought it would be helpful to post some pictures of the end result to give people some perspective instead of my original first post ramble (and hopefully help some other people too, even if it is just an insignificant bulb!):

Here's the inside of the mirror switch/PCB board. The red blob is the bulb (red cover easily goes on/comes off the bulb). This is what needed replaced and sits within a black plastic 'housing'. Either side of the red blob/the bulb is the soldering points...the left side is perfect, the right is a mess but does the job! The bulb you need is a clear wire ended 14v 60ma.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Have you a link to the bulb? Searched there but couldn't find it

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Looks like the listing has finished again but was called (exact wording):

'Miniature wire ended lamps 14V 60mA 3 x 7mm Qty 10 NEW'

Seller details: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ecl80?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I contacted them as the listing also finished - the guy replied in about 20 minutes and put on another 2 listings immediately. So would recommend and also based in UK.

These look similar if you want to buy from Germany or a quantity of 100! (ignore the ones that say 'brown base' - you want the long wire ended ones):

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=14v%2060ma&ssPageName=GSTL&_mwBanner=1