AD08R vs Pilot Sport

Elliot438

AD08R better.... PS are a great tyre and probably a better all-rounder for a road car though although I enjoy my AD08R on my road car

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
for track use only i wouldn't have either. I've ran both btw. AD08R isn't a semi slick, i'd be going for a Federal RSR or a Nankang AR-1.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Yeah I have both on 2 different sets of wheels.

If its wet the pilots are just as fast if not faster as the AD08R but thats to be expected.

In the dry the Ad08R are far superior, last longer, way better feel and the grip levels are very high.

Wear rate seems to be better on from the AD08R.

If its just for track use look up AR-1, Advan dedicated track tyres or toyo r888r. They are more expensive but grip levels are significantly higher than the 2 above while still remaining road legal

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info guys, I'll take a look at other semi slick options was well as the two I have

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Another consideration (from stuff I've read in the past on here).

If you are running R888r or similar a sump baffle is a good idea as the extra G force will increase starvation to one side of the engine under cornering.

Maybe a load of shit but I thought I'd mention it anyway as it seemed to make sence, what I read on here about the matter.

SnejVTEC

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:

If you are running R888r or similar a sump baffle is a good idea as the extra G force will increase starvation to one side of the engine under cornering.

Maybe a load of excrement but I thought I'd mention it anyway as it seemed to make sence, what I read on here about the matter.
Thats all true! 😊

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:

Maybe a load of excrement but I thought I'd mention it anyway as it seemed to make sence, what I read on here about the matter.
Not a load of rubbish at all and you're absoloutely right. Grippier tyres increase the chances of oil starvation so it's definetely worth getting a baffled sump if you're going for full on track tyres or doing loads of track days.

I did my first track day this year and it wasn't something I was aware of. When I asked people for advice around the trackday they all said to get a baffled sump such as this one.

https://www.clockwisemotion.co.uk/productstandard/honda-k20-baffled-sump-ep3-dc5?sku=K20-BAF-EP3

Hope that helps.

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
Yes it's got a sump baffel fitted.
Have Federal RSR's aswell now. So may go with them over the other two sets

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ryanj1993 said:
for track use only i wouldn't have either. I've ran both btw. AD08R isn't a semi slick, i'd be going for a Federal RSR or a Nankang AR-1.
I‘m going to run my ad08rs this year to finish them and am then going to AR-1‘s, I love those on track

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've just bought two AD08R for the front as the RE070's were worn on the outside edge. Only had them on a few days so can't comment on them yet but I'll report back once I've run them in better. Ideally I'd like them on the rear too but just don't have the money right now. They come highly rated so I'm expecting big things from them lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I've just bought two AD08R for the front as the RE070's were worn on the outside edge. Only had them on a few days so can't comment on them yet but I'll report back once I've run them in better. Ideally I'd like them on the rear too but just don't have the money right now. They come highly rated so I'm expecting big things from them lol.
AD08R is an awesome all round tyre. I‘m going to put AR-1‘s on my track only wheels next and considering ps4‘s For road. Then AD08R‘s again on my spare spares for warmer days if my car sees the road lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Took the car for a spirtied drive around the North West Wales coast and Snowdonia today, my local roads.

Something I noticed with the AD08R is that once there's heat in them, they make the DC5 feel like a much lighter car - has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?

The car felt much nimbler and not flabby as it normally does, could have just been because I'd opened the engine up and everything was up to temperature but the car's handling and its characteristics definetely felt better once the tyres were warm.

I do think they could be a little more grippier though, I wasn't losing grip as such but they felt at times as though there was a bit of movement in the car when pushed really hard, not all the time just sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with people lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Took the car for a spirtied drive around the North West Wales coast and Snowdonia today, my local roads.

I do think they could be a little more grippier though, I wasn't losing grip as such but they felt at times as though there was a bit of movement in the car when pushed really hard
When you're on a circuit they will grip better than on the road as it will hold the temp's better and they will be getting hotter than they would on the road, imagine how many more cars will be generating heat into a nice smooth flat surface and you'll just be adding to that and using the same surface so the track will be hotter and the tyres generating and holding more heat :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the post mate, yes agree man. They will be hotter than a mother fuc*ker on track. lol

I remember how hot my Bridgestones were on Anglesey and it wasn't a particularly warm day that day and the RE070's disintegrated haha! I did run through loads of rubber and was on the slow part of the track for most of the day which didn't help, the AD08's sound as though they will certainly last longer.

I've got the car as best as it can be now, I can't afford to do anything else to it so although it's not perfect, I'm sure it will feel better this time and I really think these tyres will help me enjoy the day a bit more. I had concerns about them letting off after 10-15 mins like the Bridgestones but the feedback I've read online and from people such as yourself is that they hold up pretty well, seemingly not far of 888's when hot?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the post mate, yes agree man. They will be hotter than a mother fuc*ker on track. lol

I remember how hot my Bridgestones were on Anglesey and it wasn't a particularly warm day that day and the RE070's disintegrated haha! I did run through loads of rubber and was on the slow part of the track for most of the day which didn't help, the AD08's sound as though they will certainly last longer.

I've got the car as best as it can be now, I can't afford to do anything else to it so although it's not perfect, I'm sure it will feel better this time and I really think these tyres will help me enjoy the day a bit more. I had concerns about them letting off after 10-15 mins like the Bridgestones but the feedback I've read online and from people such as yourself is that they hold up pretty well, seemingly not far of 888's when hot?
I think you‘ll enjoy it more, I did a number of 30 min sessions on them and no issues ever. I was getting them to 32 degrees hot and they stayed close to that the whole time and on that day it was hot (25-28) throughout the day which in a car with heating on isn‘t ideal lol.