Advan AD08 vs Bridgestone Potenza Re070

wipdesigns

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R (215/45/17) - £95 each

Bridgestone Potenza Re070 (225/45/17) - £85 each

Currently, have these installed:
Rear: Fulda Sport Control (215/45/17) £98 each
Fronts: Nereus Sailfish NS601 (215/45/17) WTF, no info on these anywhere online?

---

Did anyone have any feedback on the aforementioned tyres?

I've only just purchased a DC5 and it has two sets of tyres on it that i've never heard of nor used before and I'm convinced they're spoiling the feel/grip of the DC5, after hearing that it's hard to reach the limits of the DC5 on the road i'm a bit taken back, especially coming from my DC2 that seems to have more grip than the DC5.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I too come from a DC2 background and would say your tyres are the issue, however saying that what suspension are you running on the DC2?

Tyre wise depends on your needs from them, track of road?

Both Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R and Bridgestone Potenza Re070 are great. I am running Bridgestones on my road wheels and (225/45/17) AD08R's on my track ones.

AD08R's need to get a lot more heat in them and are very very capable when up to temp on track etc, but I rarely use them on the road, the Bridgestones last longer on the road from my experience and are again a very good setup.

You can run 225 all round without an issue so I'd recommend that no matter what decision you make. The alternatives, never used either, well never heard of let alone used them but if for the road I have heard good things about PS4's also mate.

Carl

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Just road and all year round performance PS4s as above. AD08s are still very much a road focused tyre for a semi slick, however perform great on the road and for track work. Never tried RE070s though, but as they get good reviews across all models I dont see the point trying RE070 myself.

wipdesigns

I have MeisterR Zeta S on the DC2. Yellow Speeds on the DC5.

I can approach a corner in the DC2, turn and it just turns with no hesitation, nice and solid and instant feedback, the DC5 last night i took the same corner and it semi-washed out what felt like 30 cm so i had to back off and then it came back... really not happy with that feel, i want the steering wheel to be connected to the road in a solid way...

Going to use the car in summer months on the road only.

carl hammond said:
I too come from a DC2 background and would say your tyres are the issue, however saying that what suspension are you running on the DC2?

Tyre wise depends on your needs from them, track of road?

Both Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R and Bridgestone Potenza Re070 are great. I am running Bridgestones on my road wheels and (225/45/17) AD08R's on my track ones.

AD08R's need to get a lot more heat in them and are very very capable when up to temp on track etc, but I rarely use them on the road, the Bridgestones last longer on the road from my experience and are again a very good setup.

You can run 225 all round without an issue so I'd recommend that no matter what decision you make. The alternatives, never used either, well never heard of let alone used them but if for the road I have heard good things about PS4's also mate.

Carl

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have MeisterR Zeta S on the DC2. Yellow Speeds on the DC5.

I can approach a corner in the DC2, turn and it just turns with no hesitation, nice and solid and instant feedback, the DC5 last night i took the same corner and it semi-washed out what felt like 30 cm so i had to back off and then it came back... really not happy with that feel, i want the steering wheel to be connected to the road in a solid way...

Going to use the car in summer months on the road only.
Ok, I know what you mean about the DC2 vs DC5 points and I can't comment on the Yellow Speeds as I have never used them or bought any but I have Showa Mugen shocks with spoon springs and a set of Bilstein B16 coilovers to go on it if and when I want. On the OEM setup the DC5 gave me 0 confidence vs my DC2, as soon as I had the Mugen and spoon setup it felt better and is imo exactly how a DC2 feels out the box, one thing to consider is speed, the DC5 will more than likely be carrying more pace and also more weight into the corner so this will have an impact on things but the lift off oversteer is near on the same between the cars.

I would say it's tire related (as you don't have the same all round etc and also could be anything to do with geo and bushes, maybe some worn bushes, geo needs adjusting or you need to get a feel for the car.

I had my DC2 6 years and knew everything about it and how to use it to the max on track, went to GTR's for a few years and then came back to the DC5 which I hated out the box and couldn't agree with, now it's just right for a very capable and road/track compliant car, I will be upgrading more things as it gets more and more track focussed but deff look at a set of PS4's or RE070's if more road focussed as the AD08R's wont last as long and wont be as good in the wet imo (which is why I have various sets of wheels and tyres ready for mine)

wipdesigns

Great, yes I'm the same, have had the DC2 for 6 years also, and it's incredible how it talks to you, but just wanted something a little more modern and easier to live with on a daily basis, so only decision was a DC5 really. Still need to learn the car, but it does feel slower to respond and feels like a much heavier car (with the current setup maybe) going to play with hardness on suspension and maybe swap the rear tyres to the front seeing as they have actual ratings on review websites, unlike the unknowns that are on the front currently...

Appreciate your time to reply.

carl hammond said:
Ok, I know what you mean about the DC2 vs DC5 points and I can't comment on the Yellow Speeds as I have never used them or bought any but I have Showa Mugen shocks with spoon springs and a set of Bilstein B16 coilovers to go on it if and when I want. On the OEM setup the DC5 gave me 0 confidence vs my DC2, as soon as I had the Mugen and spoon setup it felt better and is imo exactly how a DC2 feels out the box, one thing to consider is speed, the DC5 will more than likely be carrying more pace andalso more weight into the corner so this will have an impact on things but the lift off oversteer is near on the same between the cars.

I would say it's tire related (as you don't have the same all round etc and also could be anything to do with geo and bushes, maybe some worn bushes, geo needs adjusting or you need to get a feel for the car.

I had my DC2 6 years and knew everything about it and how to use it to the max on track, went to GTR's for a few years and then came back to the DC5 which I hated out the box and couldn't agree with, now it's just right for a very capable and road/track compliant car, I will be upgrading more things as it gets more and more track focussed but deff look at a set of PS4's or RE070's if more road focussed as the AD08R's wont last as long and wont be as good in the wet imo (which is why I have various sets of wheels and tyres ready for mine)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Great, yes I'm the same, have had the DC2 for 6 years also, and it's incredible how it talks to you, but just wanted something a little more modern and easier to live with on a daily basis, so only decision was a DC5 really. Still need to learn the car, but it does feel slower to respond and feels like a much heavier car (with the current setup maybe) going to play with hardness on suspension and maybe swap the rear tyres to the front seeing as they have actual ratings on review websites, unlike the unknowns that are on the front currently...

Appreciate your time to reply.
The DC5 feels and sounds slower than a DC2 due to the Vtec and IVtec differences, also if you don't have additional modifications it will also have an impact and restrict things.

I loved the DC2 but the DC5 is far better as an all round car, the DC2 more focussed for the track but imo too hard to get a good one now and so the DC5 ticked all the boxes, there are a number of cheap and subtle changes to make to a DC5 that free it up and make it feel better than out the box but a lot of people also make the mistake of chasing numbers and sometimes ruin the car, the main thing for me is making the car as light as possible to get it even closer to a DC2 weight at max, mine was a 96spec complete delete option car so weighed next to nothing for a car of it's size, literally 1060kg's max whereas the DC5 on its current diet is about 100kg's heavier I would say.

Main thing is learn the car, they don't handle like a DC5 buy grip and handling are completely different things and the grip levels are unreal, the one thing you'll never find perfect is the feedback you get from it, that is not like a DC5 as such, close but not as perfect imo.

Better all round car but both have their pro's and con's

Deff change the tyres, if local to me (Kent) could always try one of my sets to see how it feels before buying any

wipdesigns

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes the DC2 sounds quicker, up to 60mph but I'd be interested to see if it was actually quicker or just 'seems' quicker with all the extra mechanical noise and road/wind sounds. My DC2 is a 98 Spec with lightened flywheel, decent tyres all around, coilovers, delete model too (no ac, no airbags, no impacts, no rear wiper or 3rd light) full exhaust and tegiwa airbox, tin can on wheels haha.

DC5 has a much nicer usable engine but just doesn't 'seems' to move as quick but then when you look down you're actually doing a fair old pace it just wasn't as hard to get there, the engine feels like a rubber band above 6500krpm, I'll change tyres first before anything else as I'm sure it's those that are causing the lack of feel and turn in. I'll switch the rears for fronts first as it's free then go from there.

Has a Toda exhaust and a generic 'cone filter on a shiny tube' so not sure what else could be done to give it more free-flowing, but i agree sometimes top end numbers make the overall drivability worse, it feels like it doesn't respond instantly unlike the DC2 which the split second you touch the accelerator it pulls, admittedly you have to concentrate 100% or you'll be out of power, but the DC5 I can drive quite lazy and it still pulls in all gears.

I'm way up north from you in Sheffield, but i really appreciate the offer!

carl hammond said:
The DC5 feels and sounds slower than a DC2 due to the Vtec and IVtec differences, also if you don't have additional modifications it will also have an impact and restrict things.

I loved the DC2 but the DC5 is far better as an all round car, the DC2 more focussed for the track but imo too hard to get a good one now and so the DC5 ticked all the boxes, there are a number of cheap and subtle changes to make to a DC5 that free it up and make it feel better than out the box but a lot of people also make the mistake of chasing numbers and sometimes ruin the car, the main thing for me is making the car as light as possible to get it even closer to a DC2 weight at max, mine was a 96spec complete delete option car so weighed next to nothing for a car of it's size, literally 1060kg's max whereas the DC5 on its current diet is about 100kg's heavier I would say.

Main thing is learn the car, they don't handle like a DC5 buy grip and handling are completely different things and the grip levels are unreal, the one thing you'll never find perfect is the feedback you get from it, that is not like a DC5 as such, close but not as perfect imo.

Better all round car but both have their pro's and con's

Deff change the tyres, if local to me (Kent) could always try one of my sets to see how it feels before buying any

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes the DC2 sounds quicker, up to 60mph but I'd be interested to see if it was actually quicker or just 'seems' quicker with all the extra mechanical noise and road/wind sounds. My DC2 is a 98 Spec with lightened flywheel, decent tyres all around, coilovers, delete model too (no ac, no airbags, no impacts, no rear wiper or 3rd light) full exhaust and tegiwa airbox, tin can on wheels haha.

DC5 has a much nicer usable engine but just doesn't 'seems' to move as quick but then when you look down you're actually doing a fair old pace it just wasn't as hard to get there, the engine feels like a rubber band above 6500krpm, I'll change tyres first before anything else as I'm sure it's those that are causing the lack of feel and turn in. I'll switch the rears for fronts first as it's free then go from there.

Has a Toda exhaust and a generic 'cone filter on a shiny tube' so not sure what else could be done to give it more free-flowing, but i agree sometimes top end numbers make the overall drivability worse, it feels like it doesn't respond instantly unlike the DC2 which the split second you touch the accelerator it pulls, admittedly you have to concentrate 100% or you'll be out of power, but the DC5 I can drive quite lazy and it still pulls in all gears.

I'm way up north from you in Sheffield, but i really appreciate the offer!
If you have a filter and exhaust and no K100 or Kpro they will be doing nothing for it tbh, a remap really frees the K20 up as does a manifold swap mate, hope the tyre changes make it come alive more for you but yeah the DC5 is as fast as if not faster than a DC2 as a whole and on track they are really evenly matched (depending on the track setup) but the DC2 just feels and sounds faster all the time due to the weight and basicness of everything (literally) as sounds like your 98spec isn't far off the 96 I had, although mine was no stereo, no speakers, no anything option car (I ended up having to fit a headunit and two speakers to be sane on long journeys lol)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Never had a DC2 so can't comment but Carl and I have been in a lot of discussion about these cars. I'm in complete agreement in that they feel heavy, this is my second DC5 and I too can't gel with it.

They feel flabby and shifting that weight isn't going to be easy but compared to other more modern cars it's actually probably quite light.

There are many poor things with the DC5 imo. Handling isn't great, it's too hard for British roads, the brakes are crap. Engine is great and imo sounds great, 4th is amazing but they need a load doing to get them spot on mate.

As Carl has mentioned above, get the handling and braking sorted. A few forum members have gone for the Yellowspeed coilovers from Area Motorsports, they seem to be good. Failing that Nitron or Bilstein. I'd also invest in some decent pads or if you can afford it a Big Brake Kit.

As mentioned they're heavy so attacking bends and corners isn't going to be the same.

I'm running OEM dampers with Spoon springs and the handling is fuc*ing rubbish. Definitely scope for improvement with these cars but it'll cost you to get it where you want it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm also running RE070's, great looking tyre and stiff sidewall but they're too heavy. I'd go AD08R as they're supposed to be fantastic or Michelin PS4 which will be better in the wet and over the Winter.

wipdesigns

The issue is my experience has been slow 1.4 civic, two VTi coupe, dc2 that‘s got every mod available so anything after that is going to feel heavy and or slow to respond. I think the DC5 is a brilliant car but I‘m so used to modified cars that I can see and feel where the improvements can be made. Got some big shoes to fill the DC5.

wipdesigns

Thanks for your feedback. I‘m leaning towards the ad08 too, didn‘t consider the 070 being heavy, they look super beefy but might not fit my setup without raising the car..

Crazylegs said:
I'm also running RE070's, great looking tyre and stiff sidewall but they're too heavy. I'd go AD08R as they're supposed to be fantastic or Michelin PS4 which will be better in the wet and over the Winter.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Still stick the way you describe the dc5 you have bought an absolute nail lol
Not a nail, just unhappy with the handling and braking bud. I know I sound like a serial moaner but DC5's and I just aren't compatible I don't think.

I still love the car and it looks lovely. I'm absolutely confident that with some better brakes, a softer suspension setup and some better tyres it would feel totally different but out of the box they need a lot spending on them.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
No worries mate.

They're a good tyre, good looking too but they weigh a tonne and they're chunky.

They don't wear well on track either. My next tyre will be an AD08R definitely as I've never had them before, they're substantially more expensive than the RE070's but they're expensive for a reason.

Up to you mate I guess, lots run them and are happy with with them so don't take my word as gospel. Lol

ollieh17

Advanced Member
*Out of the box they need alot to suited to British roads... bearing in mind they were never designed for such

Elliot438

AD08R are a more track focused tyre but still work well on our roads for most of the year, would not recommend driving in any ice or snow though lol but the tyre really compliments the car IMO. Something like PS4 would work better as an all-rounder slightly sacrificing some dry grip and some tyre wall stiffness