Advan AD08 vs Bridgestone Potenza Re070

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
*Out of the box they need alot to suited to British roads... bearing in mind they were never designed for such
Which strengthens my point. They're too hard for roads, as you said they're made for track hence they need a lot of work and money to get them more road focused.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
*Out of the box they need alot to suited to British roads... bearing in mind they were never designed for such
Exactly this, DC5, FD2 both pants on uk roads without slight changes but too many mods quickly can ruin ones feel for a car and what it could have been.

Brakes ok a DC5 in my experience are very good out the box, with decent lines, pads, fluid and oem discs they are very capable for track and road use but the oem suspension is too crashy.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Ad08s are actually a road focused tyre. Albeit a summer tyre.
AD08R is slightly more track focussed than he more road focussed AD08, the R version is much better on track and worse in the rain lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Elliot438 said:
AD08R are a more track focused tyre but still work well on our roads for most of the year, would not recommend driving in any ice or snow though lol but the tyre really compliments the car IMO. Something like PS4 would work better as an all-rounder slightly sacrificing some dry grip and some tyre wall stiffness
Spot on imo, I use Potenzas on the road at present and AD08R‘s on track, will try PS4 on road next and R888R on track to see how they feel vs my normal but I‘d ot run AD08R in winter ever as they are ok in the rain but not great lol

Mike9000

Advanced Member
wipdesigns said:
Currently, have these installed:
Rear: Fulda Sport Control (215/45/17) £98 each
Fronts: Nereus Sailfish NS601 (215/45/17) WTF, no info on these anywhere online?

Did anyone have any feedback on the aforementioned tyres?

[/size]
Rumour has it that Nereus use fish scales in their ‘rubber‘ compound. I kid you not. That is why when you encounter a wet road, they have grip comparable to a human hand frantically grappling with a coy carp.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I hate my AD08R's for road, they pick so much shit up and are pretty noisey. Much prefer my PS4's for the road. AD08's for track though .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mike9000

Advanced Member
wipdesigns said:
The issue is my experience has been slow 1.4 civic, two VTi coupe, dc2 that‘s got every mod available so anything after that is going to feel heavy and or slow to respond. I think the DC5 is a brilliant car but I‘m so used to modified cars that I can see and feel where the improvements can be made. Got some big shoes to fill the DC5.
I sold my DC2 just over 10 years ago. Vogue Silver, 98spec, wiper, airbag, abs delete model. Hard act to follow.
Drove my DC5 today. Mugen suspension I find fine and fairly compliant and I have braided lines and aftermarket pads (blue ones, assume endless maybe). Not sure what else as it‘s a recent import and I‘ve not had the time to do much except drive when the weather is nice. Might have been unhappy with a stock car., don‘t know.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Once you try a tyre like direzzas or a048 you'll see why ad08 is much more of a street tyre

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Once you try a tyre like direzzas or a048 you'll see why ad08 is much more of a street tyre
I've used most road legal track tyres over the years on my GTI-R's, Integrale, DC2, GTR's and so on (just not on the DC5 yet as I only started using it on track this year) and over the years I have found the AD08R is the best all round road/track tyre as I have to drive too and from tracks. I have a set of road and a set of track wheels with additional spares but I fit my track wheels the day before I go and drive up on them (until I am able to have a trailer and not care so to speak). If I was to compare tyres from car to car then I would say that AD08Rs are not far from 888s in terms of grip but in damp/wetter conditions the AD08R is better.

I have never used the original AD08 tyre, I have only used the " R "version, but the OP is not tracking his car which is why I recommended PS4's of the Potenza's in place of AD08R's, if the car is not track focussed but may or will see the track a bit then for the money AD08R's or R888R's are great value, if the cars more track than road or only track focussed then you open up a completely different league of tyre but would ideally take them and fit them at the track and not drive up on them.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Basically what I said, PS4 for all year round tyre driving in all conditions. If only in good weather, not downpours etc AD08rs.

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
I'm running on ps4 all round at the moment and am very impressed with them. They give a lot of confidence for a road tyre and don't seem too bad in the wet either. A very good all rounder and apparently the highly regarded ps4s is even better.

My Teg had AD08s on when I bought it and must admit once warmed up, I couldn't find the limit of them on the road. They just keep on hanging on beyond what any normal tyre can achieve. The only thing I found is that they caused my car to bumpsteer all over the place on uneven surfaces. This was probably down to the fact the car had sat for nearly a year after being imported, plus they were well worn. The sidewalls are also rock solid so not very forgiving on the average UK road. I fitted some cheap Conti Sportcontact3s after that and the ride was improved tenfold, as was the bumpsteer. They flex like mad though and do no favours to the handling, but I'll put them back on over winter just to get some life out of them.

wipdesigns

Thanks for the feedback!

Put more air in the crapfish tyres and they feel slightly better but still feel like they‘re some budget tyre, very bouncy when going over bumps which is nice daily but then when you want to have a play down country lanes it holds me back. Couple more clicks on the front suspension to stiffen up the car made a little improvement but then it only highlights the squishyness in the front tyres haha

Once I get five minutes I‘m going to test the tests on the front, but it‘s going to be a tough decision when I come to replace them, leaning towards AD08 (not the R version) at the moment.

CW05TEG said:
I'm running on ps4 all round at the moment and am very impressed with them. They give a lot of confidence for a road tyre and don't seem too bad in the wet either. A very good all rounder and apparently the highly regarded ps4s is even better.

My Teg had AD08s on when I bought it and must admit once warmed up, I couldn't find the limit of them on the road. They just keep on hanging on beyond what any normal tyre can achieve. The only thing I found is that they caused my car to bumpsteer all over the place on uneven surfaces. This was probably down to the fact the car had sat for nearly a year after being imported, plus they were well worn. The sidewalls are also rock solid so not very forgiving on the average UK road. I fitted some cheap Conti Sportcontact3s after that and the ride was improved tenfold, as was the bumpsteer. They flex like mad though and do no favours to the handling, but I'll put them back on over winter just to get some life out of them.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
wipdesigns said:
Thanks for the feedback!

Put more air in the crapfish tyres and they feel slightly better but still feel like they‘re some budget tyre, very bouncy when going over bumps which is nice daily but then when you want to have a play down country lanes it holds me back. Couple more clicks on the front suspension to stiffen up the car made a little improvement but then it only highlights the squishyness in the front tyres haha

Once I get five minutes I‘m going to test the tests on the front, but it‘s going to be a tough decision when I come to replace them, leaning towards AD08 (not the R version) at the moment.
I don't think they do the non 'R' version anymore you know.

I do think you need to sack them tyres off as they're not helping. I'm in a similar boat myself as I've not had this set of RE070's on for long but I've recently done a trackday in them and they took a right hammering.

I'd made my mind up that my next tyres would be AD08R's but reading more and more about the PS4 or PS4S they seem to be really highly rated so I'm now torn between the two lol.

I will probably end up giving the AD08R a go as most seem to go for them and they're a tyre I've always wanted to try. lol

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

I do think you need to sack them tyres off as they're not helping. I'm in a similar boat myself as I've not had this set of RE070's on for long but I've recently done a trackday in them and they took a right hammering.

I'd made my mind up that my next tyres would be AD08R's but reading more and more about the PS4 or PS4S they seem to be really highly rated so I'm now torn between the two lol.

I will probably end up giving the AD08R a go as most seem to go for them and they're a tyre I've always wanted to try. lol
Plus the tread pattern looks 'racecar bro'

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
I use my car as my daily at the moment so I try my best to tread that fine line between comfort and grip. The ps4 does this almost perfectly to be fair.

My intention is to eventually get a set of both AD08rs for dry track time and ps4 for road/wet track time.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

You'll over heat the PS4's on a track day mate, have you had a look at Cup 2's? Theyre what everyone uses at the Ring.

I can't really comment too much about AD08R's as my only experience with them was on a soaking wet track day.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
You'll over heat the PS4's on a track day mate, have you had a look at Cup 2's? Theyre what everyone uses at the Ring.

I can't really comment too much about AD08R's as my only experience with them was on a soaking wet track day.

Although I'd like to get another trackday done next year, I won't be doing many so the PS4 might be the better option for me personally.

The Cup 2's look good but they're bloody expensive.

I have the ps4 on mine (Not the ps4s) and they tend to wash out in corners sometimes. I'd prefer more grip. I will swap mine out next year for something better.