Advice for removing afew redundant parts

weggy

Advanced Member
Am looking at stripping some weight from the teg so I am going to remove a few little things that I don't use. eg rear wash wiper, aircon and the stereo I know that these don't add up to much but as a certain supermarket says every little helps .

I am also replacing the front seats for rigid bucket seats and also getting rid of the rear seat as it will be redundent this should be a more worth while weight saving.

Is there anything else that I could easily remove.

Also how much should I sell the above parts for as I am trying to save for a cage and engine rebuild so every bit of cash that I could generate would be usefull.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well in my opinion.
the rear seat ways next to nothing but every little helps, the fronts are weighty but by the time you have fitted buckets, side mounts and runners the saving is not so much however the support is much better, from memory you are not catwalk model size which alot of the buckets are made to fit, i had corbeau pro series as they did an extra wide version (i am also no supermodel as you know) they do a few wide fitting seats and were well priced and even comfy.

remove the stereo is a definate as everyone has an ipod or similar

But i would not remove the AC, it only weighs in at around 10 kg in total, however losing that brings so much discomfort i feel its not worth the weight loss,
when i was doing time attack in 26degrees i was sitting very comfortably with the ac on in the pit lane while everyone else was overheating in their cars, when we were out on track the ac cuts out at WOT so is not sapping any power but kicking in under braking so as it switches on and off in normal operation te ar was still ice cold at the end of the sessions with me very comfortable and much less stressed,
when we were in scotland and it was pissing down my windscreen was totally clear while everyone else was trying rainex /anti fog etc. again due to the ac,
if you are comfortable in your enviroment you will perform better no question.

unless i was building a sprint car where every gram counted i would not remove it, it would be easier and healthier to diet the same weight off.

weggy

Advanced Member
cheers for the advice,

I will save abit as I am just fitting the seats solidly with no runners. I will check out the corbeau pro series. The thing with the aircon is that with the lightened flywheel the only time I can use it is when i am driving and not when I am stood still. But will poss keep it and work round it as it sounds worth keeping, and if you where able to keep it and still be competative then it can stay.

Kinli

Advanced Member
weggy said:
cheers for the advice,

I will save abit as I am just fitting the seats solidly with no runners. I will check out the corbeau pro series. The thing with the aircon is that with the lightened flywheel the only time I can use it is when i am driving and not when I am stood still. But will poss keep it and work round it as it sounds worth keeping, and if you where able to keep it and still be competative then it can stay.
WHAT?!
how is this possible? =P

C&S Evo7:
Are you sure the AC cuts out on WOT? Have you checked from the datalog? Good information indeed if it does operate like that. No need to push the AC button on / off all the time anymore. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I never logged it , but on my car the ac clutch had no power when wot, i just assumed it was like that on all dc5's, I think weggy has autronic ecu so easy to put in if it isn't a STD feature,

I think he is meaning with the light flywheel there is not enough inertia to keep the engine running if the ac is on. I have never heard of that being a problem as the electrical draw would be compensated by adjusting the idle speed automatically , i cant imagine the mechanical drag would be enough to give problems either??
I'm sure he will post a better explanation ;-)

Kinli

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
I never logged it , but on my car the ac clutch had no power when wot, i just assumed it was like that on all dc5's, I think weggy has autronic ecu so easy to put in if it isn't a STD feature,

I think he is meaning with the light flywheel there is not enough inertia to keep the engine running if the ac is on. I have never heard of that being a problem as the electrical draw would be compensated by adjusting the idle speed automatically , i cant imagine the mechanical drag would be enough to give problems either??
I'm sure he will post a better explanation ;-)
K-manager datalogs the ac clutch operation so it would be easy to see what happens on WOT.

The flywheel will not have any affect on AC. There must be something else wrong if the car dies when ac is on at standstill.
I had a TODA flywheel in my EP3 and the ac worked fine.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I no longer have the car and didn't keep datalogs so it looks like we need a volunteer !

So come on members step up to the plate .....

And yes I agree with the flywheel issue, must be something else wrong

Kinli

Advanced Member
I'll try the AC mystery out as soon as I get the car rolling again (next summer) if nobody else beats me to it. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I have asked one of the mods if hr can help,
BUT IT WOULD BE NICE FOR SOME OTHER MEMBERS TO OFFER. ;-). It's not often that I ask so members now you can earn some brownie points!!

Stylesa

Advanced Member
weggy said:
Am looking at stripping some weight from the teg so I am going to remove a few little things that I don't use. eg rear wash wiper, aircon and the stereo I know that these don't add up to much but as a certain supermarket says every little helps .

I am also replacing the front seats for rigid bucket seats and also getting rid of the rear seat as it will be redundent this should be a more worth while weight saving.

Also how much should I sell the above parts for as I am trying to save for a cage and engine rebuild so every bit of cash that I could generate would be usefull.
Steel wheel in the boot weighs a fair bit....jack and tools would be quite a few Kg too.... i have everything out in the back except from the back seat door cards/lining, as they are sort of tied to the roof lining...

I have no back seats, pointless with fixed buckets.

if this is to be a track car then you could remove the power steering pump...? that's be a decent saving.

you'll get next to nothing tbh, probably worth keeping for when you eventually sell....

Dont remove AC.....real pest if you need it and you dont have it! #-o

Kinli

Advanced Member
Stylesa said:
Steel wheel in the boot weighs a fair bit....jack and tools would be quite a few Kg too.... i have everything out in the back except from the back seat door cards/lining, as they are sort of tied to the roof lining...

if this is to be a track car then you could remove the power steering pump...? that's be a decent saving.

you'll get next to nothing tbh, probably worth keeping for when you eventually sell....

The spare wheel is aluminum, not steel. ;)
DC5 uses a hydraulic power steering, I don't see how removing it would be too beneficial in any way.
Removing the EPS from a EP3 however, is a very good idea. The EPS motor itself weight a LOT, and by binning it AND the worm drive, you get a very good oldschool steering with loads of feel (one of the biggest problem IMO in the EP3).

- If you run bucket seats and harness then take out the oem restraints and airbags (replacing the steering wheel with a Nardi for example) The restraints weight quite a bit and so
does the airbags (the passager one is heavier). Removing one SRS component will disable the whole system anyway, and once disabled, u need the honda diagnostics tool to reset it...
- Rear wiper assembly. ugly and heavy.
- If you remove the plastic cover from the boot lid, there is a counterweight near the third brake light. it's just a chunck of unnecessary metal.
- Replace battery with a odyssey PC680.
- Interior floor mat. it's quite heavy for being just a mat, but it has a lot of sound deadening material under it.
- Exhaust manifold & cat, u probably have had this replaced already, but many doesn't even realize how heavy the stock parts are...
- Suspension. any set of coilovers will be lighten the front.
- Brakes, two piece front rotors. reducing weight here is always more beneficial than reducing it elsewhere.

I made 13.313s with this setup, and thats even before the RBC IM was discovered, so engine mods was just intake, exhaust, header, kpro. :) It really buggers me that I never got the car on a scale.

weggy

Advanced Member
Sorry for the delay been v busy
cheers for all the response

With the aircon it does seem like the inertia thing is the issue but I will have a look at it from what you guys have said. I have just accepted it as a sacrifice with the lightened fly wheel and as it was worth the loss then I never fussed to much. cheers for that.

As for my spec the standard exhaust system and cat is long gone and I am running coil overs so that side of things is ok. I am also running lighter wheel (rota's) 17" at the moment wet and dry but am going to change the dry ones to 15s so as to lower unsprung weight. As for the brakes I have got paul G 2 piece discs on the front so thanks kinli for the comments as I feel that I am going in the right direction at least.

As for the counter weight in the rear lid that is a great bit of advice to remember will definitely be getting shot of that with the rear wash wiper. As for the spare wheel I forgot to mention that but it will also be gone. The airbag issue is one that I will take up I forgot completely about them and how much they would weight so good shout on that. I will look into a steering wheel replacement.

As i am looking at bucket seats in the DC5 is it better to go for replacement rails or is it possible to fit side mounted straight to the car floor without to much hassle. I want them fixed in place (I am not fussed about adjustment) so as to get a better mount.

Cheers for all the assistance so far it is very appreciated

ab20000

Advanced Member
Stylesa said:
weggy said:

Don't remove the power steering, even the race teams keep it. I don't have air con or even a heater matrix and it's grim in the summer. If it's a track car go for it, remove all you can, if not I'd keep it standard, fixed buckets are great - on track, everywhere else they are horrible.

eXceed

Resident Driver
I have no aircon so can't help here I'm afraid. Also I can vouch that keeping power steering is a VERY good idea. I have arms like the hulk now :lol:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
I have no aircon so can't help here I'm afraid. Also I can vouch that keeping power steering is a VERY good idea. I have arms like the hulk now :lol:
Have you taken the power steering out? hence the hulk arms?

Im having no bother with my fixed bucket.....actually prefer them to the OEM seats. Not uncomfortable at all.