Advice needed on Integra Type R’s.

JasonM

I’m considering buying a Honda Integra Type R and need advice. I’ve searched and found this forum - hopefully you can give me the help I need.

My knowledge of Integra’s is limited - I don’t even know what versions or model variations there are, not even sat in one yet - whats a DC5? I’ve read a lot on review sites, and seen these cars on the road – I have a feeling the car could be for me. I’m not that bothered about comfort, or noise levels, however all-important are real road performance, a driver’s car is what I’m after and is why I’m considering this.

I have a budget of around £8k, £9 sensible tops. I’ve been looking and the Integra in the link below is the version I’m considering buying.

Click the following link.
http://www.autosearcher.co.uk/advert.as ... o=AL753952

Questions then, and I have many of them. I know there is import Integra’s, how do you distinguish one is an import or not. Are there any spec/trim differences to look out for? Are there any versions of the cars to avoid, certain years etc?

Servicing, goes without saying full service history is critical. What’s the typical servicing/running costs of an Integra, what are they like on fuel. When buying what do I look for, is there anything that commonly fails on them or are they all pretty bullet proof. What are the engines like, not just reliabity, but how do they drive.

If people can share their knowledge/experience it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jason Massey

JOM

Advanced Member
Link =DC2 the older version Integra
DC5 = new version from 2001 onwards

All DC5's are imports - they are not sold over here

Don't know anything about DC2's I am afraid as not had one.
For an import DC5 looking from £15k upwards

James

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Integra DC2 Prices from Parkers

1.8 Type-R 2d 2000/X
Average mileage: 30,000 miles
Dealer Retail £ 10790
Private Good £ 9830
Private Poor £ 6960
Trade £ 8180

1.8 Type-R 2d (AC) 2000/X
Dealer Retail £ 11130
Private Good £ 10140
Private Poor £ 7180
Trade £ 8435

1.8 Type-R 2d (AC+Alarm) 2000/X
Dealer Retail £ 11220
Private Good £ 10225
Private Poor £ 7240
Trade £ 8505

1.8 Type-R 2d (Alarm) 2000/X
Dealer Retail £ 10910
Private Good £ 9945
Private Poor £ 7040
Trade £ 8270

So, if the car is your link is an X-Reg then the prices look about right :)

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hello mate

there are also import versions of the DC2 (the one in your picture), You can tell the difference from the front lights. The UK have the rounded head lights (like in your pic) and the JDM or USA have flat headlights . Both are 1.8 VTECs whilst the DC5 (new shape) is 2.0 IVTEC.

As for ride and handling etc well some people say the DC2 is a road car but can be used on track and the DC5 is a Track car for the road..

But the car that you are after in your price range is a DC2.

Good luck with your buy and we may see you at a meet soon.

UW

JasonM

Thanks everyone, i'm getting up to speed very fast. I now know what a DC2 and DC5 is. Apart from here i've also been reading this
http://69.53.28.141/reviews.html

So what is the DC2 like to drive. How does it compare to other cars in standard form, handling wise whats it like on corners.

Nat

For that money you can get a DC2 in mint condition with mods as well as I did! I love it so am sure you will!

UW is right about the difference between import and UK - i do think the imports looks nicer than the UK though as i am not keen on the lights. (I would say that though!!) :lol: :lol:

Have fun test driving them!!!

Nat
:wink:

JasonM

Thanks Nat, so what are the cars like to drive then. I'm going to say Impreza Turbo because it's a common car lots have driven, how does the handling compare to that car.

I drive a moddied car with heavy suspension mods, koni's / braces /Potenza s03/ engine mods - you get the idea of the person I am.

From a drivers perspective what are these like. Are they good handling cars, or does the handling rip you out of the seat. As a driver do you find there is little that it can't stay with on real roads.

I need someone here that drives hard to speak to me about these cars.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
IMHO the ITR is a totally different beast to the scooby (both UW and myself have owned scoobys before)

The scooby is a lot more forgiving than the ITR, the ITR feels a lot more nimble. With the scoobys turbo kicking in at 3K rpm it is a lot quicker to reach and stay in the power band. With the ITR VTEC is at 6K rpm or so you really have to give the car some stick to get there and stay there. The ITR actually feels like you are giving it some! :wink:

Straight line:
0-30 The scooby feels quicker.
30-100+ Both feel equally fast.

The main thing I miss about by scooby is the sound :)

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Yep, that is a UK car. IMHO, I prefer the JDM, but then again I might just be biased. :lol:

The DC2 is a tremendous drivers car, had mine lowered on Koni's, with Spoon rear strut brace to tighten up the handling.
Also had the head ported/polished & skimmed, Carbon Airbox, Custom SS Exhaust, Unichip, and it was putting out 215BHP and 151lb/ft Torque with VTEC @4500!! :D :D
Used frequently round knockhill, and could keep pace in the straights with 250BHP Scoobs, and was quicker through the twisties. :xvtec:
Funniest thing I saw was a guy in a 230BHP Nissan 200sx trying to keep up with me.......twice he went into Clarke at the same pace as me, and twice he ended up spinning on the grass!! :lol:

I will say though that Sti's and Evo's will feel quicker cars, cause they have close to 300lb/ft of torque. Just drive one, and judge for yourself.

Got a DC5 now, but only had it 3 weeks, so I still have to give it the works in order to give a full comparision.

JasonM

Right, thats excellant. You have answered alot of questions.

So Koni make a kit for them then, I checked the main Koni site but nothing was listed. Important to know what mods are available before you buy a car.

So whats the difference between a UK spec DC2 and a JAP spec one. Is it just cosmetic, or are there any other differences.

Yes your right I need to drive one next. Will arange with Honda dealer that has one in stock.

So many questions, but i'm learning fast.