Advice on lacquering wind deflectors.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Hi Folks, I have an idea, but unsure if it would work or not.....

My wind deflectors are looking rather tired, I have compounded, Scratch X'd, waxed, sealed etc etc many a time, but like the common problem with headlights, they seem to always go cloudy again.

Now I'm not too fussed about making them look "brand new", just would like them to retain a bit of shine for longer than two weeks if possible. :)

I have currently taken them off as they keep becoming unstuck in this heat we have had, so whilst i'm on the search for some decent foam tape, I thought I would have ago at cleaning them up and then maybe lacquering them???

Can anyone recommend a decent "rattle can" lacquer, or the other idea I came up with was maybe using high temp lacquer, (like the one used for brake caliper refurbs.) for the simple reason they are likely to get hot again in the sun.??

Weather or not i'm talking gibberish I don't know, but any ideas I will be welcome to receive. :xyes:

They go from this....( which i'm happy with tbh)

To this....

Thanks guy's look forward to the responses.

James

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Save up £150 and buy new ones James! Sell yours to put the money towards new ones. That's what I did.

Brophy

Advanced Member
I would also like an ideas on this :( mines annoy me and I also do ultimate compound every so often but always go the same :(

Erm

Advanced Member
Only thing I could suggest is trying some Jetseal 109 sealant from chemical guys. If you're in the south near hertfordshire pass by one day after you've compounded them and i'll put a couple of coats on and see how that holds up.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
Save up £150 and buy new ones James! Sell yours to put the money towards new ones. That's what I did.
I hadn't thought about this, but want to spend money on suspension first. May be a thought for me to mull over. :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have brand new ones waiting to be fitted to mine. Haven't had the time. But I'm not going without this winter. They are in demand mate and yours are in good nick. Food for thought.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
opulent said:
Plastic is to flexible. It'll all crack and flake after a while
Interesting, I thought that plastic was "sprayable" if you like. lol

Thats fair enough, thanks for the heads up ;)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
I have brand new ones waiting to be fitted to mine. Haven't had the time. But I'm not going without this winter. They are in demand mate and yours are in good nick. Food for thought.
Hmmmmmm.

Exactly, I would miss them, they are excellent,! Even if mine did drip in stationary traffic when wet, but that was just lack of tape holding them on. haha I will do some thinking.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Erm said:
Only thing I could suggest is trying some Jetseal 109 sealant from chemical guys. If you're in the south near hertfordshire pass by one day after you've compounded them and i'll put a couple of coats on and see how that holds up.
Thanks for the very kind offer matey, thats abit of a treck for me though, :(

would be cheaper for me to buy and try. :) I shall have a chat with my local valeter guy and see if he has any I can pinch. :p

opulent

Advanced Member
Plastic is to flexible. It'll all crack and flake after a while

Interesting, I thought that plastic was "sprayable" if you like. lol

Thats fair enough, thanks for the heads up ;)

Can alway try, it can always be taken off with a little effort :)

Have you tried something like a long life coating? I found carpro perl to be very good plastics/ rubber quite long lasting. Just gotta get a good very clean base for it to go onto to last

Not tried it on smooth plastics like wind deflectors

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
opulent said:
Can alway try, it can always be taken off with a little effort :)

Have you tried something like a long life coating? I found carpro perl to be very good plastics/ rubber quite long lasting. Just gotta get a good very clean base for it to go onto to last

Not tried it on smooth plastics like wind deflectors
Ooooo that does look interesting, just googled it. Like you say, may be worth a shot to see how it goes. Cheaper, and less messy than lacquer, so think thats the winner for now. If not, it always doubles as tyre spray or engine dress up. xthumbup

opulent

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Ooooo that does look interesting, just googled it. Like you say, may be worth a shot to see how it goes. Cheaper, and less messy than lacquer, so think thats the winner for now. If not, it always doubles as tyre spray or engine dress up. xthumbup
go for it :) can buy sample size of perl. it dilutes down 1:1 and gives quite abit of product. save going and getting a full bottle of it

Josh16v

Advanced Member
You can get clear plastic primer. Prepare them properly and I don't see why they'd flake off.
2 coats primer and 2 coats clear (1 medium 1 wet) isn't a lot in terms of thickness to crack when flexing them into position.

That said, I've never tried wind deflectors just going off other experiences

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Josh16v said:
You can get clear plastic primer. Prepare them properly and I don't see why they'd flake off.
2 coats primer and 2 coats clear (1 medium 1 wet) isn't a lot in terms of thickness to crack when flexing them into position.

That said, I've never tried wind deflectors just going off other experiences
Thanks for the info mate, will now try and source some bits.

Cheers fellas

Mike_DC5

Advanced Member
After you have compounded them, clean the oils from the compounder with an IPA and then seal, Jetseal 109 as mentioned before is great stuff but there are many options, I have done my once, sealed and then used collinite 476 wax on top and they have never faded, same with my headlights.

Mike

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk