Advice on rust

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Im having a go at fixing the rust on the rear of the car under the bumper, mostly its not too bad but ive found one area of concern.

Its gone right through here so ive been exploring and got this far, now just wondering how i should attack it, does this need welding? Its between these two sheets of metal, do you think i can just clean it out, rust proof it and fibreglass a patch over?

I'll keep going with the rest but some advice on this asap would be appreciated.

WatkinsDW

I agree with the above. The only way you can almost guarantee it won't come back is to cut the effected area and weld fresh back in then treat it.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Ouch, yeah it will need to be cut out. I assume they usually take about 2 or 3 inches either side of the rust aswell just to make sure it doesn't spread. Then they will fashion a new plate to go in its place and probably prime it and under seal it. Whilst you are there you may want to think about getting all the stuff there undersealed at the same time.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
That was the idea, got my POR15 all ready to go so was removing all surface rust behind the bumper when I came across this, I'll get some new metal welded in then POR15 the lot myself after.

Thanks for the advice all :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Be brutal when cutting. Better to end up with a bigger hole but really good clean metal all the way around than miss a bit or it will be back :(

I hate rust. Constantly thinking I need to fully strip my car and treat everything. The british weather is just so cruel xthumbsdown