Advice on selling

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Im looking for a little advice on delling my DC5,

I need to sell it as im getting a company car due to the millage ill be doing.

I thought these cars flew off the Private sellers section?

Im prepaired to cut the cost to get it away but i dont want people thinking its a dodgy car.

cheers,

dotty

Advanced Member
Details on the car? If modded then strip to as standard as possible, as strange as it sounds people prefer the idea of a standard car.

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Market is tough at the moment, your DC5 is roughly the same as mine iirc, and sadly if you're not prepared to sell it for silly money £5k / £6k as people see others going for this price, then I think you're going to have a bit of a wait.

Grov

Banned
Put it up for sale on here, and TRO and CTRO. Make the add really well laid out with really clear pictures, and it should sell.

Just because rubbish one's go for 6k, doesn't mean a good one isn't worth 8k. Just gotta wait.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Ive got it up for sale here and i was going to put it on autotrader.

I will prob sell it for silly money just to get it away.

Would any of the traders not be able to give me cash for it, they could easily make £1000 on it?

Ive never had positive equity on a car so whatever i get will go towards a new car.

If anyone has any solutions give me a shout!!

Cheers!

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
If you don't mind going to a dealer they'd probably give you around £6k - £6750 max I'd have thought based on the enquiries i've made about cash sales for mine. Could try selling it back to Dicksons?

kingston

Advanced Member
Unless its an import dealer or someone used to selling imports, a normal dealer will offer you cat c/d money claiming they dont know what the market value is etc. or theyll have to put it through auction. however the closer to oem you are, youll prob get offered more

Manufacturer dealers in general will not take imports either, not even honda.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I have to say I haven't had a sniff on mine after over a week, despite positive comments on the price and the ad itself. It is fairly well-modded and good value at £8400 including the mods, but I am beginning to wonder if returning to standard is the way to go, not to squeeze more money out of it (which it will do), but to sell it full stop. Odd, as most of us end up modding cars like this and it's much cheaper to buy one done already than buy the parts yourself!

I don't really have the time or stomach for it and it seems ridiculous when I've spent so much time and money getting it just right, but ultimately it's someone else's loss not mine, as I'm selling it whether it's modded or standard!

There did seem to be a glut coming on the market at the exact same moment I put mine up for sale, maybe the time of year has a part to play?

dotty

Advanced Member
Always sell as standard as possible - Take a couple of days off and get it stripped!

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
My car is standard.

I havent stripped it for selling. I think its just a slow market.

I have had good offers in the past when i wouldnt have drempt of selling.

I paid 14,000 for it 4 years ago and was offered 12,000 only two years ago. :(

fingers crossed

cpoh

Advanced Member
I think it was inevitable that the price of these in the uk started to fall off. At the end of the day you are looking at a 10 year old car now. Prices in Ireland dropped from healthy 2-3 years ago to half what they were then now. Granted there are only a few tidy ones around for sale but a unblemished can be gotten for €7.5k and a work in progress for €5k.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
sadly its a buyers market, there are always new members signing up to the forum and they havent all bought their cars from here so they do sell , its just a little slow, like has been said above make the advert decent with good pictures will always help.

paul 16v

Advanced Member
I think with the price of fuel etc cars like ours are getting harder and harder to sell.. as people just can not justify the cost of running them.I thought about selling mine but realised its just not worth selling.. for what i would get for it.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Note this time round if I ever come back to vtec, which no doubt I will, depending how good a V6 actually is... I will be certainly getting a modded car than standard... the amount spent adding/taking off etc

Grov

Banned
Note this time round if I ever come back to vtec, which no doubt I will, depending how good a V6 actually is... I will be certainly getting a modded car than standard... the amount spent adding/taking off etc
Depends what V6 hehe.

Aly

Advanced Member
A good advert will get it sold plus marketing will help, check the newbie section for DC5less members and ask them to check your car out.

ofc you can do what everyone else has done and price is stupidly low which is why our cars are now worth alot less ahead of time..

If your under the 50K mark on miles then you can demand a lil higher than normal reguardless of age!

kingston

Advanced Member
Ironically those with 'decent' adverts still have their cars while those that offer little - next to no information tend to sell, going by here and pistonheads.

The market isnt what it used to be mainly due to a certain importer making next to no profit on them (ok, maybe other importers kept them artificially high but made more profit) and money was more freely available so supply out-stripped demand. Now theres not so much of a demand due to the recession but the pound to yen ratio is also poor which makes importing them expensive.

Some new buyers also would prefer to buy a fresh import than a UK owned one - not sure why as the Japs wont treat their cars any better/worse than us and atleast we speak the same language (in theory).

People also need to get over than hang ups of buying a 'low' mileage car and buy on condition and history of the car. Just because it is a low miler doesnt mean its been better treated than a high miler and despite it being peoples pride and joy, the cars are mass market and not really liable to break. The only major service it needs is valve clearance but this can be done at any time in its life.

Also with the summer holidays just gone, people who would have potentially brought before summer would have spunked their cash on the holiday and set them back by x amount.

Its not just the teg market thats slow but every market running from 1k excrementters to 2nd hand performance models

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
I got offered £3000 at the mazda dealers for my teg :(
I think ill wait on the private add selling.

Why would an import dealer not take a car thats already in the uk? Im happy tro sell it low so he could make a good proffit!

Grov

Banned
I got offered £3000 at the mazda dealers for my teg :(
I think ill wait on the private add selling.

Why would an import dealer not take a car thats already in the uk? Im happy tro sell it low so he could make a good proffit!
Hope you told em where to go for that. 3k is taking the urine.