Advice on steering wheel

dc5Arn

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I'm looking to purchase a DC5 which has an aftermarket steering wheel on it and it's looking like if you're car was fitted with an airbag originally then you need it for the MOT.

I was wondering if there can be any major, and costly, issues that you can come across when refitting a standard steering wheel?

Any thoughts and experience welcomed!

Thanks

Mebz

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I'm looking to purchase a DC5 which has an aftermarket steering wheel on it and it's looking like if you're car was fitted with an airbag originally then you need it for the MOT.

I was wondering if there can be any major, and costly, issues that you can come across when refitting a standard steering wheel?

Any thoughts and experience welcomed!

Thanks
MOT is only an issue if your SRS light is on which it shouldn't be if the wheel as been fitted properly.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As said above it’s the srs light being on that will make it an mot fail so if that’s been done right you’ll have no issues

dc5Arn

Thanks for the replies both.

That's what I assumed to begin with but I've done a bit of reading up on the internet over the past couple of days and it does appear that if the car was manufactured with, and left the factory with an airbag then it has to have one fitted to pass the MOT.

From what I've read the odd MOT tester will pass it but if they follow the rulebook then it's a major fail due to the actual airbag not being present.

I would much prefer the standard steering wheel just to save the head ache of always wondering if it will or won't pass based on the airbag issue.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies both.

That's what I assumed to begin with but I've done a bit of reading up on the internet over the past couple of days and it does appear that if the car was manufactured with, and left the factory with an airbag then it has to have one fitted to pass the MOT.

From what I've read the odd MOT tester will pass it but if they follow the rulebook then it's a major fail due to the actual airbag not being present.

I would much prefer the standard steering wheel just to save the head ache of always wondering if it will or won't pass based on the airbag issue.
That's fair enough mate, I have an OEM steering wheel here I may sell (8/10 condition and pretty much mint), I have sold the car so was going to put it in a glass box as a bit of a display bit in the garage, the oem ones are generally quote pricey so an alternative would be an EP3 one which is virtually identical or an anniversary edition EP3 one which is the same as oem (but will demand the same money)

dc5Arn

To bring up an old thread I got a second hand steering wheel and seats light went…. Unfortunately to looks more like an ep3 steering wheel which had been reformed.

I supposed with my mentioned that you were considering selling yourdc5 steering wheel…. How much would he take for it, if you were looking to s