Advice on track wheels

Lex259

Looking at getting a set of wheels for track days and would be grateful for any recommendations on size and offsets. When I was at TGM earlier this week I noticed that a couple of the integras there had 235 section fronts and 225 rears - is that a regular set up? Thanks!

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Im sure thats more to do with getting wheels to fit on the car? If personally run a square setup on a teg

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I run 225/45/17 all round on my track wheels which are oem dc5 wheels and nonissues and my arches are not rolled

I‘m not sure about going 235 in the front as I‘m sure it‘d hit and run on full lock, but over yet to try it personally

dc5ian

Advanced Member
i will be running 255 on the fronts with rotas. i may have to run a bit more camber then i would want, but hey grip is king right haha

Indi

Advanced Member
I've ran 255 up front and 225 on the rear. The reason people go reverse stagger is to get the car rotating more in most cases.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Indi said:
I've ran 255 up front and 225 on the rear. The reason people go reverse stagger is to get the car rotating more in most cases.
For people who track, not those trying to fit 9.5j wheels on lightweight fwd chassis.

Don't get staggered just because other people have it though, you need to find what suits your driving style. My driving style I wouldn't want to introduce any more rotation to the rear

Indi

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
For people who track, not those trying to fit 9.5j wheels on lightweight fwd chassis.

Don't get staggered just because other people have it though, you need to find what suits your driving style. My driving style I wouldn't want to introduce any more rotation to the rear
Yeah stagger setups aren't for everyone as some aren't confident with loose rear.

I've ran a few different setups even ran 245 square with a 28mm rear bar

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi mate can you run more than 225 without rolled arches and geo adjustments and without rubbing at all on inner arches on the front etc?

Indi

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate can you run more than 225 without rolled arches and geo adjustments and without rubbing at all on inner arches on the front etc?
Wheel offset dependent you can run 225 up front I think without rubbing but I've always had geo setup

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Wheel offset dependent you can run 225 up front I think without rubbing but I've always had geo setup

Ok thanks, yeah I run 225 all-round with no adjustment to geo (aside that applied by the mugen suspensions the wheels camber a bit with that but not bothered fitting my camber arms, bolts etc yet and without rolled arches running 225 all-round I have not had any issues or rubbing on or off track, wasn't sure if I could go slightly wider on the front maybe 235 etc.

spooke

Advanced Member
I run 245/40 9J ET40 front with a rear 215/45 7J ET43. The front clears fine but does catch on the arch liners, personally I've left it and just let it touch, I don't think it's dangerous just a few marks on the tyre and liner where they sometimes contact.

On track I found the stagger to be interesting to drive, my car has coilovers and has been corner balanced with -3 deg front camber and -1.30' deg rear camber. It seemed that the front just had too much grip and was either causing the car to understeer and run wide, this was with AD08R's and a passenger.

It was also my first time driving on the this setup so I'm not sure if I expected too much, to be fair it turned in well and seemed to corner well overall but I expected more, let's say it's not an easy drive. At one point the car lost grip after I turned in at 90mph and the back end just came round before I even realised that it was going and was too slow to catch it, definitely lack of experience and I took the corner incorrectly but it just seems too much to me unless you're doing time attack or something. Although it could have been my car tripoding.

I'd recommend a less aggressive stagger like 8/7J, with 235/225 and 215 tyres for track or a square 235/225 setup with a thicker rear arb and a geometry setup that will allow more rotation.

The other plus side is though that stagger looks epic :D

spooke

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
Apex is over here, Luke...

Honda Integra DC5 Type R at Bedford Autodrome by Adam Lister, on Flickr

:xhaha2:

OP, personally I wouldn't run staggered. On my 5 I ran 225/45R17 on 17x8 ET48 and the fit was perfect. No scrubbing, wheels right in line with the arches and lots and lots of grip.
Hey that's the kerb, this is the apex :xhaha:

I much preferred my 8/7J stagger I ran last time at Bedford, both ET47.

Fez

Advanced Member
Imo match your road wheels/tyre size, so at least you know how the car reacts etc what you're used to. And then as you get used to that or feel you need more grip get more aggressive.
I started out on standard wheels with 215's now made my way up slowly to 17x8 et43 235/40 front, et48 225/45 rear, which feels great, but now i've just bought new wheels 17x9 et38, where i'll be trying 245's front and 225 rear (rears are 8")

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
i will be trying 245 front 225 rear next week. moving up from 215 square. i have a progress rarb and polybush set aswell...