Advice req...Ebay buyer & Trade options

Newty

Advanced Member
Hi folks....

Just need a bit of input from some of the wise and experienced car junkies on this forum!!!

I have my car listed on Ebay (the cringes start already!) and have plenty of experience in ebay selling and buying. I also have loads of experience in noticing scam emails etc...but this one has got me caught out!!! A bloke has bid on my car, problem is he is in France. He has solid feedback for a number of different items bought from the UK and USA. He emailed to ask what my reserve is, which I wasn't willing to disclose until auction finishes. He then emailed my to tell me what his top bid is and that he would pay a deposit via PayPal and be able to collect from Liverpool Airport...with the rest of the cash. Typing this up, it seems iffy. The bloke types great english (the scammers usually are aweful and talk only about bank transfers and shipping the car out). I have replied with my concerns and also stated that IF i accepted, then a very large deposit would be needed...Does it seem dumb that I am even blinking at this????

Secondly, and more of an enquiry, if I want to go to a trader and trade DOWN to a less expensive diesel motor...is it realistic to expect that they would give you money for your higher valued car? Or they would, but I'd take a huge hit on the value of my car? If that makes sense.

Comments, constructive of course, welcome!!!

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
I would be very wary of selling or buying anything of a large value from ebay mate

Can you try find out more about the interested party???

Try typing his details in to google it might give you some more info

As for trading your car in off one of a lesser value i cant see any dealers going to give you what "we" would no the car is worth

HTH, Darren :)

Newty

Advanced Member
darquinn2006 said:
I would be very wary of selling or buying anything of a large value from ebay mate

Can you try find out more about the interested party???

Try typing his details in to google it might give you some more info

As for trading your car in off one of a lesser value i cant see any dealers going to give you what "we" would no the car is worth

HTH, Darren :)
The bloke says he has bought 13 cars from the UK, the last one a Skyline R33 which he paid for in full via paypal before picking up...he has offered a £5k deposit by PayPal, rest on pick up...he has even give me his facebook name so I can look at the UK cars he has bought. Maybe a French dealer? Is it hard to get these, and other performance cars, in France???

Thing is, I bought the car off Ebay from someone in Aberdeen, didn't look at it etc etc and paid in full via bank transfer and also paid to have the car transported down to me...so I know there are genuines out there...would I be so sceptical if he was in England????

Also, if I got paid a load by PayPal, this is safe is it not? Much safer than giving out bank details? Its not even like he has offered a stupid amount...it is below what I am looking for...hmmm, what to do, what to do!!!

rodney

Advanced Member
I sold my DC2 to a French chap, super keen which made me wary but they simply can't get the car's they wish to have in France so they are quite willing to pay the money.

He was a really nice chap, gave me a bottle of wine when the transaction was done.

Do a bit of homework and I would think you would be ok, the sale was through itr-dc2.com however. (unknown user)

Rob

sinbad

Advanced Member
Why use paypal when it has sooo many pitfalls?

Take a small deposit via paypal to secure the car (non-refundable), THEN when he arrives with the remaining cash, drive straight to the bank and have it checked by them. Once it has been deposited into your account only then do you hand over the keys. simples...

john boy

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
Why use paypal when it has sooo many pitfalls?

Take a small deposit via paypal to secure the car (non-refundable), THEN when he arrives with the remaining cash, drive straight to the bank and have it checked by them. Once it has been deposited into your account only then do you hand over the keys. simples...
sounds like the best way,when i got mine i paid some cash the rest bankers draft so did not have big wedge of cash on me,went to the bank after i had a test drive and a good look arround car to pay the man his money for the car,it could cost you a bit if he pays you allot via paypal! due to there cost etc.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yep ask for less via paypal and the rest in cash (he is only allowed to bring 10K tho i think from france but i could be wrong,)

meet him at the airport and if he is happy go to a bank together and pay it in.

i think it is possible to revoke paypal monies after the event and how hard would it be to do a facebook page with some fake info for a free car??? (if it was a scam) for me the facebook page means nothing, if he has history with UK jap car buying then maybe have a look over on GTRoc etc??

Rob R

Advanced Member
If he's bought cars off ebay before check his feedback for the completed listings and try and contact the seller/s to get their opinion perhaps?

Newty

Advanced Member
Looked the bloke up on other forums. He has bought before and each deal has gone through smooth...money safely transfered etc. Must be some sort of dealer????

Is it really difficult for our foreign cousins to import 'good' cars??? I looked on an Evo site and some blokes on there had sold their cars to peeps in Sweden, Germany and France...If I'd carried on looking, probably more!!!

hondafreek

Advanced Member
If he is transferring you money via Paypal, I don't see the problem. When he pitches up with the remaining cash, like some of the other lads said, take him with you to pay it in, and job done, either way, with the cash from the paypal transfer, that woukld cover your trouble if it turned out to be dodgy.