Advice with Brakes please???

Stewlark

Advanced Member
When I got my DC5, I have often thought the Brakes are not as sharp as what they should be. So recently changed the brake fluid and installed braided brake lines. It has improved it but not as much as i hoped. So anyway time has gone on and just got the brake callipers re-sprayed and they needed to bleed the brakes. Got the car back and they are more loose than they were before.
My mechanic had previously checked the discs and pads and said they had meat still on them. Called today and explained whats happened and got it booked in with him next tuesday. He said it might be something to do with the master cylinder or air in the brakes. Does this sound right? does anyone else know what it might be?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Sounds right, but unlikely its the master cylinder unless he's pressure bled the system and the pressure has broke a seal on it but thats unlikely too, more likely he's changed the fluid and not bled them enough.

I've heard that sometimes when you do a fluid change you have to bleed them, then go out and use the brakes a bit (normally this can be combined with the bedding in process if you have changed the pads and/or discs), then come back and bleed them again. Also heard sometimes air can become trapped in the ABS system but I've never heard of this on a DC5.

Sounds like he knows what he's doing, i wouldnt worry, just go back and get them looked at again.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
only when i push hard on the brakes does it bite. I won't do any harm using the car until he done his thing will i?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
sounds normal to me, the brakes have pretty much no instant bite, just a smooth gradual modulation of bite.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
sounds normal to me, the brakes have pretty much no instant bite, just a smooth gradual modulation of bite.
no this a whole lot of nothing and then at the end something, a bit like the b16 engine

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If the calipers were fully stripped then everything has to bed in again. It sounds a bit odd considering your putting all the same bits back but after being resprayed and bled mine felt appalling to begin with but they gradually improved and feel great again now.

Stewlark

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
If the calipers were fully stripped then everything has to bed in again. It sounds a bit odd considering your putting all the same bits back but after being resprayed and bled mine felt appalling to begin with but they gradually improved and feel great again now.
Hmm maybe I should just go out for a blast on some Welsh B roads then... That should fix it!