AEM ECU

phil r

Advanced Member
Had a talk with a aem tuner myself , told me decat , itg drop in filter could get 240 bhp but it would be good if any one has it done to see how it comes up against the kpro & mods , but there is a few issues as simon miskely pointed out but would be good to get some facts on the forum :wink:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
one ecu will not make power, it only controls it, it will make no more than a kpro or any other type it can't, you will not ever acheive 240 with a drop in and a decat whoever tunes it.

hopefully we will be testing an aem ems soon on my wifes s2000

George K

Advanced Member
The tuner to whom I spoke made much more realistic claims, but interestingly did not place much emphasis on alternative IK's or exhaust systems - but did rate a good set of headers.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Which tuner have you been talking to ? not a chap called Dan Turner by anychance ?

Problem with the AEM, is that it can't control the inlet cam angle, thus without this, then engine is then just a Vtec unit, instead of i-Vtec.

AEM ECU is more suitable for K series engine swop cars.... as it does not work fully with the OEM DC5 multiplex system.

HTH

Mike

George K

Advanced Member
Mike - thanks - you are quite right, Dan was at the Autosport show. He claims that he can set cam angle in 2 degree increments.

phil r

Advanced Member
George K said:
The tuner to whom I spoke made much more realistic claims, but interestingly did not place much emphasis on alternative IK's or exhaust systems - but did rate a good set of headers.
yep same bloke I spoke to odviously has made the goal post a bit narrower by the sounds of it didnt mention header when I spoke to him last year at the motorsort show as well but he could have mean't header I suppose when talking about decat , :xgrin:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
George K said:
Mike - thanks - you are quite right, Dan was at the Autosport show. He claims that he can set cam angle in 2 degree increments.
Yes... I saw the 'twit' today George... not to speak too... as I thought it was best I stay clear.... and not make a seen at the Autosport Show in public....

I'm running a AEM atm... thanks to 'twit'..... I wouldn't again... my new tuner contacted AEM direct, to see if they had patched their problems with the inlet cam... (to save me the cost of another ECU), the answer - NO.

I bet the 'twit' never mentioned the multiplex issues either....

Mike

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
As i have said on many posts previously i really believe you will not beat a kpro as an ecu in a road/trackday car. (or anything that retains i vtec)
It will give yo the best cold start and part throttle drivability Full stop, as this is effectively using Hondas maps for this.

If i was building a no expense spared race car with VTEC killer cams (a la BTCC) which remove the vtec/ivtec then AEM/Autronics, Motec or Toca (TGM have one in the 24hr car) would be my choice,

Adding a water temp guage is possible using the aem as long as you use their guage too, but its expensive..

The only real advantage i can see is the onboard datalogging and even that on an NA car isn't worth much
live mapping , traction control (only when accelerating)

We use AEM's on all of our race engines, it does control the cam phasing VTC function on the inlet cam. The AEM offers real time mapping and has a whole host of useful diagnostic features which can be useful for fault finding that the Hondata does not have.

POST EDITED - DMF is not a Authorised Trader on this forum, posts will be edited / removed when they contain reference to Business.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
DMFPERFORMANCE said:
sirus said:
Do not use Dan Turner..... pm me if you want to know why. :oops: :oops:
Whats happened guys? I use AEM's whats been going on.
Dan.... you know my reaction at Brands in Dec on the HOT day... Mr Turner is the reason for this......

I'm like Sirus, been their, been taken the biscuit out of, never again.....

Mike

jostrom

Advanced Member
DMFPERFORMANCE said:
...and has a whole host of useful diagnostic features which can be useful for fault finding that the Hondata does not have.
Please give examples of this! I'm really interested hearing what these diagnostics features are.